42030 - Volvo L350F Wheel Loader

I wouldn't be so sure that 42030 is going to last a full 2+ years.   It's an incredibly slow seller in all the camel^3 and EU inventory data.  There's been rumors swirling the last 6 weeks it may go early.  At $150 shipped from Amazon UK, this is a great deal, and I'd pick up the limit from them if you can.  If this goes early, you're looking at the TH of Technic sets here.

Well there are parallels with TH in that it is more expensive than previous models and has an oversize box. There is also the question of the main unique part which is the big front scoop beig costly to produce. On the other hand, if it goes, there is no RC flagship model in the range.

I could see it pssibly being retired after Christmas along with Mk2 crane (another set with lots of yellow liftarms) and cargo plane but not before then.

It is a very very tricky this one. I have a few tucked in for investment, one of them is for personal collection of course. But as we know, technic sets take ages to mature in price, hence i am careful spending too much money on them.

this set together with the Simpsons House are screwing my brains now! 

btw, something that makes things even more complicated. The arrival of the new Technic Flagship, the Mercedes makes it even more difficult to predict. Are they going to keep two licensed sets on the shelves at the same time? Or ..do they need as many high-end technic sets at once? (MkII, VOLVO, Actros and new crane coming up)

Edited by hannibal

My head tells me that this one won´t appreciate as well as similarily priced Slave or any cheaper modular, even if it were to retire tomorrow. Same for Simpson´s house.

On the other hand, this set offers plenty of possibilities for parting out (bucket, wheels, hubs, power functions) if acquired at the right price.

I see parallels between 8043 and 42030.  The latter being branded may help it appreciate quicker.  If 42030 goes in the first year of production then all bets are off and this may be a $400+ set by X-Mas 2016.  You say so what retail is $250.  Entry price is everything with technic sets.  My entry for 13 sets remains at ~150.00/set.  All I see if dollar signs.  Just my opinion.

Each of those sets (8043 42030) are packed with power functions (main driver of initial technic value).

There is a certain cool factor in a front loader (often on US TV gold rush)  Maybe not a volvo but construction equipment has been highlighted a lot in the last couple of years.

8043 2+ years after retirement is a clean double (40%+ CAGR highly dependent on your entry price).  Maybe 42030 will not not retire this year, maybe my money can spent better elsewhere...opportunity costs? Perhaps.

I like a diversified group of sets.  That is part of my strategy.

My vote is to include 42030 in a diversified investment plan.

• Like 1

I see parallels between 8043 and 42030.  The latter being branded may help it appreciate quicker.  If 42030 goes in the first year of production then all bets are off and this may be a $400+ set by X-Mas 2016.  You say so what retail is $250.  Entry price is everything with technic sets.  My entry for 13 sets remains at ~150.00/set.  All I see if dollar signs.  Just my opinion.

Each of those sets (8043 42030) are packed with power functions (main driver of initial technic value).

There is a certain cool factor in a front loader (often on US TV gold rush)  Maybe not a volvo but construction equipment has been highlighted a lot in the last couple of years.

8043 2+ years after retirement is a clean double (40%+ CAGR highly dependent on your entry price).  Maybe 42030 will not not retire this year, maybe my money can spent better elsewhere...opportunity costs? Perhaps.

I like a diversified group of sets.  That is part of my strategy.

My vote is to include 42030 in a diversified investment plan.

​Just wondering where you guys have been seeing this for £100 GBP/$150? i see it at £127 on amazon, haven't seen it go much cheaper than that anywhere, and all of these promo discounts aren't very widespread in Europe.

• Like 1

​Just wondering where you guys have been seeing this for £100 GBP/$150? i see it at £127 on amazon, haven't seen it go much cheaper than that anywhere, and all of these promo discounts aren't very widespread in Europe.

I think people are having trouble converting pounds to dollars. 

I think people are having trouble converting pounds to dollars. 

​My last one was delivered to my door for $204 CDN. With the reverse exchange, that should land somewhere around $160... Don't forget the advertised price always includes VAT which is only removed during the checkout phase so £127 drops to something like £110 at checkout <don't remember the exact but it was something like that>..

• Like 1

Ah, I forgot about the VAT, assumed you guys would get charged it as well. That does reduce the cost basis somewhat.

​For me it's meant an average bonus of somewhere between 8-12% off after shipping and other costs like taxes, currency exchange and brokerage. So far my experiences on those three have been anything but consistent buying from Amazon UK. :)

• 3 weeks later...

​Yeah i got a couple on this at £91.60, had to be quick though OOS already. I have 4 of these now, think i'm gonna have to QF a couple. Don't really wanna sit on 4, there other things to buy now.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I like this set, may just invest in some more.  How long before they are retired?    NOW, why hasn't lego came out with a higher speed rc car or truck that is ment to have crash parts.  The fun part is rebuilding it!.  Make the body solid but have the panels crash off when hit.  I'm still a kid and I want one:) lol

I like this set, may just invest in some more.  How long before they are retired?    NOW, why hasn't lego came out with a higher speed rc car or truck that is ment to have crash parts.  The fun part is rebuilding it!.  Make the body solid but have the panels crash off when hit.  I'm still a kid and I want one:) lol

Some people think the Volvo loader will retire early but Technic sets are almost always out for two years (plus or minus last stock). Based on that, MKII should go this year (anytime) and the loader next summer... MKII may very well break that trend but the loader is licensed so Lego will be constrained by the license!

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

This thing will probably go once the BWE hits the shelves? This one has a lot going for it in my opinion. I doubt we'll see that gigantic bucket again soon and it's got a lot of PF parts. Model of an actual vehicle, great detail and fully remote controlled.

Downside is of course that horrible steering, but one can live with that. If it goes after two years I'll be putting good money into this one.

13 minutes ago, S.African.AFOL said:

This thing will probably go once the BWE hits the shelves? This one has a lot going for it in my opinion. I doubt we'll see that gigantic bucket again soon and it's got a lot of PF parts. Model of an actual vehicle, great detail and fully remote controlled.

Downside is of course that horrible steering, but one can live with that. If it goes after two years I'll be putting good money into this one.

With an S-brick the steering is very good!

7 minutes ago, Battrax said:

Very true. The 42009 is rising very very slowly but it is still available at retailers...

The Technic winners from last year would appear to be 42028 and 42029 as they had very short lives and went somewhat unexpectedly. I am not expecting even double RRP from either, but at 50% off they were good buys. 42009 at 50% will also be fine but 200 euros would have been much better spent on Red 5 or others.

5 minutes ago, Legoboy said:

With an S-brick the steering is very good!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...