71010 - Minifigures - Series 14 Monsters

pickleboy

Series 14  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your most favorite Minifigure from Series 14?

• Wolf Guy
    • Zombie Pirate
    • Monster Scientist
    • Wacky Witch
    • Plant Monster
    • Fly Monster
    • Spectre
    • Zombie Cheerleader
    • Tiger Woman
    • Gargoyle
    • Skeleton Guy
    • Monster Rocker
    • Zombie Businessman
    • Banshee
    • Square Foot
    • Spider Lady
    • None
  2. 2. Who is your least favorite Minifigure from Series 14?

• Wolf Guy
    • Zombie Pirate
    • Monster Scientist
    • Wacky Witch
    • Plant Monster
    • Fly Monster
    • Spectre
    • Zombie Cheerleader
    • Tiger Woman
    • Gargoyle
    • Skeleton Guy
    • Monster Rocker
    • Zombie Businessman
    • Banshee
    • Square Foot
    • Spider Lady
    • None
  3. 3. From a scale of one to ten, how would you rate Series 14?

• 1 - Dull
    • 2 - Poor
    • 3 - Mediocre
    • 4 - Below average
    • 5 - Average
    • 6 - Above average
    • 7 - Well done
    • 8 - Superb
    • 9 - Excellent
    • 10 - Perfect

Man, I suck. Just went to TRU and smooshed for like 10 mins and wasn't sure of anything so I just grabbed a random dozen and checked out.
If I ever go blind, I'll be putting Krazy Glue on my toothbrush.

you are not alone. i spent 15 mins smooshed 5 "BAGS" with the phone in front of me and I got 1 wrong at the end.

this is my first time doing it. maybe i should just buy 1 set from ebay @ $75  

you are not alone. i spent 15 mins smooshed 5 "BAGS" with the phone in front of me and I got 1 wrong at the end.

this is my first time doing it. maybe i should just buy 1 set from ebay @ $75  

I'm by no means an expert smoosher, but the tip that helped me was to find the accessories or smaller pieces and identify them that way.  The trick is getting that identifying piece separated from the rest so you can clearly feel it.

• Like 4

so far i got 3 sets out of the ones i bought yesterday (first time smooshing s14) took me about half hour. this is what i look for:

warewolf - bone

pirate - sword/pegleg

mad scientist - flask

witch - broom

plant - vines, over all a giant package compared to the rest 

fly - round wings, one hand different than the other

spectre - chain

cheerleader - 3 "heads",

cat woman - whip

gargoyle - spiny wings, short legs

skeleton - pumpkin handle / pumpkin

frankie - guitar

business man - briefcase / square piece

banshee - "legs" / hair / no chain

big foot - camera

elvira - triangle "legs"

happy smooshin

Edited by jerryherb
  • Like 1

Christopher is a bit right about efficiency..  I smooshed through about 100 bags at a walmart during the night of force friday, and took home quite a score, and flipped them and made some instant money on them.  It was a little bit of work, for decent profit..  Overall, I've smooshed about 300 of these over the last few weeks, and at this point, I can pretty much smoosh a case in about 15 minutes.  Finding many of these is relatively easy at this point.  Tiger girl is easy to pick out, not because of her whip, but because of her head piece.  Same can be said for most of these figures.

Where I disagree with him is that it's going to lead to big money.  Once again, those days have passed.  Right now the bottom sits at around 88 on amazon, and ebay sells for about that price.  At those prices, complete sets are not worth attempting to flip.  Best to leave them on the sales floor and let nature take it's course, unless you are willing to hold them for the long term, then I suggest completing a few sets for that purpose.  But the meat is gone off this bone for the time being.

Also, i'm going to say this.  Those that smoosh, and leave them in unmarred bags by just labeling them with post-it notes can make more money then those that cut them open.  I know this from experience.  Many times I sit 20 to 30 more than the lowballers, and I still sell complete sets.  Some people want complete sets, but still in the bag. My guess is they want to surprise their kids, or use them as stocking stuffers, etc.

The money has not flown by yet. Look at Simpsons Series 1. If you cleaned 20-30 sets last year at a good price, you can easily unload them for 99USD on ebay, plus shipping. I sold about 20 sets between $95-$99 and charged $5 shipping. 16 packs is less than 13oz which allowed me to ship via first class ($2.72) while I charged $5 for shipping therefore pocketing more on shipping.

If you can't flip now, wait till next year. I can't see them issuing series two of Monsters minifigs. You could also unload them with a set of Monster Fighters (HH, VC, Crazy scientist, etc...).

It depends on how you get these minifigures. With the Simpsons Series 2, I was using TRU.CA and dumping them as fillers to hit the $50 mark on those cineplex codes. So I practically got around 300 packs free. I was watching the Canada sales thread and wanted to chime in on what I was doing but some sets were so limited that I didn't want someone else to clean out sets. I wasn't just buying lego. Transformers which went on sale ended up at $40 after the code and I had to dump in 3 packs of simpsons to get that code working with free shipping.

I'm a terrible smoosher but I've done enough of this series that I'm getting pretty good at it. 1 second is hyperbole and clearly someone (likely someone very young) just trying to get a reaction (except for spider lady and maybe plant guy). It takes 1 second to pick up the pack. 5 seconds is possible for some others I suppose if you were super frantic and desperate. A few are going to take longer if you want to be 100% accurate.  I'm very careful and in no rush so I probably take more like 15-30 seconds per.  I smoosh at home while watching TV and return what I don't want to Target.

