Brick Classifieds Feedback and Questions

Jeff Mack

I feel the search algorithm needs to be adjusted to help older listings show up on the front page or a generic search.

Example:

http://www.brickclassifieds.com/products/lego-movie-70818-double-decker-couch-brand-new-sealed

Great price in my opinion, sold MANY on others sites for almost double, but no bites on BC

Just a suggestion.

Almost like a "Best Match" search result.

Jeff-

I had a buyer contact my store and I got the message on my phone, but I can't access it in BC messages inbox.  Shows basically just what I showed you before, but now the header at the top shows "2 messages".  It seems the "inbox" is not getting the messages, because it shows up correctly everywhere else.

EDIT:  His next messages went through, not sure why the first did not.

I think it would be appropriate to add a ribbon or badge to listings that offer free shipping, in order to discern the difference to buyers. I've put free shipping on a few of my listings, and I feel it would draw in buyers if free shipping was more noticeable in the mass of listings, since more often than not, the base price is a little higher than it would be if shipping were seperate. Thanks!

I feel the search algorithm needs to be adjusted to help older listings show up on the front page or a generic search.

Example:

http://www.brickclassifieds.com/products/lego-movie-70818-double-decker-couch-brand-new-sealed

Great price in my opinion, sold MANY on others sites for almost double, but no bites on BC

Just a suggestion.

Almost like a "Best Match" search result.

You have to give the site some time, we haven't even marketed it yet at all.  Right now, the home page just shows the most recent listings. Site is a week old.

I think it would be appropriate to add a ribbon or badge to listings that offer free shipping, in order to discern the difference to buyers. I've put free shipping on a few of my listings, and I feel it would draw in buyers if free shipping was more noticeable in the mass of listings, since more often than not, the base price is a little higher than it would be if shipping were seperate. Thanks!

Has already been brought up and on the list.

Sorry if this has been asked or is obvious, but is there a way/place to post WTB (wanted to buy) lists.

Thanks.

Yes there is a whole module being developed for this, it is not just s simple quick posting.  It will be a major tool for buyers and sellers to move merchandise.  No other site is doing anything like this.  Along with this update will be a whole manual order/invoice setup where you can talk with members about coming up with a deal.  You create a new invoice and pull items from your inventory. You can add discounts, alter shipping, etc and send them an invoice.  They get an email showing everything and a total with a big button that says "Approve and Buy Now".  It will take you directly to the cart with all the items in your cart for you to checkout.

Jeff and Ed,

First, thank you so much for the time, effort, and money that you have put into Brick Classifieds. I am very impressed with the quality and overall polish you have given the site. I supervise web application developers for a living and I feel I have a good understanding of what it has taken to get the site where it is at. I'm very grateful for the chance to start using it.

I have a question before I list some of my items because I want my listings to fit with your overall goal and intent for the site. There are many comments about the goal being to list at a fair and honest price. However, how do you feel about listing items knowing they are priced to high at this time? For example I have some sets I need to hit a certain value to make the return I would like. I expect they will be going for that amount by mid-year. I could list them now and they are good to go, but they would seem priced high at this point. Would the preference be that I keep those items hidden until the market price and my price are more in line?

Jeff and Ed,

First, thank you so much for the time, effort, and money that you have put into Brick Classifieds. I am very impressed with the quality and overall polish you have given the site. I supervise web application developers for a living and I feel I have a good understanding of what it has taken to get the site where it is at. I'm very grateful for the chance to start using it.

I have a question before I list some of my items because I want my listings to fit with your overall goal and intent for the site. There are many comments about the goal being to list at a fair and honest price. However, how do you feel about listing items knowing they are priced to high at this time? For example I have some sets I need to hit a certain value to make the return I would like. I expect they will be going for that amount by mid-year. I could list them now and they are good to go, but they would seem priced high at this point. Would the preference be that I keep those items hidden until the market price and my price are more in line?

I am sure Ed will have something extra to write in, but you have to remember.  This are no fees coming out right now.  I am not sure what you are listing, but say you are listing a Town Hall at $400, you will lose ~$40 commission to eBay.  Do you still need to list at $400 on BC?  Or can you do it at $375.  If there are no fees coming out from this end, what is the real number you need to list for?  

People can price it for what they want.  If that is the strategy you think will work for you, then go crazy.

The success and speed of growth for Brick Classifieds also depends largely on the sellers doing their job.  I already know that everyday I put more work into this site and it will get better, but if people visit here a few times and see pricing of people planning for the future...well you know how that will go.

• Like 1

Good argument, Jeff. And I totally am accounting for the 2% fees instead of what I would pay on eBay. I will limit what I put up to be more in line with current market prices instead of trends and if I need to sell higher than current market I will refrain from listing until later. Thanks!

