What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

9474 - The Battle of Helm's Deep. Yeah, I finally got the chance to build this monster. It didn't take as long as I would have thought though but then again I have been building a lot lately which helped me get back into the ol' groove from so long ago plus my system of pouring out each of the bags into a separate sorting drawer keeps each section focused. I also built the thing backwards and by that I mean I actually started from the last model of the royal dining hall all the way back to the main build of the gatehouse. Still the whole thing took a few good hours split between a couple days.

The Helm's Deep wasn't entirely repetitive or dull despite all the mirrored spots and gray parts as there were plenty of details tossed in to keep monotony at bay like the sand green pieces placed in random spots to give it some color. There are lots of nicely curved walls about giving it fantastic depth too. I really like how all the sections utilize double Technic pin connections giving you the option of being creative with the arrangement of each section if you wish. Right now it is setup exactly as the box with two Uruk-hai Army wall sections connected on the side where the wall that gets 'blown up'. Later I will see if I can rearrange everything to where it creates an enclosed fortress.

Oh right, there are a couple of play features favorite of which is the outward exploding wall. It can be tricky getting to work properly though as the pieces are Lego and have really good clutch power even when only connected by a single stud. Ha. The other one is some catapult down at the base beside the gates that I suppose is to 'fling' a minifigure against incoming intruders. Well, it does fling the character; just not in the right direction really. It is amusing as heck I will say. Lastly there is the small catapult on top of the gatehouse for tossing 1x1 cylinders which is the same setup as the Uruk-hai Army one and works as well as any other.

To finish, this is simply an insanely kickass set and a must buy for Lord of the Rings or even regular Castle fans. The minifigures are great with a few exclusive, tons of pieces, a few interesting techniques, and a couple of fun play features. Plus it displays awesomely. Whether or not I was lucky to find this at a discount, I am super content with having this big one in my collection regardless. Now comes the part of "What else can I create from this?" :shifty:

I want to build this as well. I have a sealed one and then also have another I saved without minifigures so that I can build a bigger castle. We will see how that goes since my creative gene is nothing.

I want to build this as well. I have a sealed one and then also have another I saved without minifigures so that I can build a bigger castle. We will see how that goes since my creative gene is nothing.

I'm sure you will come up with something. At least it will better than the spaceship Peter Griffin put together on that one episode of Family Guy.

Ohhh I love the HD. I think it is a pretty awesome display.

It's definitely impressive which is one good reason why when I take it apart to be put towards whatever MOC I come up with using the pieces from it must be damn good. ....Also the thing takes up a whole lot of space. :sweat:

The bridge was my favorite part of the Goblin King set as well... awesome little brick-built rope bridge.  Most of the play features on this set do work well, which is amazing given that most of the play features in the Tolkien sets fail epically.  It is an underappreciated set, but like you said definitely doesn't feel like a $100 set.

Helm's Deep is a great set, especially when it's displayed with the massive amount of Uruk-hai I've gathered over the last year.  Whenever I get some time, I want to play around with modifying this set so that the walls are taller.

Last night I finished building the Volkswagen T1 Camper, chipped away at it over the last week or so.  Fun build, and a nice solid model when finished.  Lots of neat details too. 

I built the Small Cottage 31009 last night.  I am doing a free trial of Pley.com.  It seems like a cool way to build quick sets that I don't want to own or collect.

The build was fun.  It took a while because I was attempting to do my first stop motion video of the build.

Overall it is a cool set, the interior does not have the same detail as some others, but still a good set. 

Earlier this week I built the MTT from a Craigslist lot.  I generally do not buy or display Episode I-III sets but this was a really good build, solidly built with a lot of detail and quite large.  I don't know how the refresh improves on this one.

post-30305-0-33123600-1405212311_thumb.j

Last night and today I built the 6211 Star Destroyer - this is a very messy build that doesn't look like a ship until it is finished and I never felt like I was accomplishing anything but it looks impressive on display (minus the white technic bricks)

post-30305-0-20626900-1405212292_thumb.j

post-30305-0-27750500-1405212302_thumb.j

• Like 1

Earlier this week I built the MTT from a Craigslist lot. I generally do not buy or display Episode I-III sets but this was a really good build, solidly built with a lot of detail and quite large. I don't know how the refresh improves on this one.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140712_172257.jpg

