76042 - SHIELD Helicarrier

KShine

I actually think Lego is putting these as temp out of stock so that the hoard cannot get them. It would make sense. 

But by doing that they would be preventing customers from buying their product. If they wanted to drastically limit resellers there would be better ways of going about it than pulling stock. For example setting a limit of 1 per item while monitoring accounts more vigorously for suspicious buying patterns. They could also remove the free items during double VIP. While resellers make it difficult for Lego to manage stock levels we also are responsible for creating huge profits for them. The recent articles about Lego struggling to maintain demand is the most likely reason and there's probably nothing sinister about it. 

• Like 4

I thought Target was supposed to PM Amazon & Walmart...At $384.99 they're not helping me, if this thing really does retire early.

unfortunately the whole online price matching does not seem to be quite as automatic as we would like. unless the price goes up of course.  but they will adjust the price if you contact CS, as well as log it and tag you as a potential reseller...

But by doing that they would be preventing customers from buying their product. If they wanted to drastically limit resellers there would be better ways of going about it than pulling stock. For example setting a limit of 1 per item while monitoring accounts more vigorously for suspicious buying patterns. They could also remove the free items during double VIP. While resellers make it difficult for Lego to manage stock levels we also are responsible for creating huge profits for them. The recent articles about Lego struggling to maintain demand is the most likely reason and there's probably nothing sinister about it. 

I didn't see any articles but I'd assume you meant LEGO is struggling to maintain SUPPLY, correct? I would assume the demand for the product would not be a problem currently.

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, tacsniper said:

Exclusive just for one year? Nah... they are gonna milk it unless it becomes too expensive to make or missed opportunity costs else where.

My thoughts on this set are slightly different.  my thoughts are they are gonna milk it unless it becomes a true a slow seller (e.g. Town Hall & Haunted House seemed to be) and keeping it at retail creates missed opportunity costs elsewhere.

45 minutes ago, tacsniper said:

Exclusive just for one year? Nah... they are gonna milk it unless it becomes too expensive to make or missed opportunity costs else where.

My thoughts on this set are slightly different.  my thoughts are they are gonna milk it unless it becomes a true a slow seller (e.g. Town Hall & Haunted House seemed to be) and keeping it at retail creates missed opportunity costs elsewhere.

We'll be building one soon. Ordered the power functions during double VIP.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, allen9917 said:

Agree.  The more interesting question is on the helicarrier. We need Ed to provide some comments on it. 

Me too. Might as well just be Lego informing the ordinary customer that it is going. Maybe they had complaints in the past from people who were to late.

• 4 weeks later...

I visited a toy shop yesterday and saw the Helicarrier for the first time on display. This set didn't caught my attention yet when only watching pics online but I have to admit....this set looks amazing in real life....what a great set, just magnificent!! Today is my birthday...this set would be a great present :lolu:. This one or either a used HH 10228 is on the top of my list to buy soon...

On 5-1-2016 at 2:00 AM, wiebeloco said:

Hi, i was wondering if you guys thought the 'shield helicarrier' 76042-1 would be a good investment? And if you thought it would be in stock for much longer? cheerz!

Released in 2015, a licensed exclusive. It would be a bit too early :derisive: but who knows...2016 can be full of surprises.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought one a couple of days ago and the seal code on mine was 30R5.

This is a fantastic set, and having it built is truly amazing the size of the set.  It was a fun build and really freaking solid.  I have to say this is a set that I think will be one that should skyrocket if it retires this year.  It will definitely be one of those cases people will freak out over having missed it, and on top of a short shelf life, it's going to be a good one IMO.  On top of the fact, that we will probably never see another version ever again. 

13 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

I just bought one a couple of days ago and the seal code on mine was 30R5.

This is a fantastic set, and having it built is truly amazing the size of the set.  It was a fun build and really freaking solid.  I have to say this is a set that I think will be one that should skyrocket if it retires this year.  It will definitely be one of those cases people will freak out over having missed it, and on top of a short shelf life, it's going to be a good one IMO.  On top of the fact, that we will probably never see another version ever again. 

The set itself is not that impressive. It just follows the golden rule of LEGO (or life) that says the bigger it is the more awesome it is. 

Since the set is huge, it is impressive. However still awkward looking (in my opinion).

5 minutes ago, inversion said:

The set itself is not that impressive. It just follows the golden rule of LEGO (or life) that says the bigger it is the more awesome it is. 

Since the set is huge, it is impressive. However still awkward looking (in my opinion).

Sounds like the Creator Sydney Opera House then, big set, must be impressive, but much too monochrome for my liking.

20 minutes ago, inversion said:

I think it is a pretty awesome set.  For a retail set that Lego could produce, this is a pretty good set.  I enjoyed putting it together.  Sure I know our opinions are different, but you have to recognize the limitations of what Lego as a company can do as well.  For a $350 set, it does the job very well.  I know that there have been better representations of the Helicarrier, but we are talking some MOCs as low as like 7000, to well over 20,000 (I believe.)  It's just not possible to produce such a set without Lego losing insane amounts of money on it.

Not to mention people complained about the same thing with the SSD.  It's not proportional, it's ugly, the bottom is flat, etc, etc, etc.  It didn't stop it appreciation, nor the fact that it's still a cool set.

The thing is, you can truly pick apart any set that they produce, and not everyone will like it.  There have been a few sets that I've purchased that were a bit underwhelming, but it happens.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, inversion said:

Except that SOH is a good representation of the base material. Blame the building for its colors...

That's a fair comment, but I look at it and think meh, it's a bit lifeless, whereas the Tower Bridge, which is pretty monochrome too has a bit more life to it.

Sorry for taking the topic off track.

1 minute ago, citymorgue said:

I think it is a pretty awesome set.  For a retail set that Lego could produce, this is a pretty good set.  I enjoyed putting it together.  Sure I know our opinions are different, but you have to recognize the limitations of what Lego as a company can do as well.  For a $350 set, it does the job very well.  I know that there have been better representations of the Helicarrier, but we are talking some MOCs as low as like 7000, to well over 20,000 (I believe.)  It's just not possible to produce such a set without Lego losing insane amounts of money on it.

Not to mention people complained about the same thing with the SSD.  It's not proportional, it's ugly, the bottom is flat, etc, etc, etc.  It didn't stop it appreciation, nor the fact that it's still a cool set.

The thing is, you can truly pick apart any set that they produce, and not everyone will like it.  There have been a few sets that I've purchased that were a bit underwhelming, but it happens.

I believe that SSD was much more proportional than Helicarrier. Also LEGO easily could have created Helicarrier similarly to SSD, without comparing it to MOCs and changing the piece count. It is just a poor design, halfway between a display set and a play set, falling between two chairs, because it is good for neither.

Believe me, if they intended it to be pure display, they could have done it without inflating costs. 

• Like 1