75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

13 hours ago, Ciglione said:

I am not buying any of this sh1t lego is selling anymore. They could have learned their lessons after the toy shop. But obviously they didn't. So what keeps them from rehashing other sets now? If one deer is over the dam...

Yeah, they are listening to customers like an autist.

• Like 1

The thing is whats classed as a 'classic set' these days ?! If the UCS emblem gets chucked about like confetti on sets such as AOH then the 'classic status' goes out the window with it?! We've already seen remakes of Slave1 and the SC.  Yes the remakes were far more superior but whats to say its not going to happen again? We can all except remakes of a city Police station and a entry level Falcon, but if this is a sign of the times then its bad for the secondary market period.  I guess it boils down to how quickly the 'remake' is produced and the diversity of it.

10188 was a classic set. The 75159 is not. Remakes happen all the time and have happened for 50 years. I am talking about collectible sets, not generic CITY or STAR WARS sets. There have been over 50+ versions of TIE Fighters and X-Wings and the secondary market wasn't affected. At least the new Red 5 was different. I can accept that. I can accept the new Sandcrawler. The 75159 is not acceptable. They mailed it in.
  • Like 2

On 30-8-2016 at 5:10 PM, Fenix_2k1 said:

You know when your other half walks in the house looking all happy with herself and says "Well..........?" And you know she must have changed something but you've no idea what.

This is the Lego equivalent. 

Let's hope the remake of the DS was something they could not stop anymore and they did actually learn...

1 minute ago, Ed Mack said:

10188 was a classic set. The 75159 is not. Remakes happen all the time and have happened for 50 years. I am talking about collectible sets, not generic CITY or STAR WARS sets. There have been over 50+ versions of TIE Fighters and X-Wings and the secondary market wasn't affected. At least the new Red 5 was different. I can accept that. I can accept the new Sandcrawler. The 75159 is not acceptable. They mailed it in.

Exactly. Look at how many iterations of x-wings and tie fighters LEGO have to choose from. WIth DS they have 3. there was an opportunity to create a new DS (or Star Killer Base), but they chose to rehash an old model with marginal improvements. "LEGO "my" wallet thanks you, but others hate you."

In terms of 10188 being a great seller? Perhaps, but this little fun fact, which I didn't know until this am, is surprising. See the write up here.

• What is the best selling Lego set ever made?
The Lego Mindstorms Robotics Invention System set is the best-selling Lego set ever. Over 1 million of these have been sold globally since their launch.

• Like 1

From what I recall, the UCS X-Wing (re-released as the Red 5) was not accepted at the time (and it absolutely impacted the original one permanently).

As we enter into the new world of blatant rehashes, we can look back now and view the Red 5 as being so different - but we certainly didn't believe that at the time.

Who knows, in a couple years (when they start re-releasing sets with the same exact pieces, packaging, etc) we might look back at this DS rehash and say "at least they used to update the set a little bit".

Edited by KShine

17 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

I am not buying any of this sh1t lego is selling anymore. They could have learned their lessons after the toy shop. But obviously they didn't. So what keeps them from rehashing other sets now? If one deer is over the dam...

Not sure about that.  By the time backlash from Toy Shop was in full force in November 2015, it was most likely too late to cancel 75159 and replace it with a different UCS set.

3 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Not sure about that.  By the time backlash from Toy Shop was in full force in November 2015, it was most likely too late to cancel 75159 and replace it with a different UCS set.

So you keep 10188 until you do. Still seems strange it isn´t a Rogue One set.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Than why the statement at the release of the toyshop? If they already knew this disgrace was in the works?

Like when they obviously learned from reading all the negative views about the Toy Shop, not to mention the other negative rehash opinions (Iconic Easter Chicken, UCS Hoth, etc).

We don't need to keep making excuses for them, and assuming that they will change (now that they know the truth, which by the way, they already knew)

What we need to do is learn from their behavior, and what we have learned is that LEGO will lie - Retired, Exclusive mean nothing. Yes, they might tweak this or that, justifying the lie with some legalese excuses - but it is nonsense.

