"Out of Stock" Dates for Star Wars sets on Lego.com

fossilrock

I don't think it's done either.  It's going to be obtainable for a while.  It's just that it's going to be increasingly backordered and only available at lego.com in spurts.  Hence, the dance.  

Luckily for us schmucks north of the border, TRU and Walmart will probably have stock long after it retires at a worthy markup. :)

Sorry, I've read this thread from time to time and have to chime in.  If Sandcrawler is a good seller, then why do you think it's doing the dance and keep saying so?  Why would Lego retire a good seller in <2 years?  That is also European data you're referring to and not US sales, and you're basing your dance predictions on data not particularly relevant to the US/Canada market for shop at home.  These predictions really need to be put in the Retiring Soon thread and not this one, because I thought the point of the thread was to note OOS/in stock events, not to create predictions.  If you're putting basic facts for OOS/in stock events in this thread, you likely have no chance of being "modded."

Grynn couldn't have said it any better in terms of sets being briefly OOS.  Last summer, the Death Star and T1 Volkswagen were OOS, ships in 30 days and people thought they were retiring.  The sets were also OOS at major retailers and secondary prices for Death Star and the VW rose.  It just turns out Lego cannot keep everything in stock at all times and they do go OOS at other retailers.  It seems summer is not a particularly productive production time for Lego for some of their sets.  Hence. I don't think Sandcrawler is doing the "dance."  Maybe next spring, but not yet.

• Like 2

I get what you are saying fossilrock but LEGO is producing a larger number of themes and sets each year and juggling inventory between retail accounts, LEGO b&m stores, and LEGO shop online is a monumental task when considering production capacity.  The OOS dance has been going on across many themes and sets from last year and all throughout this year.  I find it increasingly difficult to use this as an accurate indicator of EOL these days. #CHAOS

Edited by zskid00
  • Like 1

From European data, i've kept an eye on Sandcrawler over time, and these UCS sets sell a lot.   More so than even most normal sets.  So, I think it's a good seller.  Way more than we want to believe.  The margins have to be great for Lego with these sets.

You have to take into consideration that almsot every set, and this includes exclusive sets, is more easily available than Sandcrawler, and often for much better prices than LEGO Shop at Home offers.

• Like 1

You have to take into consideration that almsot every set, and this includes exclusive sets, is more easily available than Sandcrawler, and often for much better prices than LEGO Shop at Home offers.

That's definitely true.  Personally, I only shop at LEGO Shop at Home for mostly exclusives or sets since at least you get a discount with VIP points.  So, that more than likely why it is selling at higher rates than other sets.

Quite a few status changes this morning.

Sandcrawler™

• Out of stock, expected ship date Sep 27 2015
  • Out of stock, expected ship date Sep 27 2015

75105 Millennium Falcon™

• Out of stock, expected ship date Oct 01 2015

75112 General Grievous™

75111 Darth Vader™

75107 Jango Fett™

I do not want to throw oil on the fire here. But my guess and hunch is the following:

All Star Wars sets without the Disney Logo will have either a new box design or will retire by the end of the year once the movie is out. 

That also would explain the many OOS and small restocks we see every time. They are stalling till December. 

Again... this is just a hunch/guess/gamble from me. No proof. Just my common sense. 

You can thank or burn me later. 

• Like 3

I do not want to throw oil on the fire here. But my guess and hunch is the following:

All Star Wars sets without the Disney Logo will have either a new box design or will retire by the end of the year once the movie is out. 

That also would explain the many OOS and small restocks we see every time. They are stalling till December. 

Again... this is just a hunch/guess/gamble from me. No proof. Just my common sense. 

Even if that only the death star retires and the others get a new box that´s fine by me and I support your view. If nothing retires then I am building a bonfire.

Edited by valenciaeric

Interesting hypothesis, Ciglione. Will be interesting to see this either verified or falsified by end of this year. :derisive:

2 changes I noticed today.

Jango Fett back to available now.

Death Star back to sold out.  I'm kind of convinced this must be what they meant by their vague message "check back soon we are making more".  That these would be released again but in slow batches that will be fulfilled at a later date.  This is the second time this happened since it went to Sold Out on July 14th, and each time it didn't last long when you could order it.

Edited by fossilrock

Sandcrawler lasted less than a day back in stock.

• Sandcrawler™

75059 Sandcrawler™

• Price $299.99

ADD TO BAG 
  •  
    • NEW
    Poe's X-Wing Fighter™

75102 Poe's X-Wing Fighter™

• Price $79.99
    • Out of stock, expected ship date Oct 02 2015

ADD TO BAG 
    • NEW
    Millennium Falcon™

75105 Millennium Falcon™

• Price $149.99
    • Out of stock, expected ship date Oct 08 2015

The closer we get to the holidays and the SW Movie we will see all the SW Exclusives and other sets with the "Sold Out" Sign. But the Sandcrawler, Slave 1 and most others will be back in full next year.

I don't disagree with you.  The only thing i'd say though, is that there's one big monkey wrench, and that's the movie.  If the movie is awesome, and Star Wars mania turns into a frenzy, these could be very hard to land at times because people will be scooping up Star Wars toys right and left, even past the holiday season, since the economy isn't doing too bad right now.  I can tell you from just how it's been trying to land the new figures lately, that this mania is ramping up..  It's pretty darn hard right now to land complete waves of the action figures, and if the mania hits, hasbro and lego better be prepared.  Personally, I think lego has done a great job though with the Force Awakens release, as most sets have been easily obtainable.  It's obviously they had a good plan going in.  Can't say the same for hasbro.  

But, the full-on mania just hasn't started yet IMO.  The way these UCS and larger sets keep going in and out of stock though is signs that there is definitely a much heightened interest in this product.  So, i'd say if you want to get a good amount of SC's for investment the time has been here for the last few months.  Obviously with how quick the SC comes in and out, some are obviously attacking fast and furiously, but on the same token, that could just give lego the que to ramp up production, which I think will happen with all of these sets, like you said....

Edited by fossilrock

There are so many changes to this daily, that it's getting harder to keep track of them all.  All the exclusives are back:

Sandcrawler™

And these are out of stock:

75112 General Grievous™

In stock:

First Order Transporter™

75102 Poe's X-Wing Fighter™

Out of Stock:

75054 AT-AT™  - Out of stock, expected ship date Oct 12 2015

75105 Millennium Falcon™  - Out of stock, expected ship date Oct 15 2015

75059 Sandcrawler™ Out of stock, expected ship date Oct 16 2015

75095 TIE Fighter™  - Out of stock, expected ship date Oct 16 2015

Edited by fossilrock