What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

3df19f2554c398471d3ecb9328ac310c.jpg
finally got around to building this little guy.
some of you may remember months ago when i found this at the thrift store with no box but still in sealed bags along with instructions for the wonderful price of $10, which i then used a 30% off coupon on to bring it down to just $7.
nice looking set, better in person than in pics on the box. i could see lego updating this someday with a more rounded, smoother look, but this version is a great rendition still.
i would think this would be a little more valuable at this point ( i still have a sealed one i got at target for $125 long ago, my first “investment” set) but i’m guessing it’s because it doesn’t really have any rare parts and can be bricklinked easily.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Good to know. I have it in our to build pile because of that Target deal. I think I’ll pass.

I can expand on my comments a little.  First off, it's repetitive due to the four legs and they don't have much articulation.  The legs rotate at the Technic joint and that's it.  There isn't much posability with that configuration.  The legs limited movement and the stud shooters are the only "play" features of this set.  Usually Lego will squeeze something else it that will surprise and make a boring set slightly better, but there's nothing here.

I usually try to keep sets together to sell at a later date, but this is going straight into the parts bin.

13 hours ago, TigerEyez said:

First I built a new display shelf

CD2A900D-2E13-4902-B2B8-A07BBD3A4E66.jpeg

If anyone is interested it’s the IKEA IVAR shelving system. They have a 12” depth and a 20” depth and various shelf widths. This is 20” depth with 30” shelves. The vertical pieces and shelves are $10 each and the cross braces are $5 each. It’s unfinished solid pine. Really easy to put together. This setup was $260 total minus a $25 off coupon I got for joining their rewards program. I had planned on building a built-in shelving/cabinet across this 14’ wall but that’s not happening anytime soon and I needed to increase organization of my display and set storage. 

• Like 6

IKEA has some really good stuff even when many ppl despise of it claiming its just "another unimaginative mainstream" . and they want to have their apartments / households look different.. well yeah, but still their furniture and interior pieces last for years, are pretty easy to assemble together and overall (e.g. warehouse purposes) one can hardly find a better deal given the price vs quality comparison. 

it looks really good.. and I can easily see these shelves later on fitted with some tiny LED diodes .. in dark.. casting some moonlight on all of the pristine collection pieces..  :p...   the dust cleaning must be a b---ch :)

Edited by crayxlp

2 hours ago, crayxlp said:

IKEA has some really good stuff even when many ppl despise of it claiming its just "another unimaginative mainstream" . and they want to have their apartments / households look different.. well yeah, but still their furniture and interior pieces last for years, are pretty easy to assemble together and overall (e.g. warehouse purposes) one can hardly find a better deal given the price vs quality comparison. 

it looks really good.. and I can easily see these shelves later on fitted with some tiny LED diodes .. in dark.. casting some moonlight on all of the pristine collection pieces..  :p...   the dust cleaning must be a b---ch :)

Speaking of dust, I noticed that a lot of us seem to have our collections on open shelves.  I was just curious what people do to try and get the dust off?  Or keep it off?

54 minutes ago, kouks said:

Speaking of dust, I noticed that a lot of us seem to have our collections on open shelves.  I was just curious what people do to try and get the dust off?  Or keep it off?

I use keyboard air spray cans. It works decently. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

May want to invest in one of these if your collection is large. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001J4ZOAW

Just a thought here....but wouldn't it be cheaper to buy an air mattress pump. Comes with all those different size nozzles/tips. I feel this would work just as good at a fraction of the cost.

Just an example of what I am talking about....

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Air-Beds-Electrical-110-125v/dp/B003LIKRKQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1528287371&sr=8-4&keywords=air+mattress+pump

Edited by Fleck

1 hour ago, BricksBrotha said:

Do you own this or ever tried it?  The reviews appear to be some what mixed.

Yes, I own it.  I feel that 4.7 out of 3,000+ reviews is pretty good, and I would concur with most of the positive reviews.

1 hour ago, Fleck said:

Just a thought here....but wouldn't it be cheaper to buy an air mattress pump. Comes with all those different size nozzles/tips. I feel this would work just as good at a fraction of the cost.

Just an example of what I am talking about....

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Air-Beds-Electrical-110-125v/dp/B003LIKRKQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1528287371&sr=8-4&keywords=air+mattress+pump

That pump is listed at 450 L/min which is about 16 CFM this blower is listed at 70 CFM.

With the price of compressed air, the thing is easily worth the money.  I think you can snag it a few bucks cheaper over on Newegg, plus no tax for my.  I would still say that compressed air has the advantage in some tight crevices with stuck on dirt, but I was much more judicious with my use of compressed air, which probably allowed for some dust buildup.  I use this thing way more often and stay on top of the dirt easier since I don't feel like I'm paying to use the compressed air. 

It's handy for all sorts of cleaning jobs, not just Lego dusting, I blew out the bug zapper the other day.

• Like 2

Today, I built two sets that I received this week: 75206 Jedi and Clone Troopers Battle Pack (minus Clone Trooper minifigs, want to sell these) and 75932 Jurassic Park Velociraptor Chase (minus Velociraptor, going to be sold).

The battle pack I bought just for the Jedi knights. The Velociraptor chase is a decent built with a good number of parts useful to me and spectacular minifigs. In my opinion, it's the most interesting set from the theme next to 75930 (Indoraptor Rampage at Lockwood Estate) due to the selection of minifigures and the fact that it's not vehicle-based.

P1240524.thumb.JPG.6ff95b18cfef61a39b9ada164eaa9013.JPG

P1240545.thumb.JPG.5cf85aba11d0415418bc21a52f913888.JPG

• Like 2

Just built Ninjago City and what a treat.  Great aesthetics, impressive size, and the build itself was great once you got past the baseplate work.  With all the different rooms and levels to build, and all of the great detail of the interior and exterior of the city, it was one of the most fun builds I've done in awhile.  My compliments to the designers - this one is really cool and now I can't wait to get the Ninjago City Docks set. 

• Like 6