71012 - Minifigures - Disney: Series 1

exciter1

This debate is a remake of the Series 15 debate. And the Series 14 debate. And the Series 13 debate. (Not the Simpsons series though - nobody actually cared enough to smoosh those awful angular heads.)

Here's the bottom line - if you're smooshing to buy the figures you don't have, good on you for knowing how to feel for them. If you're missing one figure and you just keep buying $4 packs each day until you finally get lucky enough to get the one you're missing because you think smooshing is somehow unethical, then you're being a stubborn fool. 

And likewise, if you've already got them all but you stand in the Lego aisle at 11:00am on a Wednesday feeling up foil packages so you can clear out all the costumed figs or rarest figs or the ones selling for the most on eBay, whilst leaving the riff raff for little kids who will never get the figs they need because you took them all to resell them, then you're a tool.

So find your middle ground. Don't be a fool, don't be a tool. There, it rhymes so it's the new rule. EOD. 

And yet some are both fools and tools...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfortunek said:

Here's the bottom line - if you're smooshing to buy the figures you don't have, good on you for knowing how to feel for them. If you're missing one figure and you just keep buying $4 packs each day until you finally get lucky enough to get the one you're missing because you think smooshing is somehow unethical, then you're being a stubborn fool. 

And likewise, if you've already got them all but you stand in the Lego aisle at 11:00am on a Wednesday feeling up foil packages so you can clear out all the costumed figs or rarest figs or the ones selling for the most on eBay, whilst leaving the riff raff for little kids who will never get the figs they need because you took them all to resell them, then you're a tool.

So find your middle ground. Don't be a fool, don't be a tool. There, it rhymes so it's the new rule. EOD. 

Like I said, maybe I hate because I can't and don't smoosh.

Agreed that what pisses me off most is probably kids never getting their figs cuz of these "excessive" smooshers.

Just now, loki221978 said:

ill only smoosh the ones my family wants, and then if i see a ton somewhere ill see who i can find for fun, i think its kind of the fun of the hunt

agreed, I think it is fun.  My kids would think I'm a hero if I can smoosh my way to get them the specific figs they want.

It's the people who do it excessively that really ruin it.

like when I ran into a box of minifigs and ALL the bags were suspiciously worn and "smooshed"  gee, I wonder if I'm going to find anything good in them...

19 minutes ago, loki221978 said:

ill only smoosh the ones my family wants, and then if i see a ton somewhere ill see who i can find for fun, i think its kind of the fun of the hunt

My family always smoosh the packs for 2 of each, so they have a set to play with and a set for display. Multiple times other moms and the cashiers have asked us to find certain ones for them. It is fun. I feel like such a nerd  smooshing the packs though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfortunek said:

This debate is a remake of the Series 15 debate. And the Series 14 debate. And the Series 13 debate. (Not the Simpsons series though - nobody actually cared enough to smoosh those awful angular heads.)

Don't I feel awkward with my 100 complete sets of sealed series 14 MF sat in my Lego room...

I won't even tell you how many Shark suit guys i've picked up from series 15!

Oh, like I could care less! :jester: If I don't get them, someone else will. It's the world we live in! 

14 minutes ago, Baker92A6 said:

Don't I feel awkward with my 100 complete sets of sealed series 14 MF sat in my Lego room...

Oh, like I could care less! :jester: If I don't get them, someone else will. It's the world we live in! 

Image result for little timmy crying

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Baker92A6 said:

I don't know how awkward you feel. I guess only you know. 

You can live in whatever world you want to live in, but it isn't the world we live in. I live in a world where I actually care about the other people and their kids. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, mfortunek said:

You can live in whatever world you want to live in, but it isn't the world we live in. I live in a world where I actually care about the other people and their kids. 

couldn't agree more.  

1 hour ago, ichiroll said:

Like I said, maybe I hate because I can't and don't smoosh.

Agreed that what pisses me off most is probably kids never getting their figs cuz of these "excessive" smooshers.

You could if you wanted to.  My wife can even do it now and she used to feel the same you do about not being able to.  I do it because it's fun, it's like micro economics to a clearance hunt's macro economics. We are very picky about what figures we like and the extra time taken to find them is well worth saving the foolish amount of money that would be spent to not check for them.  We're sort of a unique case though.  You won't find complete CMF sets at our house.  We've been buying since Series 7 and only have 1 complete set (Series 8 ) because Target put them all on clearance one year after Christmas.  Other than that we're very deliberate in what we look for and buy.

For this wave we'll only go after the classic characters plus two extra villains for my Mom because she's a Disney fanatic.  Toy Story, Incredibles and that Stitch thing will be passed up. 

So just because I'm smooshing, doesn't mean that what I'm looking for is something someone else's kid wants.  In fact, every time kids or other parents have been around we're looking for different things and often help each other out.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mfortunek said:

27 minutes ago, DenJ91 said:

couldn't agree more.  

God forbid I smoosh Lego minifigures! This is a Lego investing forum... 

I do more than my fair share of community and charity work - I'd argue more important in my world than caring about people and their kids getting a Lego minifigure :angel:

I have also taken countless requests from kids/parents for what they're needing whilst smooshing (maybe I give them the rubbish ones on purpose ;)). 

*P.S they will all available for sale on my eBay shop when they're worth their weight in gold...*

:devil:

14 minutes ago, Baker92A6 said:

God forbid I smoosh Lego minifigures! This is a Lego investing forum... 

I do more than my fair share of community and charity work - I'd argue more important in my world than caring about people and their kids getting a Lego minifigure :angel:

I have also taken countless requests from kids/parents for what they're needing whilst smooshing (maybe I give them the rubbish ones on purpose ;)). 

*P.S they will all available for sale on my eBay shop when they're worth their weight in gold...*

:devil:

i only smoosh with my kid(s) around so people give him the nasty look.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Curtis said:

You could if you wanted to.  My wife can even do it now and she used to feel the same you do about not being able to.  I do it because it's fun, it's like micro economics to a clearance hunt's macro economics. We are very picky about what figures we like and the extra time taken to find them is well worth saving the foolish amount of money that would be spent to not check for them.  We're sort of a unique case though.  You won't find complete CMF sets at our house.  We've been buying since Series 7 and only have 1 complete set (Series 8 ) because Target put them all on clearance one year after Christmas.  Other than that we're very deliberate in what we look for and buy.

For this wave we'll only go after the classic characters plus two extra villains for my Mom because she's a Disney fanatic.  Toy Story, Incredibles and that Stitch thing will be passed up. 

So just because I'm smooshing, doesn't mean that what I'm looking for is something someone else's kid wants.  In fact, every time kids or other parents have been around we're looking for different things and often help each other out.

honestly I think this is the way these "blind bags" were intended.  it's blind, but sure, go ahead and feel around and take your best crack at it.  I get it.

where it becomes an issue (for me personally) is when people go overboard and affect the overall economics of what is available out in the open and ruin the fun for everyone else.