eBay.com Web Site Technical Questions and Answers

exciter1

Ebay 12/19/20 Update. I've bolded what I think is most important. One of the mods might want to pin this: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Seller-Protections-extended-for-shipping-delays-and-Northeast/ba-p/31444414

Further complicating carrier delays from record-breaking shipment volumes, a major winter storm has hit the Northeast and could impact some deliveries. We are continually monitoring carrier networks, shipping performance, and are also closely following the inclement weather paths. To those sellers who may be affected by severe weather, please stay safe.

We are extending estimated delivery dates and are adding additional time to receive an initial carrier scan for all sellers. This additional time for the first physical carrier scan will be applied to transactions from November 15th through the end of the year. Because the December standards evaluation period is this weekend, we will review and adjust your standards as needed retroactively to mid-November. 

A reminder of how you and your business are protected during this time:

eBay will acknowledge your products were shipped on time when any one of the following happens:

• Tracking shows a physical carrier scan any time within your stated handling time.  Effective November 15, this includes an additional 2 days  from the standard handling time window you’ve committed to in your listings to accommodate extended delays 
  • Buyer answers “Yes” to item arrived on-time when leaving feedback
  • Tracking shows a delivery scan within the latest delivery date for the shipping service selected  

Even in cases where a buyer may see a faster delivery estimate, your shipment will be considered on time if it arrives by the latest day for the shipping service. For example, if you use a standard shipping service with a 1-5 day delivery time plus your stated handling time of 2 days, the item needs to arrive within 7 working days. If your package is delivered any time during this period, we recognize that you shipped on-time.

We will automatically remove any defects, and associated negative or neutral feedback for “item not received” cases closed without seller resolution when: 

• Tracking was uploaded and has a physical scan from the carrier before the case was opened.
  • A delivery scan shows the item was delivered after the case was closed. 
  • In addition, these cases will not impact your service metrics rating.   

We continue to monitor and evaluate carrier transit time and delays and we’ll make adjustments where necessary.

56 minutes ago, stackables said:

From my experience, you would be surprised how many people will not pay for it when it arrives.  Something like this didn't happen to me but from a guy I bought some items from.  He sold comics to around 12 people and shipping was taking forever.  This is at the beginning of the pandemic.  He just went ahead and refunded everyone.  Fast forward to a month later and his packages started showing up.  He contacted me and I paid him back. He thanked me and said out of the 12 customers, only 2 paid him. 

Some won't, regardless of what you do. But if you make someone feel like they are a good person, it feels good for them - which often leads to them wanting to keep that feeling of being good (or even, just trying to avoid suddenly feeling like a cheating scumbag).

How are you guys handling USPS delays with frustrated buyers? I have a few open cases and the packages aren’t moving. I’ve had several buyers also message me directly. Most folks are being reasonable but I’m assuming their patience will run out if packages don’t start moving. I switched over to UPS and FedEx last week but that was too little, too late. I’m about to refund one buyer because it’s been like two weeks and it’s a low value item. Any specific strategies or tactics here when it comes to open cases?

12 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

How are you guys handling USPS delays with frustrated buyers? I have a few open cases and the packages aren’t moving. I’ve had several buyers also message me directly. Most folks are being reasonable but I’m assuming their patience will run out if packages don’t start moving. I switched over to UPS and FedEx last week but that was too little, too late. I’m about to refund one buyer because it’s been like two weeks and it’s a low value item. Any specific strategies or tactics here when it comes to open cases?

Queen and 10188 v2.gif

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

send fakes ... #BLEPIN

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

According to Ebay, if the package has not moved in 10 days and they file a claim, you will lose. I have one stuck in a postal facility about thirty miles from my house since Dec. 2. I just refunded their money and asked them to send it back if it shows up. Sucks.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

I'm just trying to directly and politely remind my buyers that there's a pandemic and it's near Christmas. Stuff will get where it needs to go, it just takes a little longer.

There is the occasional Karen who will insist on a refund no matter what, and also keep the item when it arrives. There's no avoiding these people.

58 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

File a lost/ missing package case with USPS and inform your buyer of all that you are doing to get their item to them. 

1 hour ago, Brystheguy said:

According to Ebay, if the package has not moved in 10 days and they file a claim, you will lose. I have one stuck in a postal facility about thirty miles from my house since Dec. 2. I just refunded their money and asked them to send it back if it shows up. Sucks.

