eBay.com Web Site Technical Questions and Answers

exciter1

Ebay 12/19/20 Update. I've bolded what I think is most important. One of the mods might want to pin this: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Seller-Protections-extended-for-shipping-delays-and-Northeast/ba-p/31444414

Further complicating carrier delays from record-breaking shipment volumes, a major winter storm has hit the Northeast and could impact some deliveries. We are continually monitoring carrier networks, shipping performance, and are also closely following the inclement weather paths. To those sellers who may be affected by severe weather, please stay safe.

We are extending estimated delivery dates and are adding additional time to receive an initial carrier scan for all sellers. This additional time for the first physical carrier scan will be applied to transactions from November 15th through the end of the year. Because the December standards evaluation period is this weekend, we will review and adjust your standards as needed retroactively to mid-November. 

A reminder of how you and your business are protected during this time:

eBay will acknowledge your products were shipped on time when any one of the following happens:

• Tracking shows a physical carrier scan any time within your stated handling time.  Effective November 15, this includes an additional 2 days  from the standard handling time window you’ve committed to in your listings to accommodate extended delays 
  • Buyer answers “Yes” to item arrived on-time when leaving feedback
  • Tracking shows a delivery scan within the latest delivery date for the shipping service selected  

Even in cases where a buyer may see a faster delivery estimate, your shipment will be considered on time if it arrives by the latest day for the shipping service. For example, if you use a standard shipping service with a 1-5 day delivery time plus your stated handling time of 2 days, the item needs to arrive within 7 working days. If your package is delivered any time during this period, we recognize that you shipped on-time.

We will automatically remove any defects, and associated negative or neutral feedback for “item not received” cases closed without seller resolution when: 

• Tracking was uploaded and has a physical scan from the carrier before the case was opened.
  • A delivery scan shows the item was delivered after the case was closed. 
  • In addition, these cases will not impact your service metrics rating.   

We continue to monitor and evaluate carrier transit time and delays and we’ll make adjustments where necessary.

• 3 months later...

eBay is extending seller protection for delayed carrier shipments until 9/30. They will likely extend this past that datehttps://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Protecting-seller-performance-during-carrier-delays-extended/ba-p/31182603

As we continue to monitor and evaluate the environment we are in, it’s important for us to remain flexible as it pertains to protecting our sellers. We are still seeing some delays in deliveries.  Because the pandemic continues to impact carriers, we are reinstating seller protections specifically related to carrier delays:  

1. We are removing Late Shipments due to carrier delays – you will be protected from late shipments.
  2. If you provide valid tracking and the shipping carrier is experiencing delays, we will credit you with on-time tracking upload so that there is no negative impact on your ability to qualify as a Top Rated Seller.

We are extending these previously announced protections through Sept. 30th.  

With our continued commitment to providing the most accurate delivery dates to your buyers, we have extended estimated delivery dates across the US where we have indications that packages may be delivered late.   

We continue to ask that you meet your handling times, do your part to ship as quickly as possible, work with your buyers when an issue arises, and keep your inventory up to date.  

We continue to monitor the shipping landscape daily, and we appreciate your partnership and feedback. 

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

Also posted on 8/11"How We're Responding to USPS Delays": https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/How-we-re-responding-to-USPS-delays/ba-p/31134359

“Item not received” cases

If a buyer opens an “item not received” case, and you provided valid tracking and shipped the item within your promised handling time, we will wait to evaluate the case until after the extended estimated delivery date.

1. We will recognize that you uploaded valid tracking and met your handling time commitment, and you can still qualify as a Top Rated Seller.
  2. If the item shows up late because of a carrier delay, we will remove the shipping defect for late shipment.
  3. If the item is delivered after the extended estimated delivery date, we will remove shipping-related negative or neutral feedback on your behalf.

I apologize if this was asked in another forum but I did a quick search and didn't see anything. When does eBay release funds to your bank account with their new managed payments system? I just had my first sale since they switched from using PayPal. I sold a Heartlake Hospital for $255 shipped this past Sunday. The post office was closed on Monday due to Labor Day, so I shipped and uploaded tracking Tuesday afternoon. Nothing has posted to my bank account yet, and I don't see any record of any pending payment in my seller hub. It makes me a little nervous shipping a $250 set without physically being paid for it. Just curious how this new system works. 

4 hours ago, terrymc4677 said:

I apologize if this was asked in another forum but I did a quick search and didn't see anything. When does eBay release funds to your bank account with their new managed payments system? I just had my first sale since they switched from using PayPal. I sold a Heartlake Hospital for $255 shipped this past Sunday. The post office was closed on Monday due to Labor Day, so I shipped and uploaded tracking Tuesday afternoon. Nothing has posted to my bank account yet, and I don't see any record of any pending payment in my seller hub. It makes me a little nervous shipping a $250 set without physically being paid for it. Just curious how this new system works. 

Usually a day or two after the payment.  Check the Payments tab on the Sellers Hub page.

I honestly hate this setup.  I know they want to process the payments, but I'm unsure what prevents them from depositing the money in a Paypal account as opposed to a bank account.  They have no problem taking payment from a Paypal account and it was easier for me to use the same money I was getting paid with to purchase shipping labels.  I don't find this more convenient for myself.

