76042 - SHIELD Helicarrier

KShine

3 hours ago, inversion said:

The set itself is not that impressive. It just follows the golden rule of LEGO (or life) that says the bigger it is the more awesome it is. 

Since the set is huge, it is impressive. However still awkward looking (in my opinion).

I can't seem to put my finger on it. When I look at Helicarrier pics online, it looks so awesome. I just looked at some again right now. But when I saw the set on display at the Lego store several months back, it was very underwhelming to me and something about it was off when I was standing there. I couldn't put my finger on it. It wasn't on display anymore when I went recently, so I couldn't reconfirm my feelings for it. I may just bite the bullet and get one to be on the safe side.

3 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

When I look at Helicarrier pics online, it looks so awesome. I just looked at some again right now. But when I saw the set on display at the Lego store several months back, it was very underwhelming to me.

It will remain underwhelming for the rest of your life if you take a look at this

• Like 5

I always Emails and I have talked to alot of guys on this site asking me what I am buying and what I will be buying, which I always give them the 100% Truth, alot have listened and I am sure many have not, now on the Helicarrier I will have 3-5 thats all, not saying it won't do great, I would rather have 10-15 Sandcrawlers, I already have my goals on 25 Slave1, 26 Tumblers, and all the Exclusives that should be retiring in the next year, and will be buying 5 more Simpson sets to have 15 each, and the main thing mentally for me is that I don't have to do the Panic buying, and getting them online and get damaged boxes. I get all mine at the Lego stores all great mint boxes. So for the guys that can afford it pick up the Exclusives now and then, which I been saying for a few years,   Ed

• Like 7

Having or buying the Hellicarrier is never about its beauty. Yes its a bit off, odd and maybe a bit childish even. But c'mon...It's a freak'n HELLICARRIER, it's certified and made out of real LEGO in a BIG BOX you can buy! Who cares what it looks like under a magnifiying glass...It's about watching the Avengers movie with friends and say 'You see that Hellicarrier falling from the sky? Yeah...What about it? I have it...Made out of LEGO, Then show them the BIG BOX and let them imagine what it feels like to own it..That's what the Hellicarrier is about, 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

LEGO could have made the set a little bigger...and better.  I like it, but in many ways it is too childish.  As with any Super Hero set as of late, you have to wonder how well this set will appreciate.

I wish they could make a lot of things bigger and better, but if they did that, then people would ***** about how much more expensive it is and they should've scaled it back.

I'm a little surprised at the hate that this thing is getting.  Is it perfect? No, obviously, but you have to wonder about some of the expectations.  Yes, it'll have limited appeal because of the price point and the subject matter, but still, it's nice to see Lego take shots like this honestly.  Outside of their bread and butter Star Wars, to see them try to go big on a set like this is nice, and I welcome more of it.

I'm really not the biggest fan of Lego mashing up a play set and display set.  For instance with the sandcrawler.  Now I do appreciate the set, and really enjoy it, I don't play with the set, and would've liked to seen it more as a display model than a play set.  This is why for me, my more favorite models are; Imperial Shuttle, Slave 1, and MF.  Good all around display models.  Obviously they can't please everyone, but I do wish Lego would just do one or the other and stop mixing it together.

I don't particularly like that it's scaled down to micro-size minifigs, including the micro-sized Quinjets. 

It's the same issue I have with the 75106 - Imperial Assault Carrier with its micro sized TIE Fighters. It's just ... meh ....

Regarding Lego I want my sets to either be minifig sized (like the Slave 1 for example), or a bit larger sized (for example the VW T1, Mini Cooper, F40). 

Scaling it down smaller than minifig sized just doesn't feel LEGO like.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Haay said:

I don't particularly like that it's scaled down to micro-size minifigs, including the micro-sized Quinjets. 

It's the same issue I have with the 75106 - Imperial Assault Carrier with its micro sized TIE Fighters. It's just ... meh ....

Regarding Lego I want my sets to either be minifig sized (like the Slave 1 for example), or a bit larger sized (for example the VW T1, Mini Cooper, F40). 

I understand the gripe with minifig size.  It would be fantastic, but if you were to truly scale it to minifig size, the damn thing would have to be like 30 feet long.  Just like if you were to make a minifig scaled version of the SSD it would be several city blocks big.  Even the sandcrawler would have to be significantly bigger to be minifig size.

7 hours ago, Kenxxx said:

That reminds me... I saw this car a couple weeks ago in the parking garage... I had to take pictures for you guys.

I find it silly that he has Marvel stuff all over the car, but a license plate referring to a DC character.

