Brick Classifieds Feedback and Questions

Jeff Mack

I've been using a DSLR to take pics of mine. Been frustrated by results, but now I know how to set a custom white balance.

I'll be retaking pics of a lot of sets. But yes it is worth it in the end. I like sharp crisp pics of my items so there is no room for speculation about what you are getting.

I am _no_ photographer that's for sure. I can take a decent picture, but I've never bothered to read into the different kinds of adjustments our DSLR can make... Point and shoot baby.

The pictures are coming out OK but I can't figure out how to get the flash to not wash out some of the box. If I go from too far away, it's better but then it's hard to get some up close details when needed. Would white balance help with that?

That made me laugh.

Although I'm sure that was a serious statement.

It's true.  There have been many sales and all have been reasonably priced.  The Classifieds, with time, will find its niche.  It can't be everything for everybody.  Some people insist on asking high prices and are willing to pay top fees on eBay and Amazon.  That is great.  We don't expect to get a lot of those sellers and we understand.  All I can say that with time, the Classifieds will continue to improve and features will be added if the demand is there.  

While I enjoy a high ROI I am of the mindset that my prices need to be competitive to sell. The longer I wait for a overpriced item to sell is longer I have to wait to reinvest that capital.

One question I have is if there is a way to have one listing with multiple items in it. In an eBay store you can have a listing for Polybags and then list several polybags at different prices within the listing.

Shipping costs etc are the same for each.

This encourages buyers to purchase more than one polybag and makes it easier when listing 10-15 different polybags.

Is there an option for this?

Edited by pstebbing

While I enjoy a high ROI I am of the mindset that my prices need to be competitive to sell. The longer I wait for a overpriced item to sell is longer I have to wait to reinvest that capital.

One question I have is if there is a way to have one listing with multiple items in it. In an eBay store you can have a listing for Polybags and then list several polybags at different prices within the listing.

Shipping costs etc are the same for each.

This encourages buyers to purchase more than one polybag and makes it easier when listing 10-15 different polybags.

Is there an option for this?

Are you not seeing the quantity box under the price box. It's on the pricing tab. You enter the price and the quantity.

Are you not seeing the quantity box under the price box. It's on the pricing tab. You enter the price and the quantity.

I think he means to have an assortment of polybags within a single listing, like a drop down.  I've never figured out how ebay sellers do it, but it works well to have several similar items in one listing.

• Like 1

I made two purchases fairly $$$  from the site. The prices we agreed upon I felt were fair, and the best I have seen, I don't know all to many  websites to look for LEGO deals , besides CL, Ebay, Brinklink,. . Communication has gone well so far with the seller. I will post when sets arrive  my final thoughts..  

I would rather buy from someone that is on any of the forums I frequent than ebay if I could help it.   Even know I don't know the seller, I feel I would get a better price and treated better than if I was buying from EBAY. IMO..

I'm glad I found this Forum, very informative and from what I seen thus far friendly group of men and women..  

Edited by house72
  • Like 1

I think he means to have an assortment of polybags within a single listing, like a drop down.  I've never figured out how ebay sellers do it, but it works well to have several similar items in one listing.

It might be something to develop later on, but I think those listings are somewhat deceptive and confusing.  Sellers show 20 polybags and the buyers think they are getting them for $10.  I think it's important for sellers to state they combine shipping and have other items for sale.

I am _no_ photographer that's for sure. I can take a decent picture, but I've never bothered to read into the different kinds of adjustments our DSLR can make... Point and shoot baby.

The pictures are coming out OK but I can't figure out how to get the flash to not wash out some of the box. If I go from too far away, it's better but then it's hard to get some up close details when needed. Would white balance help with that?

Heres a basic chart below for white balance.  Check your settings on your camera and be closest in Kelvins to that. So for flash try to use the closest setting on your camera to 5k.  For best results you would want to get away from a flash all together and use a cheap studio light.  If space is limited you can use copy stands and attach the light to the poles overhead.  If you have a canon you can also change the amount of light getting through with the scroll wheel right behind the shutter (works on T2i T3i T4i T5i, and should be on SL1 also).  For this type of photography I stand behind the Eos Rebels.  I tried a few others (Nikon D3200 and some Panasomic Lumix) and for overall ease of use and working in lower light situations they were the easiest and gave the best results (I am in no ways a professional but take on average 150,000 photos for listings per year).

With the Eos Utility Software you can hardwire right to your computer and take the photos with it if you wanted to (if you were doing something like mini figs you just focus on one with a tabletop tripod and click away with your mouse) and they go right onto your harddrive and are ready to go.