We will see. I don't know if this is a legit LEGO release, but if it is, someone is listening and trying to smooth over this release. Now that doesn't mean they will not remake another major set or actually change policy and designs because of it, but it is very unique to the LEGO universe. They never respond to the secondary market. This statement has "secondary market" and "collectors" written all over it.

Now in days, bad press and feedback reaches everywhere and LEGO might be concerned their "new" showpiece is being attacked on many forums. They don't like it when their name is associated with terms like lazy, deceptive, tired, overpriced, uncreative, ripoff, and so on. Like you, the "retired" moniker used to mean something to me. Now, who knows what it means. If you cannot trust LEGO to do the right thing, who can you trust?
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% in agreement with you.  As you say, remakes of the day to day sets are acceptable.  I had high hopes for 10188, and planned to tuck them away for a few years, now I've sold off my stock and moved on.  I guess the question now is, how long is it safe to hold stock for, classic or not? Hopefully Lego will prove themselves over the next few years, we'll have to wait to see another big set SW retire be it the SC or EV and hope and pray something similar doesn't pop up a year later based on the fact it was a good seller at the time.  Failing that, you sale 6 months after retirement, make a small profit and move on.  

Just now, Val-E said:

So you keep 10188 until you do. Still seems strange it isn´t a Rogue One set.

Plan for 75159 depended on 10188 being retired.  So if production for 75159 was already on the way then 10188 was practically retired.

Just now, Ciglione said:

Than why the statement at the release of the toyshop? If they already knew this disgrace was in the works?

Who knew if that statement was from LEGO management or from a crafty Costumer Service rep?  All we knew was the statement was pulled off from the system soon after.

10 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

If you cannot trust LEGO to do the right thing, who can you trust?

DISNEY! Oh wait that doesn't work either.

What I'd love to hear is some input, confidential of course, from well respected LEGO designers on the issues surrounding rehashing sets.

Edited by pstebbing

1 minute ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Who knew if that statement was from LEGO management or from a crafty Costumer Service rep?  All we knew was the statement was pulled off from the system soon after.

Believe me... Lego does not release any press statement without thoroughly checking its content. If they pulled the statement back it means they might have decided about the 10188 rehash around that period. Which would fit. After all they did not need much time for redesigning cause it is basically the same thing.

Though I'd add this to the fun. (Via Brickfan)

LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) Officially Announced

Posted: 31 Aug 2016 03:05 PM PDT

LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159)

LEGO has finally announced the next LEGO Star Wars Ultimate Collector’s Series set with the updated Death Star (75159). It hasn’t been much of a secret the past couple of weeks but there are now official details of the set. It will have 4,016 pieces and retails for $499.99 which is 213 pieces and $100 more than the recently retired 10188 version.

Although there are many, many fans that aren’t impressed with it, the main appeal is to those who weren’t able to get the previous version or for new LEGO fans who has just started collecting LEGO Star Wars sets. I do understand the animosity against the new set when it was first “revealed” because there are very minor updates to it but at a higher price point. For those individuals, that means you can save your money and use it on other LEGO sets that interest you more.

One thing to note in the press release notes was that the UCS Death Star (75159) is not an indication of any future re-release or set updates.

75159 Death Star™
Ages 14+. 4,016 pieces.
US $499.99 – CA $599.99 – DE 499.99€ – UK £399.99 – DK 4499.00 DKK
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.

Win the battle for the Empire with the awesome Death Star!

Reenact amazing scenes from the Star Wars saga with the Empire’s ultimate planet-zapping weapon—the Death Star! With over 4,000 pieces, this fantastic model has a galaxy of intricate and authentic environments, including a superlaser control room, Imperial conference chamber, hangar bay with moving launch rack and Lord Vader’s TIE Advanced with space for Vader inside, Emperor Palpatine’s throne room, Droid maintenance room, detention block, trash compactor, tractor beam, cargo area, turbo laser with spring-loaded shooters and seats for the 2 Death Star Gunners, and 2 movable turbo laser towers. This fantastic set also includes 23 iconic minifigures and 2 Droids to ensure hours of Star Wars battle fun.

