Brickfolio and Price Guide FAQs (Site Update)

Jeff is working on it along with many other things.  I think some folks need to remember, our owners & mods have lives outside of brickpicker. we have spouses, kids , regular jobs,  houses, etc...    this is also a free web site, so jeff and ed don't have hired workers "standing ready to go" to work on items when they can't.

That's why folks should use the brickfolio export feature often.  The good news is that no data is lost.  It's all there. Just give Jeff as much time as he needs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 7 years later...

That's really your choice to make. You're not required to display your collection data.

Yes, this is a choice. You can make the amount private. Jeff and I come from a gaming forum background. We were big time gamers and hung out in the XBOX 360 gaming forums. We were top notch trolls. The signature information is very similar to players putting their gaming stats in their signatures on gaming forums. Call it tacky if you want, but it is one way to promote the game or site.

My concern is more of the nature of risk avoidance. It gives the collective internet/marketers spiders more info to build profiles of people. Also providing info to public forums that the IRS and would be thieves could use against you in the future. Kind of like the danger of over sharing on Facebook by announcing that you are leaving for a week vacation which tips off burglars to make your house a target.

My concern is more of the nature of risk avoidance. It gives the collective internet/marketers spiders more info to build profiles of people. Also providing info to public forums that the IRS and would be thieves could use against you in the future. Kind of like the danger of over sharing on Facebook by announcing that you are leaving for a week vacation which tips off burglars to make your house a target.

I think we're all well aware of that type or risk. Still a matter of personal preference whether one wants to do that signature or not.

If people want to mitigate all potential risks completely, they'd never ever get out of their house and live a completely dull life. :)

You seem super paranoid my friend......let's put it this way, you don't have it as your signature so you are good right? I still stand by my statement that its not really a big deal. Choose to use the tool or not, then move on with life. We are more worried about having fun investing in something we love rather than a brickfolio signature.

Judging from the stuff my nieces and nephews post to facebook, I'd have to say there are a lot of younger people out there that aren't aware of the risks. It's just second nature to share everything. In the end it is a personal choice like everyone said and dialogs like this help people think about what they do online.

I definitely understand your concerns, truly I do. As great as the internet is, it is a dangerous place. There is too much information out there. That being said, one thing we don't do here at Brickpicker is ask a lot of personal information. This site is a tool for you, the user, to use however you wish. If you keep it private, then that is good. If people want to share what they have, then that is great as well.

I know there are a lot of people on this sit that have much more that I do and I have very happy for them. So, please, join in all the forum talk, look at the sets, submit comments, help educate others. Thats the important thing. I wouldn't look too much into the rest of this.

Two things and I am not being confrontational so do don't take it that way A) this is not Facebook and B) I challenge you to look at someones brickfolio signature box that has the value listed as private, and try to calculate the value of that brickfolio.......its impossible. Just have some fun on here man, thats what this site is for. Live a little lol

I definitely understand your concerns, truly I do. As great as the internet is, it is a dangerous place. There is too much information out there. That being said, one thing we don't do here at Brickpicker is ask a lot of personal information. This site is a tool for you, the user, to use however you wish. If you keep it private, then that is good. If people want to share what they have, then that is great as well.

I know there are a lot of people on this sit that have much more that I do and I have very happy for them. So, please, join in all the forum talk, look at the sets, submit comments, help educate others. Thats the important thing. I wouldn't look too much into the rest of this.

It's a great tool! I don't want you to think I was suggesting the site and its administrators would miss use our data. I trust our data is safe and appreciate that it isn't directly linked to personal information.

The site you have built is a very valuable resource and obviously the product of a lot of hard work and it is appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Hi, Has anyone else noticed that the pricing of sets is off, which throws the stats for your brickfolio, ie it shows a loss as the market value is less than you paid, which you know is wrong. Making the brickfolio pretty useless except for just cataloging your sets. For example the Modular Pet shop is on Brickfolio as

Well for a couple sets, they sell below regular MSRP because it is a really unpopular set. Take the Sith Nightspeeder for example. It retailed for $24.99 USD, and is now EOL'ed for a couple months, and only worth $21.99. I have noticed that some things in my Brickfolio appeared to be inflated a little after I saw a couple of my Series 1 Planet sets increase in value by around 200% to $15+ USD.

