42030 - Volvo L350F Wheel Loader

42009 has no IR receiver - all functions must be manually switched over and controlled. I wish at least the driving and steering were motorized.

Does the server motor respond to proportional speed? For the crawlers, it seems it only does left or right. I imagine a proportional servo would cost a bit more to produce than a simple left-right. You can spend big bucks on servos for RC cars or just buy the cheapo $20 ones with plastic gears.

There is an alternative for the best of both world's - Jurgen's Ultimate 42009...
http://rebrickable.com/mocs/jurgen/ultimate-42009
I am in the process of gathering the parts needed. Or, you could go completely bananas : http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=99748

Edited by steliosk
  • Like 2

The interesting thing about the - in fact significantly flawed - steering: No one really seems to care! If you take a look at the customer reviews on the different Amazons for example, the Volvo Loader has 5-star ratings all over. So additionally to many buyers not really informing themselves before buying, there also seems to be a large portion of them who forgive weaknesses the product has either due to reduction of buyer's remorse or because they really just don't care. Might well be that investors are just too critical while their future customers are not. Which is a good thing of course.

The interesting thing about the - in fact significantly flawed - steering: No one really seems to care! If you take a look at the customer reviews on the different Amazons for example, the Volvo Loader has 5-star ratings all over. So additionally to many buyers not really informing themselves before buying, there also seems to be a large portion of them who forgive weaknesses the product has either due to reduction of buyer's remorse or because they really just don't care. Might well be that investors are just too critical while their future customers are not. Which is a good thing of course.

The steering IS jerky but I haven't found it reduces the playability of the machine for me...

P.s.  I am looking forward to terrorising the fiancee's cats with it once they are moved in.

Edited by steliosk
  • Like 3

There is an alternative for the best of both world's - Jurgen's Ultimate 42009...

http://rebrickable.com/mocs/jurgen/ultimate-42009

I am in the process of gathering the parts needed. Or, you could go completely bananas : http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=99748

Me too.. I just ordered the hook ( which is pricy) and the last few remaining pieces I need.  I'm also doing the Ulitmate excavator, and the lowboy trailer to haul these beasts.. I'm excited, wish I could say the same about my wallet. lol 

• Like 1

Good to know. I'll take a look and maybe make a build review of this set.

It seems these PF vehicle sets have issues from time to time. My 41999 can't move straight because of the pass side rear wheel no matter what I do.

For those if u technic junkies that don't like the functionality of a stock 42009. Check out Jurgens ultimate 42009. I built this thing and it's insane as far as functionality goes, second only to his PF Backhoe. Oops u guys beat me to it. Can't wait for him to do an ultimate 42030. I will wait for that to build one.

Edited by junkrigger
  • Like 1

I'm 80% certain the lego servo motor is proportional and will respond to varied inputs.  I'd like to have a definitive answer to that, if anyone knows.  

Was bored over lunch (I hate doing estimates) so I tried out my 41999 with both the regular controller and train controller. The steering servo is absolutely proportional to the input. Conclusions:

1) The 41999 controller is not proportional - only ON MAX and OFF.

2) The train controller has 7 "speeds"...(8 if you include off).

- Level 1 for both steering and speed were wholly inadequate though steering did respond, speed did not (maybe with fresh batteries).

- Level 2-7 were kind of nice for steering, but the way the controller works as you turn the dial, it was just too slow to respond. I I think this may be an RF delay because the motor itself certainly responds fast when you use the supplied controller.

- The speed control was also nice as the vehicle doesn't "jerk" to begin.

- The emergency stop button both stopped the vehicle OR returned the servo to the center position which was a surprise.

Conclusion? Neither controller is perfect but given the choice of the two, the included one is the right choice. The train one just responds too slowly.

• Like 2

Was bored over lunch (I hate doing estimates) so I tried out my 41999 with both the regular controller and train controller. The steering servo is absolutely proportional to the input. Conclusions:

- Level 1 for both steering and speed were wholly inadequate though steering did respond, speed did not (maybe with fresh batteries).

- Level 2-7 were kind of nice for steering, but the way the controller works as you turn the dial, it was just too slow to respond. I I think this may be an RF delay because the motor itself certainly responds fast when you use the supplied controller.

- The emergency stop button both stopped the vehicle OR returned the servo to the center position which was a surprise.

Conclusion? Neither controller is perfect but given the choice of the two, the included one is the right choice. The train one just responds too slowly.

Lovely, thanks for the testing!

Thanks very much for this, good to know. While too slow for the trucks, might be nice in the Loader which moves slowly, and often turns in place. Edited by diablo2112

Hi guys, have you ever tried SmartBrick? I think, it resolved problem with remote control of our Lego creations. Very nice piece of brick.

I remember reading about it... never followed up though. It definitely seems to work better than the regular controls and the extended range is nice... However, I'm not sure I'd want my 7 year old walking around with my mobile device. At least if they drop the supplied controller it's unlikely to break and cheap to replace if it does.

