40139 - Gingerbread House

capsa77

14 hours ago, Poly 30286 said:

Within 2 hours of filing the NPB, the buyer took the X and I was able to cancel the order. It's all still very suspicious... There was no communication, no response to my message, but they allowed the hit almost immediately. 

I relisted at $50, and "found a new buyer" overnight. Invoiced this am. Just got paid. I couldn't stomach selling for more than $50

Glad that worked out. Yeah, I've been more than a little suspicious of a few bogus orders I've received.

22 minutes ago, Haay said:

But until this 'tulip' bubble bursts, I will still try to cash in on the last remaining 40139 MISB set I have. :) 

Where are you going to sell them? On Marktplaats they are "hoovering" around €25,-. Not quiet the prices you see here in this topic.

Still have 5 of this set MIB. Find it difficult to sell this little 'one of a kind' and adorable set. But then again I realise it's the stupist thing you can do, to get attached to your 'to sell' stock.

44 minutes ago, Pietsma said:

Where are you going to sell them? On Marktplaats they are "hoovering" around €25,-. Not quiet the prices you see here in this topic.

Still have 5 of this set MIB. Find it difficult to sell this little 'one of a kind' and adorable set. But then again I realise it's the stupist thing you can do, to get attached to your 'to sell' stock.

Since this Gingerbread House Bubble is happening outside of The Netherlands (outside of Europe even?) it's no use to expect spectacular results on Marktplaats. 

Regarding the attachment value ... I ever had four of this set, received with various LEGO Shop at Home purchases. I opened one for our own Christmas Lego scene, sold two of them already in the past, and have one left now to sell at a hopefully nicely inflated price. :)  

And if there are no takers this round then I'll just save it one more year and try again next year. At least the held-back stockpile of 40139 boxes will have considerably thinned out by then! ;)

1 hour ago, Pietsma said:

This is the perfect set to offer for international Shipping. At 60-75 euros on Ebay or Bricklink, you should get a sale pretty quickly to some fruitcake that got sucked in to the hype. Just be careful with Paypal and returns and not to wait too long because there are more and more sellers coming out of the woodwork and the price is only going in the same direction as Saturn V.

It´s interesting that quite a few buyers have given negative reviews on Amazon but none are from this year. Some are even bonkers enough to give it 4 or 5 stars and then complain how tiny it is!

5 minutes ago, Shewie said:

September 2017
Brickpickerzz have discovered the power of the internet Influencers.

Imagine what' have happened with sales of the Disney Castle after David Beckham's post on Instagram.

When a third of UCS Falcon buyers say they are going to get one the first day at full retail and are putting together all sorts of logistical operations to guarantee it, one wonders who is influencing who.

We may need to consider sending this woman some money in order to promote our ToO, Joker Steamrollers and Chima Firebikes, though. One can only imagine the chaos if she starts on Saturn V.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Val-E said:

Viva las Soccer Moms! This is just a repeat of Beanie Babies mania - you might have made more than 100 by holding a week or two, but the market is already showing more and more listings so if you are happy with the selling price, no regrets and reinvest in 60155 Advent Calendars, which is the other set she is promoting.

Tatoo-Letter.jpg

I spent the summer of 1998 selling Beanie Babies. I still feel dirty taking over 10k off a dad for buying 4 "collectable dolls"... just... ouch. 

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Val-E said:

When a third of UCS Falcon buyers say they are going to get one the first day at full retail and are putting together all sorts of logistical operations to guarantee it, one wonders who is influencing who.

We may need to consider sending this woman some money in order to promote our ToO, Joker Steamrollers and Chima Firebikes, though. One can only imagine the chaos if she starts on Saturn V.

Saturn was well received by the press on the launch day and few weeks after was still on ppl tongues, endorsed by many NASA oriented influencers and Discover Channel on the other hand.
High interest massive mass media coverage made this set a QFLL's dream.

I'm full of doubt that this set will receive again such interest and demand like it was during the launch perion in next 12-15 months. *depends on christmas supply.
Prices and demand is now plummeting even with TOS status on website. Most of the potential customers already have this set in their collection.
Common folks have used limit 5 (on lego website) for their own sake and for small or almost next to nothing profit selling them later filling the market with cheap offers.

(EU market, not US)

DBnb_enW0AAr74c.jpg

Edited by Shewie

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

Please, please, please ToO! That's my last large set to sell. I thought maybe The LEGO Batman Movie would have done SOMETHING to raise the price, but no. 

I guess if you add up all I've made off of Gingerbread Houses and Christmas Trains, then I could give my ToO away and still come up even... but even doesn't feel even unless you're actually on the plus side. ?

7 minutes ago, Poly 30286 said:

Please, please, please ToO! That's my last large set to sell. I thought maybe The LEGO Batman Movie would have done SOMETHING to raise the price, but no. 

I guess if you add up all I've made off of Gingerbread Houses and Christmas Trains, then I could give my ToO away and still come up even... but even doesn't feel even unless you're actually on the plus side. 1f914.png

Did anyone buy a ToO to get a free Gingerbread House? I have a feeling I bought a Mini at full RRP to get it, which was a dumb move.

2 minutes ago, Poly 30286 said:

@Val-E I'm pretty sure ToO was dc'd long before the GH. I was just reflecting upon the remaining scraps of my divestment. I'm pretty sure my GH stock came from buying miscellaneous Xmas gifts for myself and the family.

Red5, Tumbler, DS 10188 were all still kicking around. Probably the smartest buys would have been Ghost or a couple of Phantoms and an AntMan.

30 minutes ago, justapilgrim said:

there was the Xmas perfext combo: santas workshop (jumped to $150-$180 FBA), the $20 mincraft set ($60+ FBA) and a $10 filler winter fun or santa to get to $100 and free GBH

Ghost is doing better than SW and you would have got returns a year earlier, right?

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

Did anyone buy a ToO to get a free Gingerbread House? I have a feeling I bought a Mini at full RRP to get it, which was a dumb move.

Checking back in my spreadsheet ... I got 4 Gingerbread House sets with 4 different orders:

• Parisian Restaurant
  • Doctor Who (+ minifig to get to €65)
  • Sandcrawler
  • 2x Ecto-1 (at the time I believed it was going to retire that year)

Sold one for €20, sold one for €30, kept one for my own Christmas display, and have one left to sell. :) 

1 minute ago, Haay said:

Checking back in my spreadsheet ... I got 4 Gingerbread House sets with 4 different orders:

• Parisian Restaurant
  • Doctor Who (+ minifig to get to €65)
  • Sandcrawler
  • 2x Ecto-1 (at the time I believed it was going to retire that year)

Sold one for €20, sold one for €30, kept one for my own Christmas display, and have one left to sell. :) 

So you probably need to selll the remaining one for about 400 euros to compensate for the rest! Just goes to show that a  free promo is not always so good if what you buy to get it is a turd.

Edited by Val-E