• Includes 23 minifigures: Grand Moff Tarkin, Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Imperial Navy Officer, Imperial Officer, 2 Stormtroopers, 2 Death Star Troopers, 2 Emperor’s Royal Guards, 2 Death Star Gunners, Death Star Droid, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Chewbacca, Princess Leia, C-3PO, Han Solo, Han Solo (disguise), Luke Skywalker (Tatooine), Luke Skywalker (disguise) and Luke Skywalker (final duel), plus R2-D2, an Imperial Astromech and a Dianoga trash compactor monster.

• Features a superlaser control room, Imperial conference chamber, hangar bay with moving launch rack and detachable TIE Advanced with space for Lord Vader inside, Emperor Palpatine’s throne room, Droid maintenance room, detention block, trash compactor, tractor beam, cargo area, turbo laser with spring-loaded shooters and seats for the 2 Death Star gunners, and 2 movable turbo laser towers.

• Weapons include 3 Lightsabers, 4 blasters, 3 blaster pistols, 4 blaster rifles, 2 force pikes, 2 Force Lightning elements and a bowcaster.

• Load up and fire the turbo laser’s spring-loaded shooters to keep the rebels at bay.

• Maneuver Lord Vader’s TIE Advanced into position and prepare for launch.

• Battle the Royal Guard in the throne room and then take on Palpatine himself!

• Help Leia escape from the detention block and swing to safety with Luke across the chasm!

• Will Obi-Wan shut down the tractor beam and help the rebels defeat the Empire?

• Can you spot the Dianoga trash compactor monster?

• Recreate other unforgettable scenes from the classic Star Wars films.

• The perfect addition to any LEGO® Star Wars collection.

• This set offers an age-appropriate building experience for ages 14 and over.

• Measures over 16” (41cm) high, and 16” (42cm) wide.

Available for sale directly through LEGO® beginning
September 30, 2016 via shop.LEGO.com, LEGO® Stores or via phone.

LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159)

The post LEGO Star Wars UCS Death Star (75159) Officially Announced appeared first on The Brick Fan.

1 hour ago, pstebbing said:

In terms of 10188 being a great seller? Perhaps, but this little fun fact, which I didn't know until this am, is surprising. See the write up here.

• What is the best selling Lego set ever made?
The Lego Mindstorms Robotics Invention System set is the best-selling Lego set ever. Over 1 million of these have been sold globally since their launch.

Isn't that purely because they are used a lot in education? I'm pretty sure that mindstorms wouldn't be No.1 if it wasn't for all the schools and universities.

• Like 1

If you don't like the new DS (and who does?), you can call Lego and complain about it.  I did.  Just use the 800 number in the catalog (1-800-453-4652) and at the website.  Lego reps are happy to pass on comments/suggestions/complaints.  And with Lego, you will get an American (in the US anyway) who speaks fluent English, not a call center on Mars.  They won't ban your account for making the call (I suggest not mentioning that you're a reseller, but it's your call), and it's a more useful approach to stopping future remakes than posting here (nothing wrong with that; just do both!). 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

If you don't like the new DS (and who does?), you can call Lego and complain about it.  I did.  Just use the 800 number in the catalog (1-800-453-4652) and at the website.  Lego reps are happy to pass on comments/suggestions/complaints.  And with Lego, you will get an American (in the US anyway) who speaks fluent English, not a call center on Mars.  They won't ban your account for making the call (I suggest not mentioning that you're a reseller, but it's your call), and it's a more useful approach to stopping future remakes than posting here (nothing wrong with that; just do both!). 

ghostdad,  people want to vent. we let them.  ignore the venting posts.

i do like your suggestion. people who are unhappy with 10188 part deux  /rehash can call lego reps but better yet, review 75159 poorly on shop@home and social media.  twitter is good for this.  EVERYONE sees pretty much EVERYTHING.