Upcoming Announcement from LEGO...

You already should worry. I noticed now more retailers starting with brickvesting. You can buy retired sets now like the 6868 helicarrier and 6860 Batcave now from a retailer in the Netherlands. If the retailers jump in, we can retire and go EOL.

Maybe that is legos goal. To destroy the evil resellers.

Maybe it is time to quit, as much as i LOVE what we are doing here. It dominates all of my free time. Time to free up my $40k.

Don't get me wrong, i think that what we are doing here is very profitable but the competition is getting bigger and Lego 'hates' us. This site is a good example of it.

Edited by hendrikdejager

Maybe it is time to quit, as much as i LOVE what we are doing here. It dominates all of my free time. Time to free up my $40k.

Don't get me wrong, i think that what we are doing here is very profitable but the competition is getting bigger and Lego 'hates' us. This site is a good example of it.

hendrikdejager do not do that on us.  You have been a source of great information.  Always like your posts.

I definitely think everyone else who does this should quit. I will take one for the team and handle the world's reselling after you all leave. That's the kind of stand up guy I am.

• Like 4

highly doubt it will be a new UCS MF announcement ... Such a thing will be tied to episode VII in one way or the other and I don't see them jumping the gun so early

I agree BA but we can always dream or then again maybe I can work on getting that $2,500 UCS MF and have you cover me like a stock long position with your excess cash. :) (just teasing).

I agree, if the UCS MF is remade I will create an exit strategy for all of my positions over the next 18-24 months.  Mid to long term will not be work the risk for illiquid assets.  They have already remade the X-wing and Sand crawler.  This investment game will go away as will a large segment of LEGOS profits. 

• Like 1

I agree, if the UCS MF is remade I will create an exit strategy for all of my positions over the next 18-24 months.  Mid to long term will not be work the risk for illiquid assets.  They have already remade the X-wing and Sand crawler.  This investment game will go away as will a large segment of LEGOS profits. 

And the old X-wing is still $900, right?

Seriously? Am I the only one who sees the Fantastic 4 logo there?

Oh, I see it.  I just don't believe it's FF-related.

keyword is "HUGE"... so, definitely not Elsa's castle 

That's why I'm going with Doctor Who.  The moment Doctor Who got the green light from Lego Ideas, it was flooded with set ideas.  And two of those sets went on to get 10,000 supporters pretty quickly.

There are tons of Doctor Who fans that will line up to buy Doctor Who Lego (that don't currently buy Lego).  I expect the DW fandom to explode that day.  

It continues to get bigger and bigger every year right now.  You wouldn't expect something 10 years ago (since the reboot), or 50 years old as a franchise to get more popular, but it's now up there with Star Wars and Star Trek for longevity and popularity.

The next round of Lego Ideas is set to be announced soon.  Unlike Ghostbusters and Back to the Future, Doctor Who is in active production.  If one (or both) of the Doctor Who sets don't get produced by Lego Ideas, I think Doctor Who fans will be lighting the torches on both the BBC and TLG.  It makes sense that they would announce a Doctor Who license prior to the Lego Ideas announcement.

It could be wishful thinking on my part.  Every big secret announcement over the last few weeks, I've been whispering "Doctor Who."  The countdown numbers, the colors at the bottom (very TV-like)...just scream Doctor Who to me.

Why?  Because a few sets are remade 5-10 years after the original?  We have been dealing with STAR WARS remakes since the inception of the theme and that hasn't stopped the top sets from appreciating.  If you choose the right sets, you will make money.  

• Like 3

My reason would be that the biggest and baddest of all lego investments will have been remade which should most likely have a devastating effect on 10179.  If that is the case then the risk/reward scenario for me is not good enough.  Since these are illiquid assets and the best and brightest are potentially  being remade, the risk becomes too much for  me.  This is of course my own perspective and does not imply that money could not be made investing this way.  All games change and this would be a change I would not care to wait out.  I have always weighted LEGO ability to produce as the greatest risk to this game.  These of course are my own speculations and not offered up as fact.  Time will tell.  I am the prospective consumer on the 10179.  I would love to buy one right now and would be willing to pay quite a bit.  Should they remake it, then in no way will I pay for the old one.  I expect that demand would drop off quickly on that's set and price would have to follow. 

I don't trust this... we're all hoping for something "huge" now but in the end it will only be something like "there will be new bionicle! there will be the new elves theme! we have a new cuusoo winner!"

nobody else has got this bad feeling about it?

If I am surprised by their big announcement, then I will find that simple fact, that I was surprised, surprising.

My reason would be that the biggest and baddest of all lego investments will have been remade which should most likely have a devastating effect on 10179.  If that is the case then the risk/reward scenario for me is not good enough.  Since these are illiquid assets and the best and brightest are potentially  being remade, the risk becomes too much for  me.  This is of course my own perspective and does not imply that money could not be made investing this way.  All games change and this would be a change I would not care to wait out.  I have always weighted LEGO ability to produce as the greatest risk to this game.  These of course are my own speculations and not offered up as fact.  Time will tell.  I am the prospective consumer on the 10179.  I would love to buy one right now and would be willing to pay quite a bit.  Should they remake it, then in no way will I pay for the old one.  I expect that demand would drop off quickly on that's set and price would have to follow. 

STAR WARS and City sets have remakes all the time.  That is because LEGO wants to reintroduce these popular sets to a new group of kids on an annual basis.  LEGO has worked this way for the past 15 years...at least.  If they remake the 10179, so what?  It's time, isn't it?  The new movies are coming out and the Falcon is in it.  It would be foolish not to reproduce the best LEGO set ever made.  This has zero bearing on any of the hundreds of other top sets that will never be reproduced.  

• Like 4