Might have to get one just for kicks though. Thanks!

I always just pick Standard Shipping... They use DHL which charges WAAAAY less brokerage than UPS.

Back in January, I ordered two MKII - total paid to Amazon UK was $376.23 as per my credit card statement.  All of the invoice and packing slips don't mention the cost, but I'm almost positive Canada Post delivered it to my door and charged me $56.46 for a total of 432.69. Taxes for me are 13% (and the way Amazon fills in the declared value I ended up paying tax on the $8 shipping charge). That made each one $216.35 and the total "brokerage" was $7.55 which looks like it is 2% of the total cost (376 * 0.02 = 7.52).

I'll try to find the invoice slip... It's still a good deal with the 2% brokerage fee which basically turns it into a 15% tax. Ouch.

​Just following up with the latest order... I kept the copy of the import slip this time. :)

I purchased 1x 42009 last week .. after shipping, exchange and credit card fees my credit card was charged 183.84. It was dispatched by DHL but delivered by UPS (now I can't remember if the others were) but the breakdown was as follows:

• Declared value: 169.13
  • Brokerage: 10.00
  • GST: 8.46

I did not pay provincial tax.. total price $202.30. This easily beats Costco's price of 189.99 (total after tax was $214.69) and even beats the last time TRU did Technic for BOGO 40% off (buying two would have been a couple bucks cheaper from Amazon UK and about $212 each from TRU). I'll follow up with the final cost on the Volvo loader when it arrives.

​Just following up with the latest order... I kept the copy of the import slip this time. :)

I purchased 1x 42009 last week .. after shipping, exchange and credit card fees my credit card was charged 183.84. It was dispatched by DHL but delivered by UPS (now I can't remember if the others were) but the breakdown was as follows:

• Declared value: 169.13
  • Brokerage: 10.00
  • GST: 8.46

I did not pay provincial tax.. total price $202.30. This easily beats Costco's price of 189.99 (total after tax was $214.69) and even beats the last time TRU did Technic for BOGO 40% off (buying two would have been a couple bucks cheaper from Amazon UK and about $212 each from TRU). I'll follow up with the final cost on the Volvo loader when it arrives.

​Color me surprised, my Volvo loader arrived just now... delivered by Canada Post. It was not supposed to arrive until April 27th. The box was pretty mangled and there was only a small bundle of brown paper on one side (the 42009 shipping box was mangled too but it was very well protected with brown paper all around) but the Lego box inside was mint.

Canada Post didn't charge me anything... no taxes, no brokerage, nothing. My credit card was charged $210.04 for this one so that's final price - that's like paying $186 before tax (13% for me) or close to 40% off Canadian Retail. I should have ordered more!

Please research the production cycle of 8275 among other large technic sets with short production runs.

http://brickset.com/sets/8275-1/Motorized-Bulldozer

There have been other mid-level Technic sets that have production runs from Oct thru ~April.  Food for thought.

http://brickset.com/sets/42030-1/Volvo-L350F-Wheel-Loader

Will 42030 follow a similar path?   Probably not, however in the US Lego Shop at Home has had a limit of 1/order from day one of availability.

Oddly across the pond most LEGO Shop at Home sites have a limit of 10 (42030)/order.

Thoughts? 

Please research the production cycle of 8275 among other large technic sets with short production runs.

http://brickset.com/sets/8275-1/Motorized-Bulldozer

There have been other mid-level Technic sets that have production runs from Oct thru ~April.  Food for thought.

http://brickset.com/sets/42030-1/Volvo-L350F-Wheel-Loader

Will 42030 follow a similar path?   Probably not, however in the US Lego Shop at Home has had a limit of 1/order from day one of availability.

Oddly across the pond most LEGO Shop at Home sites have a limit of 10 (42030)/order.

Thoughts? 

​According to Brickset the 8275 bulldozer was available from Oct 07 to Dec 09 in the UK. It didn't have a short production cycle, just a short availability in the US.

Technic sets are very consistent with a 2 year production run, I think people would be silly to think the loader won't follow that pattern. Also, if there really are any sets with short runs from 07/08 I can't see them being a factor in 14/15/16. That was a long time ago and the market has changed considerably since then.

Order limits are often meaningless.. and in this case I think it most certainly is. Only the most rabid Technic enthusiasts would order more than one of this set. People who are ordering more than 1 are more than likely resellers or parter-outers. I think the limit of 1 is just a way of ensuring production can meet demand. It's a big set to product, ship and store... I doubt they want 25,000 of them sitting in a warehouse somewhere!

Gregpj,

All valid points and things I have considered.  It just feels vastly different than 8043, unimog, and certainly the 9398 4x4.

I bought all of those and I do not recall such a tight US supply.  Considering the availability of 42030 in other parts of the world led me down the short run in the US.

ALL of this is personal speculation on my part.  Thanks for the input.