Last night and today I built the 6211 Star Destroyer - this is a very messy build that doesn't look like a ship until it is finished and I never felt like I was accomplishing anything but it looks impressive on display (minus the white technic bricks)

attachicon.gifIMG_20140712_172137.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20140712_172203.jpg

Yeah the white is kinda weird but it is bigger then the new one so it has that going for it. The one thing that I hate though is how they wasted alotta space by adding the dumb escape pod lol

Today, I was able to find most of the pieces to the 5978 Sphinx Secret Surprise. I built the set and it reminded me of the different Adventures sets that Lego sold in the 90's. It looks like a great theme and I want the rest of the sets, but I can't afford it, so this set is going to the "to be sold" bin.

I picked up a used Star Wars: Clone Wars Twilight (7680) to build with my son.  I never thought this thing would be so challenging.  Tons of Technic and pins so far.  I can't believe how many large light grey and dark grey plates this thing comes with.  This thing is going to be larger than I expected, and heavy.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=7680-1

I got through book 1 last night and I spent about 45 minutes correcting a mistake I made early in the build.  The Technic pieces are so tight that it was challenging to get it apart for the fix, without possibly severely messing something up where I couldn't remember how to put it back together.

Fun so far, and Rotta (stinky) is so small that I now understand why he's so easy for folks to lose.  I told my son we're putting him up, since he's worth $20-$25 by himself.

• Like 1

Last night I built the City SUV with Watercraft - 60058

It was a fun and quick build with some cool brightly colored parts. 

I am still not great with videos, but here is one made up of the pictures I took along the way.

Thanks for looking! I am still new to YouTube, so any likes, comments, or subscriptions would be appreciated :)

Pretty good for your first video! I think the only thing I didn't like was that you kept moving the picture, and there were times that the build never got to the center of the page, so some parts were cut off. Instead, I'd just stick to still pictures, or minimal movements in the slides. 

Pretty good for your first video! I think the only thing I didn't like was that you kept moving the picture, and there were times that the build never got to the center of the page, so some parts were cut off. Instead, I'd just stick to still pictures, or minimal movements in the slides. 

The music, I've heard it before... many times... but I can't remember where it comes from...

I appreciate the feedback.  This was just a quick iMovie production.  The movements were automated and the music was stock from the app :)

One of these days I'll sit down and make something better.  I also need to find time to build during the day, the lighting above the table is horrible at night.

4625 - Pink Brick Box and 70140 - Stinger Duel. Yes, there actually were instructions in the brick box with a couple of inspirational models in the back. What you see on the front of the tub is pretty much what you build with a big handful of leftovers to boot which is nice. Putting together the simple house facade and vehicle reminded me a little of the classic Town sets from Lego's early days so that was neat in a way.

I had looked up some of the contents on Bricklink before to find a few interesting pieces but I must have forgotten all the details as when I browsed through again, I kept finding more parts insanely rare to exclusive in this 'plain' bucket. I could easier list the common bits as there hardly are any really. Shoot, had I thought about it better, I think I could have bought all these in store up for myself! Haha. True the pieces are of the small to medium variety but those usually are the more versatile ones.

On to the Stinger Duel that I ended up opening out of curiosity and the package had a few points that made me leery whether it was still factory sealed, it was ....interesting. Honestly there really isn't anything there far as any sort of build goes. Granted I know the whole point is the Speedor thingies but even the obstacle is very miniscule although kind of neat. I can applaud Lego for lowering the price of the single Speedorz but to keep the essential starter pack as $20 for so little content feels bogus.

Moving along, the main drive here is the exclusive Scolder and his wicked sick Nightstinger. The printing and coloring on both is bad-freakin-ass, man. Shadowind (Lavertus) is cool too but they made him like a transition between his normal shelf and Scorpion form instead of the trippy enigma seen in the TV series so some mixed emotions there. Just a couple pieces in the set are rare which as you may guess is the large tail and spider leg but everything else what little is there is relatively common. In any case, I wouldn't mind much buying a few to amass an army of Scolders from this set if the price is right but far as the rest of the set goes there isn't really anything to bring me back.

I built 6209.  Missing Dengar.  I have the newer version too, 8097.  Both sets have parts that I like better.  I like the trans-smoke windscreen in 6209 over the new clear windscreen but the green round parts on the new version are better than the 6209 construction, IMO.  Looking forward to the rumored UCS Slave I!