Hi,

Has anyone else noticed that the pricing of sets is off, which throws the stats for your brickfolio, ie it shows a loss as the market value is less than you paid, which you know is wrong. Making the brickfolio pretty useless except for just cataloging your sets.

For example the Modular Pet shop is on Brickfolio as

The pricing in the Brickfolio is based on the current average that a given set is selling for on ebay. It is not based on what Lego is selling that given set it for.

Brickfolio values are usually lower than ebay's avg selling price for some EOL sets. This is not an issue with Jeff and Ed but how eBay sellers list their auctions. I mainly see these price gaps with sets that are usually sold broken up (e.g. Many Batman sets from 2006 and 2008. 7888 is probably the most popular one which sells for between $375 and $500 new). The brickfolio value is $263. These broken up listings bring down the brickfolio price. Then we have sellers who list used sets as new and opened box sets as new. These factors lower prices displayed in the Brickfolio.

My suggestion with 7888 was to ignore all lower priced sold auctions (e.g. Exclude "new" conditioned 7888 auctions with a sold price below $250 since those are most likely incorrectly listed or incomplete sets).

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=7888-1

I will state that Jeff and Ed are doing a great job combating the brickfolio price gaps. I have been noticing values increasing each month which means their ebay data pulling and filtering logic in working. GREAT JOB fellas.

Now regarding the original post, the reason has been answered. A set can easily be valued lower than retail before EOL due to consist discounting at stores (this influencing eBay sales)

The set has to have so many sales before they average it......30 I think.

Last thirty or less....The new sets sometimes take a month or two to get some data. As for OPs question, our prices are based on SOLD eBay auctions, not LEGO Shop @Home prices. I can show you tens, if not hundreds, of available at retail sets selling for more than current LEGO MSRPs on eBay. That doesn't make the numbers wrong. Maybe the Pet Shop has been discounted heavily. I have bought mine at $30 below retail, so the numbers make sense to me. Check out Monster Fighters, Friends and Ninjago sets and you will see many sets priced above retail...and they are still available at MSRP prcies.

• 3 months later...

Hi, 

Sorry for digging up this topic.
What I don't get is the difference between the current price column in the brickfolio and the Market value (New or used) when you actually click on the set.
For example, the 42006-1 has a current value of 64 euros displayed in my portfolio and when clicking on the set it has a market value of  49 for the new and 47 ish for the used ones.

From what I understand the last two are based on Ebay sells.

If so, what's the difference between those values? Is that related to the monthly update frequency?
If no what is the current price value based on?

Also, in the FAQ you write "The BrickPicker data is based on the Terapeak sales data from the largest eBay market, the United States"

However, when clicking on a set to check on Market values prices listed beside the european flag for example are not simple conversion (around 80 dollars if we keep the 42006-1 example).

Does this means you also have the data from ebay for Europe (and Australia and UK)?

Would this explain the difference between current price in the BF and market value in the set price guide?

Might be stupide questions but I just want to confirm I understand the sites behaviour well.

Thanks for this amazing website by the way and all the hardwork you guys do.

Hi, 

Sorry for digging up this topic.

What I don't get is the difference between the current price column in the brickfolio and the Market value (New or used) when you actually click on the set.

For example, the 42006-1 has a current value of 64 euros displayed in my portfolio and when clicking on the set it has a market value of  49 for the new and 47 ish for the used ones.

From what I understand the last two are based on Ebay sells.

If so, what's the difference between those values? Is that related to the monthly update frequency?

If no what is the current price value based on?

Might be a stupide question but I just want to confirm I understand the sites behaviour well.

Thanks for this amazing website by the way and all the hardwork you guys do.

The new UK, European, Australian data is not in the brickfolio yet.  Those are still based off of US converted values.  I am trying to work on the classifieds and a few other things, then there will be a big update to the brickfolio.

• Like 1