eBay.com Web Site Technical Questions and Answers

exciter1

Ebay 12/19/20 Update. I've bolded what I think is most important. One of the mods might want to pin this: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Seller-Protections-extended-for-shipping-delays-and-Northeast/ba-p/31444414

Further complicating carrier delays from record-breaking shipment volumes, a major winter storm has hit the Northeast and could impact some deliveries. We are continually monitoring carrier networks, shipping performance, and are also closely following the inclement weather paths. To those sellers who may be affected by severe weather, please stay safe.

We are extending estimated delivery dates and are adding additional time to receive an initial carrier scan for all sellers. This additional time for the first physical carrier scan will be applied to transactions from November 15th through the end of the year. Because the December standards evaluation period is this weekend, we will review and adjust your standards as needed retroactively to mid-November. 

A reminder of how you and your business are protected during this time:

eBay will acknowledge your products were shipped on time when any one of the following happens:

• Tracking shows a physical carrier scan any time within your stated handling time.  Effective November 15, this includes an additional 2 days  from the standard handling time window you’ve committed to in your listings to accommodate extended delays 
  • Buyer answers “Yes” to item arrived on-time when leaving feedback
  • Tracking shows a delivery scan within the latest delivery date for the shipping service selected  

Even in cases where a buyer may see a faster delivery estimate, your shipment will be considered on time if it arrives by the latest day for the shipping service. For example, if you use a standard shipping service with a 1-5 day delivery time plus your stated handling time of 2 days, the item needs to arrive within 7 working days. If your package is delivered any time during this period, we recognize that you shipped on-time.

We will automatically remove any defects, and associated negative or neutral feedback for “item not received” cases closed without seller resolution when: 

• Tracking was uploaded and has a physical scan from the carrier before the case was opened.
  • A delivery scan shows the item was delivered after the case was closed. 
  • In addition, these cases will not impact your service metrics rating.   

We continue to monitor and evaluate carrier transit time and delays and we’ll make adjustments where necessary.

• 1 year later...

This is very enlightening, because I'm fairly new at selling on eBay. I almost always use USPS Priority Mail. I usually also check shipping prices via the eBay comparison tool and almost always Priority Mail is cheapest than both Fedex and UPS. Fascinated that you all are saying that Fedex is cheapest. Are you shipping through Ebay or directly from Fedex? 

38 minutes ago, Brad W said:

This is very enlightening, because I'm fairly new at selling on eBay. I almost always use USPS Priority Mail. I usually also check shipping prices via the eBay comparison tool and almost always Priority Mail is cheapest than both Fedex and UPS. Fascinated that you all are saying that Fedex is cheapest. Are you shipping through Ebay or directly from Fedex? 

I find USPS to be the better option if it's small and light. For the bigger stuff,  no way USPS is cheaper.

44 minutes ago, Brad W said:

I purchased my label from multiple places, ebay, paypal, stamps, a private label provider, depending on the price. Never purchased a label from either usps or fedex store.

10 minutes ago, NIevo said:

Distance also makes a huge difference for me, not just size/weight.  Also, USPS seems to have really upped their extra charges for large dimensions where FedEx is fairly cheap.

Hmmm, ok. Thx for the info. I will have to look at it a bit closer the next time I sell something. 

16 minutes ago, Brystheguy said:

I find USPS to be the better option if it's small and light. For the bigger stuff,  no way USPS is cheaper.

It depends where you are shipping to, also. There are so many variables (locations, sizes, weights) that making a statement for your location may not apply to all locations or situations.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Just FYI, Fedex Ground rates are now lower on eBay, even lower than SmartPost and USPS for me.  Of course they still do the bill at the end of the month thing on eBay so it will be a bit different than USPS.

You east/west coasters may want to check this out when shipping coast to coast

I've used Fedex through eBay for 90% of my large items for a while.  Even before this they were usually cheaper but now it's pretty significant.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

eBay started charging taxes few months ago. The tax is collected by eBay as I already knew. I only just realized that PayPal actually include the tax amount into their fees calculation. So this is another sneaky way for eBay/PayPal to charge us more money.

15 minutes ago, locidm said:

eBay started charging taxes few months ago. The tax is collected by eBay as I already knew. I only just realized that PayPal actually include the tax amount into their fees calculation. So this is another sneaky way for eBay/PayPal to charge us more money.

Yes, the payment+tax go to your account first and then eBay extract the tax from that total.  Paypal calculate their the fees based on that new total. 

Plus, if you initiate refund, Paypal gets to keep all those (inflated) fees :drag:

40 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

how much do folks typically wait for payment on EBay?

Currently waiting Day 5 days on a $350 (Buy-it-now) set.  I already sent an invoice and a reminder message to pay asap or contact me. Got no response.