Incandescent light bulb 2800-3300K Sunrise, sunset 3350K Midday sun, electronic flash 5000K Bright sunshine, clear sky 5500-6000K

Here is an overhead pic of what the setup looks like and a cropped photo of a set using this system.  No flash, just the lights in a dark office with no real bright light.  Its 2 copy stands side by side with 3 overhead lights (can get away with 2 its just for my jewelry listings).  The lights are dirt cheap on ebay.  The copy stands with 2 lights are about $125-150 on ebay.  You can buy used copy stand and lights though.  For big sets out of your house 2 would be needed to make it work for exclusives.

At our warehouse where most of our listings are done its a custom station made out of of door with a large white fabric that goes up and all the way down so it eliminates anything but the item after the crops.  There we just use the light put out with our normal office light but same principal for if you have a small space and want to take crisp photos for your listings.

post-40002-0-83968200-1421109632_thumb.j

post-40002-0-04653100-1421109635_thumb.j

• Like 3

Thanks raven... That is pretty simple.

I have some lights that might work in that scenario, except I've loaned them to a friend's daughter for a junior high science fair.

Probably goes without saying, but this site is great. I know people keep some lil nuggets, but I appreciate your help in improving my photos.

• Like 2

It might be something to develop later on, but I think those listings are somewhat deceptive and confusing.  Sellers show 20 polybags and the buyers think they are getting them for $10.  I think it's important for sellers to state they combine shipping and have other items for sale.

Yeah, I'm not campaigning to have this feature, just making sure we knew what he was talking about.  BC's ability to basically add items to a cart fills in for this feature pretty well. 

I list and sell lots of items on EBay where I offer multiple color(s) and multiple Lot Sizes of the same item. So having the same function on BC would be a great improvement to me.

I understand you have lots of pressing issues right now but I would greatly appreciate you putting this on you list of possible future enhancements. Here is location of one of my listings on EBay so you may see what I'm talking about. Listing with Variations

I list and sell lots of items on EBay where I offer multiple color(s) and multiple Lot Sizes of the same item. So having the same function on BC would be a great improvement to me.

I understand you have lots of pressing issues right now but I would greatly appreciate you putting this on you list of possible future enhancements. Here is location of one of my listings on EBay so you may see what I'm talking about. Listing with Variations

We already do have something to handle this.  Its the Variations tab that you see when listing a product. This is here for those that may want to list parts.  That is why I have a bunch of the part colors already listed in there in their different categories.  Then there are a few CUSTOM attributes there for people that may want to sell items like you or many some clothes, etc.  We will continue to fine tune it, but it does already exist.

It also allows for different pricing for each item as well as quantity management.  So you can say I have 10 red ones at $5.00 each and then I have 100 Blue ones at $4.00 each, etc.

You can also list sets this way.  You may have 100 #10188 Death Stars.  You can use this to breakout conditions.  50 maybe MISB, 20 may not have a box or no minifigures, etc.  Then people can select what they want and it will allow you to set the different prices.

bp_1421159071__2015-01-13_09-23-39.png

• Like 3

We already do have something to handle this.  Its the Variations tab that you see when listing a product. This is here for those that may want to list parts.  That is why I have a bunch of the part colors already listed in there in their different categories.  Then there are a few CUSTOM attributes there for people that may want to sell items like you or many some clothes, etc.  We will continue to fine tune it, but it does already exist.

It also allows for different pricing for each item as well as quantity management.  So you can say I have 10 red ones at $5.00 each and then I have 100 Blue ones at $4.00 each, etc.

You can also list sets this way.  You may have 100 #10188 Death Stars.  You can use this to breakout conditions.  50 maybe MISB, 20 may not have a box or no minifigures, etc.  Then people can select what they want and it will allow you to set the different prices.

bp_1421159071__2015-01-13_09-23-39.png

I saw the variation fields but did not see and/or understand how to use them. Guess I will have to play around some more to see if I can figure it out. Thanks.

Jeff-  Are we able to edit tracking information?  It looks like I entered the same tracking for both invoices I had the other day. 

At this time no.  I did that because it is setting the status from Processed to Shipped and it does not reset the status.  I would just suggest to send a discussion note to the person with the updated tracking info.

At this time no.  I did that because it is setting the status from Processed to Shipped and it does not reset the status.  I would just suggest to send a discussion note to the person with the updated tracking info.

That was what I did.  I read my receipt wrong and used the wrong #.  Fortunately, all was delivered the same day so it worked out.