Ultimately I'm annoyed that I can't keep my Paypal account funded directly with my sales.

44 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

This was annoying until I realized you can pay for labels with pending funds.

Thanks for mentioning this, I was unaware.  I had to look around for a bit, but found this on the page where you print the actual shipping label.  Do you have to select that option each time or does it stay selected?

Update with clarification about selling protections extended until 9/30. 

As a follow up to our recent announcement about extending Seller Protections through September we want to clarify what protections are in place:

1. We are removing Late Shipments due to carrier delays – you will be protected from late shipments.
  2. If you provide valid tracking and the shipping carrier is experiencing delays, we will credit you with on-time tracking upload so that there is no negative impact on your ability to qualify as a Top Rated Seller.
  3. Cases closed without seller resolution defects related to items not received when valid tracking is uploaded.
  4. Item not received Service Metrics will be removed when you upload valid tracking for your shipment.
  5. Negative or Neutral feedback related to item not received claim and late shipment will be removed

These protections are extended through September 30th.  

We continue to ask that you meet your handling times, do your part to ship as quickly as possible, work with your buyers when an issue arises, and keep your inventory up to date.  

We continue to monitor the shipping landscape daily, and we appreciate your partnership and feedback. 

As always, thank you for selling on eBay. 

Yeah, I read it was being added in like FedEx in the seller update shared a few days ago. Along with a note about signature on delivery (which we all know is basically not happening right now) but they are saying for "order totals" over $750 you should include that or risk an auto default on buyer protection or something. I couldn't parse whether it was like, your $50 thing got bought along with someone else's $700 thing so now you're on the hook but don't know it.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

Once you move over to managed payments, eBay's new fee structure charges for the total sale amount (e.g. product+shipping+sales tax). It's gross that they're new fees include making money off of sales tax and it come out of the seller's pocket. 

So on average .77 more per $100 sale.  That stinks.

I have been playing around with the seller tools on Ebay and see they have made some improvements in how you finally get a list of the items you sold and the fees that were deducted from each sale and how much you receive net from the sale. All I get is a list with all of the items (most of them. Some have no titles and only items numbers so almost useless) though and no sale dates. Is there a way to get this same functionality but have it listed by sale date? That would be much more helpful. Thanks.

8 hours ago, Brystheguy said:

I have been playing around with the seller tools on Ebay and see they have made some improvements in how you finally get a list of the items you sold and the fees that were deducted from each sale and how much you receive net from the sale. All I get is a list with all of the items (most of them. Some have no titles and only items numbers so almost useless) though and no sale dates. Is there a way to get this same functionality but have it listed by sale date? That would be much more helpful. Thanks.

Go to "Payments" tab, and on the left side click "Reports".  You should be able to download transaction report as csv file for a specific range of time.  The report has detailed breakdown of fees for each transaction.  Although it does not have Item Name, just Item ID

Everyone should send Comments to eBay asking them to add Item Name to these reports.  Use the "Comments" link on the upper right of the page.  They should be able to add Item Name very easily to the reports and if everyone send them a message they might do it quickly too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2020 at 4:12 AM, terrymc4677 said:

Thanks for asking this question, I had the same situation. it was a sketchy (1) feedback sale and I didn't want to ship while payment was processing. This morning it showed as complete along with a pending transfer. It looks like you can set up the frequency of the account transfer. Very frustrating that I can't keep all eBay sales and purchases flowing through my Paypal account. 

• 2 months later...
46 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I haven't switched yet, dragging my feet.

I'm a late adopter as well.  In fact I've been trying to sell as fast as possible to maximize my cash inflow before potentially having to deal with this change.  Life always changes but I like consistency!

18 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

I'm a late adopter as well.  In fact I've been trying to sell as fast as possible to maximize my cash inflow before potentially having to deal with this change.  Life always changes but I like consistency!

From a seller perspective, I've noticed no difference except that the money goes into my bank account right away. Why is everyone so afraid of this?  

On 9/28/2020 at 8:10 PM, Mark Twain said:

Once you move over to managed payments, eBay's new fee structure charges for the total sale amount (e.g. product+shipping+sales tax). It's gross that they're new fees include making money off of sales tax and it come out of the seller's pocket. 

Yes this is the case, they are making money off of sales tax just like PayPal did. Even with the lower overall fee of 0.30 + 12.35%  vs 0.30 + 12.9% (old), you may end up paying more IF their is tax charged to your buyer. This also ruins bookkeeping and negotiations because you won't know exactly what your numbers will be until the buyer pays. For example I sold a 31313 Mindstorms and lost $5 profit via MP as compared to the calculation with PayPal. Basically you're being charged 12.35% of the tax from eBay MP vs 2.9% of the tax with PP. 

Went back and forth with an eBay rep for 15 minutes on this and he still insisted that MP is better for me in all scenarios and always nets me more profit. It also looks like there is no way out, so stay away from MP while you can. I don't like how eBay has a "hold" on your bank account for the return/dispute period should the buyer decide to file a claim. 

lol, I had no idea what you guys were talking about, so I had to research it. As long as the fees stay below the threshold they are now, I'm ok with it. For those worried about using your bank account, I think I may open up another account specifically for eBay stuff to serve as my PP bank. But, I still have to process this new information.