1 minute ago, Haay said:

What about Death Star, SSD, SOH, and all the others... they aren't minifig scale either. But they don't include microfigs. So perhaps it's all about these "microfig scale" models?

4 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

I'm a little surprised at the hate that this thing is getting.

To dislike sth = hate sth? I hope not. Seems a little exaggerated, or not? ;)

But to be honest, this model is one, I do not like that much, too. As of said reasons, it just doesn't fit any size. Bigger would be too expensive, smaller, ... no way. Strange, isn't it? :P

2 minutes ago, Ensche said:

To dislike sth = hate sth? I hope not. Seems a little exaggerated, or not? ;)

But to be honest, this model is one, I do not like that much, too. As of said reasons, it just doesn't fit any size. Bigger would be too expensive, smaller, ... no way. Strange, isn't it? :P

Ok, I may have used too strong of a word, but that's the funny thing about Legos (or any hobby in general.)  When you become passionate about something, you start to get picky about a lot of little details.  I would say 99.9% of the people that have seen my room of my collection of Legos, doesn't go through with a fine toothed comb to pick everything apart to the miniscule detail.  They can spend a lot of time just admiring what you can do with lego.  That's the best part about it.  Sharing my love with other people and kids who just get a kick out of it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mijnlamp0310 said:

I bought 2 in my nearest Lego Shop on Saturday... Only thing I noticed was that I was allowed to take 5 but they only had 1 in stock and 2 on the shelve (of which 1 damaged). Shop assistand told me he wasnt sure they would be restocked... Will try again in two weeks to check if he was lying :-)

I hope we dont shop at the same store, was going to buy another one in two weeks, afraid they be gone once you been there;)

4 minutes ago, Quacs said:

All this dislike for the set makes me think this is the next Sea Cow.

I've noticed over the years, most sets like this always follow the same general trend.

Release: panned, not liked, skipped, etc. 

During production: this set is a stinker, no one will buy, etc.

Near retirement: I think I'll pass... Once prices start to spike, the same people start buying and the horde follows.

Retirement: Man this set was awesome, I'm glad I grabbed some when I got the chance. This set is a winner!!!

P.S.  I sure did open a can of worms replying to this topic.  Sweet...

Edited by citymorgue
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

I've noticed over the years, most sets like this always follow the same general trend.

Release: panned, not liked, skipped, etc. 

During production: this set is a stinker, no one will buy, etc.

Near retirement: I think I'll pass... Once prices start to spike, the same people start buying and the horde follows.

Retirement: Man this set was awesome, I'm glad I grabbed some when I got the chance. This set is a winner!!!

P.S.  I sure did open a can of worms replying to this topic.  Sweet...

Congrats, you just described the "higher demand than supply" case, due to the reasons you mentioned ;) of course these sets are a kind of winners. They are not "winners" from the first second they were released, but a kind of, because they weren't hoarded. Means: demand for each kind of set does exist... always!

1 hour ago, Ciglione said:

I like this set. I saw it on display in a store and it is huge enough for me.

Just if you buy it you want to display it. And not everybody has the luxury to have so much display space. I do have enough space now. But you'll never know what the future will bring.

Helicarrier? No thanks.

A couple of years ago I would have bought at least one to hedge. This will be the first exclusive set I'm skipping completely. I hope I'm wrong and the set will do well. But it looks too big, ugly, expensive and slow to sell in Europe to me. I'll save the money to invest in other stuff. Plenty of good choices there.

One of the rare sets that just looks "horrible" on display. Apologies for my French.

It's not for Afols (too many studs and grey), not for kids (no figs & too expensive & large for the parents), not even for part-outers (2x ratio)...

Who is going to buy? Not me. 

I'll pick up some smaller gems.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZULU said:

Helicarrier? No thanks.

A couple of years ago I would have bought at least one to hedge. This will be the first exclusive set I'm skipping completely. I hope I'm wrong and the set will do well. But it looks too big, ugly, expensive and slow to sell in Europe to me. I'll save the money to invest in other stuff. Plenty of good choices there.

One of the rare sets that just looks "horrible" on display. Apologies for my French.

It's not for Afols (too many studs and grey), not for kids (no figs & too expensive & large for the parents), not even for part-outers (2x ratio)...

Who is going to buy? Not me. 

I'll pick up some smaller gems.

Exactly.... this set is not for everybody. Like Seacow. In Europe it will be even more difficult to get some profit on it. However, if you buy it for yourself there is no harm done.

I probably will buy one for myself. None for investment. 

• Like 1