40139 - Gingerbread House

capsa77

1 hour ago, Martae54 said:

I have a completely different outlook. Personally I am thrilled to have sold mine for $50 + shipping cost (about a year ago) IT WAS FREE!!! Sold all 3 to thrilled customers who left glowing feedback. I think someone else already said it, anything past $100 feels like robbing people. I can see tons of people expected more than a TINY little box, and returning it as they expecting more. AGAIN it's $38 to acquire the parts, as there are no special parts. I think there will be a whole slew of problems arising from selling a TINY freebie worth $40 for $150-$200 ! IMHO

Good thing you didn't get those 8 you bought off of eBay that the seller claimed he didn't have what would you have done with them?  

1 hour ago, cladner said:

its not me so it will be fun to sit back and watch this experiment unfold.

same thing happened when someone cleaned out supply of Lincoln memorials on bricklink and undercutters on amazon.  price doubled and then pulled back about 15% when a new round of new loballers came out.

Ugh ;) 

• Like 3

Remembered I had one laying around. Sold for a hundred on ebay just now. Maybe should have held on for xmas or seen if i could get more but meh ebay had a max £3 selling fee offer on, and any profit on a freebie isnt to be sniffed at IMO ☺

will help buy a palace cinema for personal build for me and gf.

Edited by Graphicski
Readability error
  • Like 1

I had my last one posted on BL for $40 for about a month.  A week ago, someone ordered it. I invoiced them, and waited. I sent a reminder, and waited. I have filed a non-paying buyer alert. The set will be locked up in limbo for as long as two more weeks if he does not pay.

Do you think someone would create phony accounts to create what appears to be a run? If you lock up all the listings that are lower than yours, then you can create a perceived increase in demand, thus allowing your stock to sell at inflated prices. I'd like to think that someone wouldn't manipulate the market like that, but I have been burned by my naïve nature before.

15 hours ago, Poly 30286 said:

I had my last one posted on BL for $40 for about a month.  A week ago, someone ordered it. I invoiced them, and waited. I sent a reminder, and waited. I have filed a non-paying buyer alert. The set will be locked up in limbo for as long as two more weeks if he does not pay.

Do you think someone would create phony accounts to create what appears to be a run? If you lock up all the listings that are lower than yours, then you can create a perceived increase in demand, thus allowing your stock to sell at inflated prices. I'd like to think that someone wouldn't manipulate the market like that, but I have been burned by my naïve nature before.

This is why I usually don't NPB. You now have an annoyed buyer which still has the right to buy that item from you. You could sell it for way more to a happy customer...

5 hours ago, minicoopers11 said:

This is why I usually don't NPB. You now have an annoyed buyer which still has the right to buy that item from you. You could sell it for way more to a happy customer...

Within 2 hours of filing the NPB, the buyer took the X and I was able to cancel the order. It's all still very suspicious... There was no communication, no response to my message, but they allowed the hit almost immediately. 

I relisted at $50, and "found a new buyer" overnight. Invoiced this am. Just got paid. I couldn't stomach selling for more than $50

• Like 2

3 hours ago, whoisbiggles said:

Yeah, I think that web has identified the source for all this madness.

Below is the original FB post from 4th September that seems to have started the run by linking the set to the Amazon affiliate buy page.  Amazon prices moved upwards from the 5th, so they are clearly related.

It has gone viral with over 1.5 million views and 10k comments (brickpicker even gets mentioned as well as lots of hate for resellers and talk about Lego firing people and charging too much for this set).

https://www.facebook.com/SmartSchoolHouse/?hc_ref=ARRUlp7AAJiY_r6UMn3DmKW4ZnsFzkjDbgOtLBD4fAtv-rIvxqx3bF3CDC8XgVk2T70&fref=nf

I guess once the fuss over the post dies down and people move on to the next thing, prices will fall back to 50/60 USD. Sales rank has already slipped on Amazon. Good business for those who sold in the right window, though.

a9ed842f739e930dc8e9340bafbbaeaf77994c50

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, lukiepete said:

Sold 4 x $100 each. Probably could have waited to get more but... a bird in hand and all that. Seems this will probably go on for a few more weeks, though I don't imagine it lasting through the holiday. But who knows? Maybe, just maybe. After all: Fads + Xmas = Crazy Times in the U.S. of A.

Viva las Soccer Moms! This is just a repeat of Beanie Babies mania - you might have made more than 100 by holding a week or two, but the market is already showing more and more listings so if you are happy with the selling price, no regrets and reinvest in 60155 Advent Calendars, which is the other set she is promoting.

Tatoo-Letter.jpg

4 hours ago, Val-E said:

Yeah, I think that web has identified the source for all this madness.

Below is the original FB post from 4th September that seems to have started the run by linking the set to the Amazon affiliate buy page.  Amazon prices moved upwards from the 5th, so they are clearly related.

It has gone viral with over 1.5 million views and 10k comments (brickpicker even gets mentioned as well as lots of hate for resellers and talk about Lego firing people and charging too much for this set).

https://www.facebook.com/SmartSchoolHouse/?hc_ref=ARRUlp7AAJiY_r6UMn3DmKW4ZnsFzkjDbgOtLBD4fAtv-rIvxqx3bF3CDC8XgVk2T70&fref=nf

I guess once the fuss over the post dies down and people move on to the next thing, prices will fall back to 50/60 USD. Sales rank has already slipped on Amazon. Good business for those who sold in the right window, though.

This is disgusting - Reading through the comments, many obviously think that it is a retail price, and it also shows that many still assume that Amazon has low retail prices.

I wonder if the buy up of bricklink supply happened before the viral story, or was it in response to demand for the set - can anyone pin that down?

27 minutes ago, KShine said:

This is disgusting - Reading through the comments, many obviously think that it is a retail price, and it also shows that many still assume that Amazon has low retail prices.

I wonder if the buy up of bricklink supply happened before the viral story, or was it in response to demand for the set - can anyone pin that down?

Yeah, there are 3 types of comments: a.(easily influenced soccer mom) Take my money, I need this set and look friends maybe your kids should get one too. b.(pragmatic) Lego is too expensive, no wonder they are firing people. I could buy a hundred edible gingerbread houses for the same money c.(opportunistic) This set is retired so secondary market reseller prices apply - by the way I have one for sale for just 99 USD if anyone is interested.

The post came from 4th September and the big price rise on Amazon started that same day - I guess she must have been paid to influence by someone who had a vested interest or a lot of stock to clear. We don´t have date by date sales on Bricklink but it´s clear the mass buying happened in early September because the August monthly sales were on a par with previous months.

Ebay data shows less than one sale per day up until the afternoon of 4th September (European time) then MULTIPLE SALES PER HOUR that same day carrying on through to the weekend. Guess she is very good at influencing people and should really be hired by Trump ASAP.

Edited by Val-E
ebay data
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, whoisbiggles said:

"This year, my friends, we promise things will be different because Lego has come to the rescue with this amazing Gingerbread House that will look good EVERY time!"

I suppose the 2015 mark on the front of the box doesn't compel fact checking. I would definitely like to see some metrics on buyers remorse when this blows over.

Edited by MrToes16