1. Always do immediate payment required, especially on expensive set

2. I set the automatic case opening to the minimum days (4 IIRC, its been a while). My account automatically opens nonpaying bidder case with eBay when that limit is passed.  Then I would need to wait 3 more days for the buyer to respond.  So 7 days (at least) to get my fees back + clear the item for relisting.  Thus point #1

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Question, I received payment for a sold item on eBay, moments later, buyer messaged requesting to cancel claiming account is hacked. I canceled the order per the request. Do I need to do the refund through Paypal, or does eBay do that automatically? Quick answer is appreciated.

18 minutes ago, locidm said:

Question, I received payment for a sold item on eBay, moments later, buyer messaged requesting to cancel claiming account is hacked. I canceled the order per the request. Do I need to do the refund through Paypal, or does eBay do that automatically? Quick answer is appreciated.

paypal fee may not be refundable, meaning you lost it

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

Ebay will refund it automatically

The reason I ask is because my Paypal account is still showing the funds from the transaction and still giving me option to refund the payment. I supposed it could take time to show up on Paypal? 

4 hours ago, locidm said:

Does anybody know how long before Paypal draws fund from my Paypal to issue the refund? My Paypal is still showing the full payment amount from when the buyer purchased it, and would allow me to refund. Ebay has already credited my account with the final value fee, but I'm not seeing any evidence that a refund to the buyer has been issued. 

I should add that me as the seller initiated the cancellation, and the buyer has accepted the cancellation. Is the refund still automatic under this circumstance?

Edited by locidm

10 hours ago, locidm said:

Does anybody know how long before Paypal draws fund from my Paypal to issue the refund? My Paypal is still showing the full payment amount from when the buyer purchased it, and would allow me to refund. Ebay has already credited my account with the final value fee, but I'm not seeing any evidence that a refund to the buyer has been issued. 

I should add that me as the seller initiated the cancellation, and the buyer has accepted the cancellation. Is the refund still automatic under this circumstance?

Automatic unless you do not have enough funds in your Paypal account to cover the original purchase price+tax.  Since Paypal keep their fees on refunds, those need come out of your pocket.  Although in this case eBay will send you a message saying there is a problem with your refund

33 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Automatic unless you do not have enough funds in your Paypal account to cover the original purchase price+tax.  Since Paypal keep their fees on refunds, those need come out of your pocket.  Although in this case eBay will send you a message saying there is a problem with your refund

my situation was I needed to issue a partial refund given the package arrive dented (sets still "good" but you know how that goes)...don;t want to bother trying the USPS route who is to blame.

Anyway, I was able to refund $10 to the buyer thru Paypal (something like $9.50 Me and 0.50 Paypal).  I am pretty sure Ebay kept all their fees, but I would like to know a better way in case a future partial return is more costly.

• 3 months later...

Is there a way to put my eBay listings on hold? 

I'm going on vacation soon and currently have about 11 listings up (not a whole lot). Is there a simple way to put them on hold or freeze them until I get back? I don't have an eBay store, so no vacation option is available to me. I'm small time and just trying to find a simple way to do this other than ending all my listings early and relisting them when I'm back. 

51 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

Is there a way to put my eBay listings on hold? 

I'm going on vacation soon and currently have about 11 listings up (not a whole lot). Is there a simple way to put them on hold or freeze them until I get back? I don't have an eBay store, so no vacation option is available to me. I'm small time and just trying to find a simple way to do this other than ending all my listings early and relisting them when I'm back. 

8 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

End and relist is your best option. 11 re-lists shouldn’t take you more than 15 minutes.

Alternatively, increase your handling time. I've done this a number of times. Works for 1-2 week vacations, not longer though.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Alternatively, increase your handling time. I've done this a number of times. Works for 1-2 week vacations, not longer though.

Thanks for the tip. I would imagine increasing the handling time might be a potential headache when dealing with buyers who don't read the entire listing details. 

• 1 month later...

I received this today, as I’m sure most of you did. 

As a managed payments seller, in the current process, if you receive a return request, you are required to accept and approve the return request from a buyer. You are responsible for initiating the refund. 

Beginning September 14th 2020, in most cases where an eBay return shipping label is available to the buyer, eBay will automatically accept return requests and provide the return shipping label. Your approval and acceptance will not be required. 

Once the returned item is received by you from the buyer, you will have two business days to review the returned item and issue a refund, or ask eBay to intervene. If no action is taken, eBay will automatically issue the refund two business days after the tracking number shows a confirmed delivery status. At that time, we will close the return with no impact to seller performance. 

In cases where the buyer has a remorse return outside of your specified return window, or a returned item arrives damaged or missing parts or pieces, eBay will not automatically accept the return request and you will have the opportunity to review and approve the return and handle the issue directly with the buyer. 

eBay is automating this process so that all eBay sellers share one returns experience on the marketplace, to save sellers time, and deliver a streamlined returns experience for buyers by providing them immediate access to return labels (if available) and faster refunds. Learn more about this important change here.