40139 - Gingerbread House

capsa77

All the people that should have been buying Pet Shops! Incredible how some sets are able to buck the trend for no apparent reason.

But there is an apparent reason. Someone cornered the market. Check out BrickLink sales. This was a promo & not available for 5 years to the general public.
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

But there is an apparent reason. Someone cornered the market. Check out BrickLink sales. This was a promo & not available for 5 years to the general public.

Something doesn´t add up. This was selling for 30-40 euros on Ebay Europe until this week and now it is between 60 and 90.

Something doesn´t add up. This was selling for 30-40 euros on Ebay Europe until this week and now it is between 60 and 90.

How are you still lost. There is no question mark because this is not a question.  

This was selling approximately 10 a month. Then I think like 17 last month. Then over 100 this month. I think to the same person & possibly a couple of innocent bystanders.

28 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

How are you still lost. There is no question mark because this is not a question.  

This was selling approximately 10 a month. Then I think like 17 last month. Then over 100 this month. I think to the same person & possibly a couple of innocent bystanders.

Walk me through this like I'm a four year old. You think one person gobbled all of these up for the past several months on the secondary markets and now has them all and is selling for double what he/she paid for them? Surely there are just too many copies of these to actually be able to do that with... right??

10 minutes ago, mfortunek said:

Walk me through this like I'm a four year old. You think one person gobbled all of these up for the past several months on the secondary markets and now has them all and is selling for double what he/she paid for them? Surely there are just too many copies of these to actually be able to do that with... right??

It's called a buyout and it happens with collectibles all the time. It works when the supply is low--there aren't that many GBHs out there compared to something mainstream like the AT-AT. 

I don't think this unnamed individual cornered all the GBHs... just the low priced ones on Bricklink. 

• Like 3

I guess I really overestimated how many were out there. I've had three in a box for almost two years now and worried last month that the new winter set would be a full size GBH so I've been telling myself it's time to sell. Looks like I'm safe on that front (for the moment) but it's hard to decide whether to pounce now like a biking tiger and sell them or wait until December 1. I mean, how high can a tiny set like this actually go? I would have thought $100 was the hard ceiling until an hour ago when this thread sprang to life.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mfortunek said:

I guess I really overestimated how many were out there. I've had three in a box for almost two years now and worried last month that the new winter set would be a full size GBH so I've been telling myself it's time to sell. Looks like I'm safe on that front (for the moment) but it's hard to decide whether to pounce now like a biking tiger and sell them or wait until December 1. I mean, how high can a tiny set like this actually go? I would have thought $100 was the hard ceiling until an hour ago when this thread sprang to life.

I don´t think you would regret listing one for 200 USD. Our cornering friends might not appreciate the market being flooded with new listings - or maybe they will....

Edited by Val-E

1 hour ago, biking_tiger said:

It's called a buyout and it happens with collectibles all the time. It works when the supply is low--there aren't that many GBHs out there compared to something mainstream like the AT-AT. 

I don't think this unnamed individual cornered all the GBHs... just the low priced ones on Bricklink. 

And I know they are located on the east coast :drag:

Well, this is interesting.  I think I've still got 4-5 of these in my Lego closet.  I guess TLG's not going to be finding a stash of these to sell one weekend like they did the Snowglobe.  Too bad - the price of GBH might drop, but we'd still be getting a $100+ set for free. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Jedi said:

Well, this is interesting.  I think I've still got 4-5 of these in my Lego closet.  I guess TLG's not going to be finding a stash of these to sell one weekend like they did the Snowglobe.  Too bad - the price of GBH might drop, but we'd still be getting a $100+ set for free. 

A lot of people seem to have multiple units in their closets for a set that is supposedly scarce. We went through this with Town Hall and 41999 before. Maybe all Brickpickers should list their stock at 199.99 and see what happens. Maybe the market cornerer will list theirs cheaper as it seems a bargain?

34 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

What the?!?!? This boggles my mind and has now made me regret participating in this promo back then. 

Check out the Amazon.com sales data. This bad boy went from around 42k in ranking (on a good day) to 409 this week (more or less what 75105 Falcon ranks at and higher than all the new TLJ sets except BB8).  Sellers down from 35 to 4 and starting price from 69 USD to a high of 318 USD (now 294). If you prefer Fleeced By Amazon prices then it´s 450 USD backordered.

Michael Jackson eating popcorn meme placeholder.

Edited by Val-E

24 minutes ago, bagalux said:

Something is dodgy as FUDGE. This has happened over the past bunch of days, someone (or several people together) must have decided to vacuum and own the market for this set, probably for the upcoming Xmas?

But I don't see this ending well.

If you can get a price anywhere near this top - take it and run.

Edited by KShine