I know this may end up being an ultra low priority request but I'll throw it out there anyways. I've been working on a couple "private" deals through the BP private messaging and unless you guys are going to start charging membership fees, I for one would be willing to sell through "private" Brick Classified listings so you get a % of the sale. I know you're not charging anything right now, but a 2% fee is less than reasonable IMHO.

I know I can make public listings, but there is always a chance that someone else buys it... :)

I know this may end up being an ultra low priority request but I'll throw it out there anyways. I've been working on a couple "private" deals through the BP private messaging and unless you guys are going to start charging membership fees, I for one would be willing to sell through "private" Brick Classified listings so you get a % of the sale. I know you're not charging anything right now, but a 2% fee is less than reasonable IMHO.

I know I can make public listings, but there is always a chance that someone else buys it... :)

I had a post about this a few up from yours.

Yes there is a whole module being developed for this, it is not just s simple quick posting.  It will be a major tool for buyers and sellers to move merchandise.  No other site is doing anything like this.  Along with this update will be a whole manual order/invoice setup where you can talk with members about coming up with a deal.  You create a new invoice and pull items from your inventory. You can add discounts, alter shipping, etc and send them an invoice.  They get an email showing everything and a total with a big button that says "Approve and Buy Now".  It will take you directly to the cart with all the items in your cart for you to checkout.

Depending on how everything goes, the goal date for that will be sometime during the first week of February.  There will be a few smaller releases of things before then, but still features people are looking for and other fixes.   Basically this manual order feature will be great for all those behind the scenes types of deals.

If you just want to send Ed and I a check for like $1000, that is fine, it should cover you and your black market dealings for a while.  I won't tell anyone.

• Like 1

I had a post about this a few up from yours.

Depending on how everything goes, the goal date for that will be sometime during the first week of February. There will be a few smaller releases of things before then, but still features people are looking for and other fixes. Basically this manual order feature will be great for all those behind the scenes types of deals.

If you just want to send Ed and I a check for like $1000, that is fine, it should cover you and your black market dealings for a while. I won't tell anyone.

Wow, I totally missed that. I like it!

The fees wouldn't quite have been $1k, unless I sold it on eBay then it'd have been close! :)

Next.... Can you add a shipped by Canada Post option when you're marking something as shipped? The USPS one will probably work for CAN-to-US sales since the tracking number eventually gets scanned into USPS's system, but for CAN-to-CAN it's not going to.

Sure, I just added it.

This is the link i used

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/track/personal/findByTrackNumber?trackingNumber={tracking_number}&LOCALE=en

If you know of a different link format, please let me know.  This came from their site so it "should" work.

• Like 1

Sure, I just added it.

This is the link i used

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/track/personal/findByTrackNumber?trackingNumber={tracking_number}&LOCALE=en

If you know of a different link format, please let me know.  This came from their site so it "should" work.

Awesome.. that looks right. I know eBay uses /business instead of /personal but I don't think it matters. Merci!

Jeff/Ed,

Under the dashboard there is a "Views" section where you can see how many store and product views you have had.

Is there a way to see which products are being viewed or views by product?

Each product is being tracked individually.  I will get an analytics button up there and build some graphs.

Each product is being tracked individually.  I will get an analytics button up there and build some graphs.

I'm sure you have a long laundry list of "Things we'd love to have on BC", but just wanted to make sure I wasn't over looking that feature.

No rush on this one. Just add it to the list please.

many thanks!

Hello, I am really confused about prices.

e.g.

I added new item for EUR 185. After few days... in PUBLISHED PRODUCTS it shows EUR 191.25, when you search for it on site, it shows EUR 186.47. :-/

This is happeing with all my items.

Ok, so an answer on the currency setup.  This marketplace is in USD.  Later, when the site is out of beta, all fees, etc will be taken from the USD amount.  Currency is updated 4x a day.  When you add an item in your local currency it gets converted to USD.  Then on the main part of the site, it will get converted again back to whatever the local currency is.  Sometimes, depending on how the currency is setup, the math will not match 100%.

This example below is not current, but I used it as an example to show someone.

bp_1422141902__2015-01-24_18-24-15.png

I have been quiet on new things here.  I have been fixing some bugs behind the scenes as well as some features to my admin module to help support people quicker. Today I added a new feature though.  It is a vacation mode module.  When you store is in vacation mode, people will not be allowed to purchase from your shop.  They will be able to look through your shop, but if they click the Add to Cart button, a nice message will appear letting them know the shop is current closed.  They will also see a message that you can set when people go to your main store page.

bp_1422138694__2015-01-24_17-30-42.png

• Like 4

I have been quiet on new things here. I have been fixing some bugs behind the scenes as well as some features to my admin module to help support people quicker. Today I added a new feature though. It is a vacation mode module. When you store is in vacation mode, people will not be allowed to purchase from your shop. They will be able to look through your shop, but if they click the Add to Cart button, a nice message will appear letting them know the shop is current closed. They will also see a message that you can set when people go to your main store page.

bp_1422138694__2015-01-24_17-30-42.png

Bravo!