I was unbearably slow at first and find it pretty easy now. You get used to the feel after a time.  And my hands hurt a lot less now. 

• Like 2

The money has not flown by yet. Look at Simpsons Series 1. If you cleaned 20-30 sets last year at a good price, you can easily unload them for 99USD on ebay, plus shipping. I sold about 20 sets between $95-$99 and charged $5 shipping. 16 packs is less than 13oz which allowed me to ship via first class ($2.72) while I charged $5 for shipping therefore pocketing more on shipping.

BAM. sold about 15 S1 sets last xmas between 100 - 125 still got about 30 left and many strays. i wish there was another  $1.48 clearance on minifigs soon, especially with monster line (maybe after halloween?). also got lucky with S1 $1.99 clearance at B&M when they lifted the limit. 

edit: sorry it was $1.98  :)

Edited by jerryherb

BAM. sold about 15 S1 sets last xmas between 100 - 125 still got about 30 left and many strays. i wish there was another  $1.48 clearance on minifigs soon. also got lucky with $1.99 clearance at B&M when they lifted the limit. 

Your $1.99 reminded me that CMF started at that price! UGH!

Seems like the naysayers don't believe you and me which is quite funny.

LOL! I don't believe you...

I consider myself pretty experienced smoosher and dont believe you either... not consistently anyway. sometimes i get lucky when i get the right accessory immediately in my hand, but still try to confirm with another clue. though with practice i can get through a rack at a traget in 15min when looking for particular figures.

Edited by jerryherb
  • Like 1

It's amazing how the small pieces stay centered w/ the baseplate and paper 9 out of 10 times. :P

I want to be hopeful and hold, but it doesn't help seeing a set of Series 12 is still selling for MSRP or less. That was pre-Simpsons, wasn't it?

they came out alongside, though 12 was slightly after i think. they were both on sale at 1.48 at targets almost immediately after series 12 release. got a few store cases of series 9 (the ones with the 15 pegs/pockets) in with that too. somehow two stores in the area had them. also some singles of series 10,11 and movie... needless to say these are solid money now (prior to 12)

Edited by jerryherb

There is an easier way, go to minifiguresplus in ebay, click on his feedback as a buyer, and see where he bought from. He bought case loads of zip locks and envelopes from his "ebay suppliers." :)

We actually purchase all of our plastic baggies from clearbags.com. But the padded envelopes are purchased on eBay.

ok I mesed up my first box list on the franknrocker, so I hope i got it right this time.  Box 1 = 2 full sets. Box 2 = 1 full set

minifig name                     box1       box2    "exspected"

werewolf                             3              4              3

z pirate                                3              3              5

mad scientist                       5              5              5

witch                                   4              4              3

plant guy                             4              5             4

fly guy                                 2              3             4

Spector                               4              4             4

z cheerleader                     3              2             3

tigress                                3              1             3

gargoyle                             5              4             4

skeleton                             4              7             4

franknrocker                      6              7             5

z business                         4              2             3 

banshee                            4              1             3

bigfoot                               2              3             4

vampires                          4              5             3

Check your cases

We are sorry to hear that you did not have the correct distribution in your boxes. It is certainly unusual as that is the only complaint we have had out of 400 boxes that were shipped so far. We do maintain a 100% money back guarantee if you would like to return your boxes. Otherwise, please contact customer support on eBay and they will be able to work out a discount or replacement for you. 

Edited by MinifiguresPlus
  • Like 2

Guest brickcrazyhouse

We actually purchase all of our plastic baggies from clearbags.com. But the padded envelopes are purchased on eBay.

We are sorry to hear that you did not have the correct distribution in your boxes. It is certainly unusual as that is the only complaint we have had out of 400 boxes that were shipped so far. We do maintain a 100% money back guarantee if you would like to return your boxes. Otherwise, please contact customer support on eBay and they will be able to work out a discount or replacement for you. 

While I am a little disappointed.  It is not with you (or your company), just my luck.  after my post several people here have bought from you and reported "correct" distribution. My cases were probably just mis packed at Lego. New employee, someone distracted while packing or some other little hiccup is likely the reason for the "weird" distribution.  I appriciate the offer of returning the cases but I still got a great deal without running all around town.  Life isn't perfect and stuff happens.  thanks again for addressing my issue and standing behind your sale.  

Pretty sure they will absolutely release more monsters...

I agree.  I think with how hot this line is, lego will see that as a sign that this is a hot ticket around this time of year.  I could see Treehouse of Horror, or a Monsters line part 2 for sure.  They could go much further with these and could easily do 4 or 5 series just on halloween figures.

• Like 1

Funny thing is I can see a future release for more Monsters including a Grim Reaper character even though he represents 'the very end of everything'. (Fantasy era of Castle had skeleton armies and the Ninjago team had to deal with their own deadites so how would this natural part of life be any different?) On one hand I would not expect a devil/demon/imp for the most obvious of reasons while then again for the Monster 4 game they did design a head with devil pattern. Still to officially call anything a demon would be frowned upon I imagine (like the Scooby-Doo "Sea Monster" whose design is more based on the Sea Devil character in the original series) therefore perhaps Gremlin might be more suited for LEGO's needs.

Somewhere down the line there should be a Troll, maybe a Lizardman soldier, and how about something using Garmadon's torso for a couple extra arms. Plenty of mythological critters out there that could use the minifigure treatment from Harpies, Lamias, to Scyllas. Okay they have given us Medusa, the Gorgon of Lamias, so for a male counterpart could be a Naga.

• Like 1