Fantastic, I've got two that haven't moved since the 5th.  I assume if you refund, ask them to send it back with a prepaid label, and it shows up and they keep it, you're just SOL?

1 minute ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

Fantastic, I've got two that haven't moved since the 5th.  I assume if you refund, ask them to send it back with a prepaid label, and it shows up and they keep it, you're just SOL?

Yep! I asked them not to open it and write REFUSED - RETURN TO SENDER on the package. I could do a package intercept but that's a cost plus the cost of postage. 

If they do that, are you on the hook for return shipping before USPS will release the package to you?
I have no idea. I'll let you know if it ever shows up. There isn't a good process to get a package back in a situation like this that makes it really easy for the buyer. Even a prepaid label is a pain so hopeful this works. If not, then in the future I will do the package intercept depending on the price of the item.

1 hour ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

If they do that, are you on the hook for return shipping before USPS will release the package to you?

My understanding is as long as the package is not opened, refused packages are returned to you at no extra cost.  It will take a long while to get back since they use the slowest service to ship the packages back

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

So they ship it back USPS Priority through Detroit?

Ohio.  All of my problems are caused by multiple distribution centers in Ohio.  All of the packages are too much for their horse drawn carriages delivery system.  Even though last year they doubled their speed by using 2 horses per carriage.

• Like 1

Out of ten packages shipped since thanksgiving 4 are MIA. One I’ve refunded since the buyer opened a INR and no movement since 12/6 and three I’ve now opened missing packages claims with USPS. This is a nightmare and it’s not going to end on Xmas . . . The post holiday sales rush is going to continue.

26 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Out of ten packages shipped since thanksgiving 4 are MIA. One I’ve refunded since the buyer opened a INR and no movement since 12/6 and three I’ve now opened missing packages claims with USPS. This is a nightmare and it’s not going to end on Xmas . . . The post holiday sales rush is going to continue.

the claims are a waste right now, they just close them out cause they are still in transit and they know they are all backlogged.  The text updates works much better.  

Sadly I'm doing 50+ text updates every day for the last 2 weeks but **** is finally starting to move from 12/1 and earlier that was stuck 

Just now, Mark Twain said:

All of mine go through Memphis.

Memphis used to be real bad awhile back,  was the main hub out to the west so a lot funneled through there but hadn't been to bad last few years.  Atlanta has to be the worst which lucky for me all my mail goes through!   Been bouncing between Atlanta, Atlanta Peachtree and now using Stockbridge as overflow where they sit for a week before departing.  So if you see those 3 on any trackings expect a wait.

the 2 ton picks us up daily and drop off is North Metro hub and stuff from the previous days will still be sitting on the dock the next day when he drops off the new stuff.  

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

Atlanta hubs are a clusterfuck,  other bad ones Opa Locka down by Miami, Baltimore, Memphis, DC,  few in PA and OH like stated above.  Nice when they get stuck in Atlanta then another bad hub makes it like 2 weeks right there.

a bunch of processing plants are actually just blacked out right now (i.e. not even accepting packages), USPS hosted a big conference call with shippers the other day. across the US around 38% of USPS warehouse workers are AWOL. We are the second largest first class package shipper in our regional district and they pretty much just told us they were sorry and to pray lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JOEBRICK376 said:

a bunch of processing plants are actually just blacked out right now (i.e. not even accepting packages), USPS hosted a big conference call with shippers the other day. across the US around 38% of USPS warehouse workers are AWOL. We are the second largest first class package shipper in our regional district and they pretty much just told us they were sorry and to pray lol

Yep  . . . there's a terrifying interactive map of the closures. 

https://uspstools.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=1fc1c26bb31246b39087606c65b83020

Red = Closed

Yellow= Partially Opened

Purple = Flooded (WTF is going on?)

EDIT: This is for B&M locations not sorting/ processing centers. 

Edited by Mark Twain
  • Like 1

So I am not sure if this is the right place for this or not but it appears a package is coming back to me but USPS says there is “no such number” I contacted the buyer to let them know in case they wanted to scramble for a replacement (Slave I). The thing is all of the my map apps show the house and the the address is still in my notes app where I printed it from.  So I am not sure is USPS just dropped the ball on this or what.  I am inclined to wait until the package returns (if it does) and then just refund the buyer and relist the set later hopefully at enough profit to offset the shipping costs I am going to eat.  Just looking to vent since my wife is less than sympathetic to these kinds of complaints.