75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

I am afraid to say this, but it looks we have a self-fulfilling prophecy. How many times did we discuss in the 10188 forum to expect an updated box with Disney or UCS logo, and also expected updated minifigures? Last year, many folks here were spying on the last available boxes of 10188 in stores in order to report if any updates were done so far. I think a large fraction of the community was expecting an update. However, that it turned out as a new set with a new number is what only few expected in their wildest dreams. As a protest against the Lego company, I changed my profile photo to Playmobile's Playmospace!:baby:

I'm thinking:

1. disappointing sales for TLG in the first 1-2 years of 75159, because any buyer who researches this stuff will find the old one at $50-$100 off better value

2. if 75159 survives 2 years, 10188 inventory will have been worn down, and 75159 will see an uptick in sales due to 10188's rarity.

That is assuming:

a) 3p sellers don't price 10188 too close to the $500 mark

b ) 75159 doesn't go on permanent 20% off sale (ala Pirate Chess)

8 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

If the quote is from a LEGO source, then they have obviously read all the negative reviews. Once again, a remake is angering more people than pleasing. Remakes of classic sets are bad for business in the long term, regardless of some short term success.

It will destroy or damage the secondary market and give the impression LEGO is lazy and uncreative. This quote, if legit, is unfounded in the LEGO universe. Basically they are saying this is an anomaly and just go with it, we won't mess around with any more remakes (10179?). This is an excellent indicator, if true, that LEGO does listen to fans and is worried about losing them in my opinion.

they sent me the same comment after the remake of WV TS

Remake of a remark...

2 minutes ago, ZULU said:

they sent me the same comment after the remake of WV TS

Remake of a remark...

When was the Winter Village remark released with relation to the actual press or set release?  After I think.  The 75159 comment was before set release and same time as press release.  They knew there would be complaints.  All we can do is complain on the forums and to customer service, leave negative (but constructive) reviews. and not buy the set as a form of protest.

2 minutes ago, Lego Templar said:

I left a bad review for the AOH gave it 1 star and they removed my review. Seems they pick and choose what they allow as reviews. I guess if you're going to leave a review on the site make sure it's a 2-3 (seems 1s get taken down lol)

So that's why they don't have the time to notify ebay/amazon when the fakes pop up - they are too busy looking for negative reviews to delete.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lego Templar said:

I left a bad review for the AOH gave it 1 star and they removed my review. Seems they pick and choose what they allow as reviews. I guess if you're going to leave a review on the site make sure it's a 2-3 (seems 1s get taken down lol)

Did you leave the review before release date? I noticed they cleared the reviews for AoH that were posted before it was actually out. 

Did you leave the review before release date? I noticed they cleared the reviews for AoH that were posted before it was actually out. 

The first one was before release. I noticed that and redid it (worded differently) not using words like "ashamed, upset, disappointed in Lego, etc) and it still got removed the 2nd time. Lmao...I don't even read reviews if you look EVERY item they sell is always like 4-5 stars! Rarely you see a 3.

Maybe if you give it 4 stars and say it's the worse thing ever they may keep it...

Basically leaving a truly negative comment is a waste of time but that being said maybe make the person who monitors their site want to quit their job or file for medical leave from carpal tunnel from clicking delete to much...

I still think we should hold signs outside Lego!

80a3fe0634a66411f68c9c8092a220df.jpg
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

I think the term Death Star is politically incorrect for kids and should be banned.  "Confidential SW Direct 2" sounds more impressive anyway.

I think there's potential in this approach.  The Death Star needs to be brought to the attention of a hypersensitive cultural lobbying group of some kind, who can pressure Lego to discontinue at once this offensive toy that resembles their Sacred Marble of Specialness.  Or something.  It worked for Jabba's Palace anyway.  We'll never see a remake of 9516.

4 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

I think there's potential in this approach.  The Death Star needs to be brought to the attention of a hypersensitive cultural lobbying group of some kind, who can pressure Lego to discontinue at once this offensive toy that resembles their Sacred Marble of Specialness.  Or something.  It worked for Jabba's Palace anyway.  We'll never see a remake of 9516.

not that the controversy propped up the 9516's resale value....

• Like 2