eBay.com Web Site Technical Questions and Answers

exciter1

Ebay 12/19/20 Update. I've bolded what I think is most important. One of the mods might want to pin this: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Seller-Protections-extended-for-shipping-delays-and-Northeast/ba-p/31444414

Further complicating carrier delays from record-breaking shipment volumes, a major winter storm has hit the Northeast and could impact some deliveries. We are continually monitoring carrier networks, shipping performance, and are also closely following the inclement weather paths. To those sellers who may be affected by severe weather, please stay safe.

We are extending estimated delivery dates and are adding additional time to receive an initial carrier scan for all sellers. This additional time for the first physical carrier scan will be applied to transactions from November 15th through the end of the year. Because the December standards evaluation period is this weekend, we will review and adjust your standards as needed retroactively to mid-November. 

A reminder of how you and your business are protected during this time:

eBay will acknowledge your products were shipped on time when any one of the following happens:

• Tracking shows a physical carrier scan any time within your stated handling time.  Effective November 15, this includes an additional 2 days  from the standard handling time window you’ve committed to in your listings to accommodate extended delays 
  • Buyer answers “Yes” to item arrived on-time when leaving feedback
  • Tracking shows a delivery scan within the latest delivery date for the shipping service selected  

Even in cases where a buyer may see a faster delivery estimate, your shipment will be considered on time if it arrives by the latest day for the shipping service. For example, if you use a standard shipping service with a 1-5 day delivery time plus your stated handling time of 2 days, the item needs to arrive within 7 working days. If your package is delivered any time during this period, we recognize that you shipped on-time.

We will automatically remove any defects, and associated negative or neutral feedback for “item not received” cases closed without seller resolution when: 

• Tracking was uploaded and has a physical scan from the carrier before the case was opened.
  • A delivery scan shows the item was delivered after the case was closed. 
  • In addition, these cases will not impact your service metrics rating.   

We continue to monitor and evaluate carrier transit time and delays and we’ll make adjustments where necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Fcbarcelona101 said:

For those of you that have continued using USPS (or have restarted), have you seen any changes over the last couple of days in regards to delivery delays? Wondering when it may be ok to start shipping 1st Class and Priority again (I realize it has only been a couple of days and the backlog is huge, so it will probably take a while for it to go back to "normal")

I started shipping again via USPS on the 23rd and so far things seem to be moving.

Edit to add that I am in Texas and my biggest issue was items leaving the state and that part seems to be moving better.

Edited by zaphoid
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Fcbarcelona101 said:

For those of you that have continued using USPS (or have restarted), have you seen any changes over the last couple of days in regards to delivery delays? Wondering when it may be ok to start shipping 1st Class and Priority again (I realize it has only been a couple of days and the backlog is huge, so it will probably take a while for it to go back to "normal")

As always pick your battle.  At this point, I'd avoid USPS for anything in/out of OH

On 12/29/2020 at 9:20 AM, zaphoid said:

I started shipping again via USPS on the 23rd and so far things seem to be moving.

Edit to add that I am in Texas and my biggest issue was items leaving the state and that part seems to be moving better.

I take back everything I've said.  I've got a bunch of stuff shipped on the 30th and 31st that seems to be not moving again.

3 minutes ago, zaphoid said:

I take back everything I've said.  I've got a bunch of stuff shipped on the 30th and 31st that seems to be not moving again.

Same here.  My packages that were scanned in and dropped off in the last week have been slowing to a crawl again.

Shipping rates going up on all but UPS: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/2021-Shipping-Carrier-Rate-Changes/ba-p/31500477

FedEx

Effective January 4, 2021:

• Rates for FedEx Ground, FedEx 2Day®, FedEx Home Delivery®, and FedEx SmartPost® services will increase approximately 4.9%. Learn more.  
  • Shipping surcharges and fees changes may apply to your shipment and affect your total shipping rate.

USPS

Effective January 24, 2021, rates for the following USPS shipping services will increase:

• Priority Mail—approximately 3.5% increase
  • Priority Mail Express—1.2% increase
  • First Class Package—6.5% increase
  • Parcel Select—4.9% increase

International shipping products

Both USPS and eBay International Standard Delivery are changing country groups in 2021 and revised rates will be effective for both on January 24. Details below:

eBay international standard Delivery

• Rates will increase an average of 1.7%.

USPS

• Priority Mail International—approximately 5.1% increase.  There will be 20 price groups, instead of 13. 
  • First Class Package International Service—approximately 4.8% increase. There will be 20 price groups, instead of 9. 
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zaphoid said:

Do any of you offer free returns on your items?  

I'm wondering if those that do see a more returns then those of us that state the buyer has to pay for returns.

I'm a small-timer (less than $17K in revenue from Ebay last year) and I have free returns on most of my listings (which I think is part of what's necessary to get the Top-Rated Seller discount on fees). I've never had a return. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

I'm a small-timer (less than $17K in revenue from Ebay last year) and I have free returns on most of my listings (which I think is part of what's necessary to get the Top-Rated Seller discount on fees). I've never had a return. 

I've been wondering about this and appreciate your insight. I basically chose to not offer free returns and forgo the discount, when the hammer came down for that. May give this a try.

21 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

I appreciate it, I think I'll make the switch now, I paid about $100 more in fees in December by not having free returns.

20 minutes ago, zaphoid said:

I appreciate it, I think I'll make the switch now, I paid about $100 more in fees in December by not having free returns.

As I said, I have done it on most listings (99%). The ones I haven't offered it on are 1) sets I was worried might come back into stock (should have just been listing them on Facebook/Mercari/Craigslist)  or 2) items that are ridiculously expensive to ship (like my last Sphero Hero BB-8). I've done this for the last two years and had hundreds of sales during that time without an issue. Of course, that doesn't mean one jerk won't make me spend $18 on shipping and that cancels out a bunch of my savings. 

55 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

Same here.  I offer free returns with very few exceptions because eBay is going to make me accept the return if something is wrong anyways.  I'm not flipping hardly anything that would concern me about a buyer finding it cheaper within 30 days.  Over the years my eBay returns have been below 1%.  Amazon on the other hand...

Here is one for the group I need advice on:

Item was purchased on 11/29 and delivered on 12/12.  Box snob requested a return and shipped the set back on 12/16.

Tracking hasn't updated since 12/16 (departed PO and arrived at first USPS facility - so two scans). No scans since.

They messaged me about it asking for a refund and I told them I haven't received it yet and that I need to confirm the contents first (USPS delays, covid, blah blah blah).

On 1/6 I received what appears to be an automated email from eBay: " XXXX indicated that they posted their return. The item should now be delivered and once you've received it, please issue the buyer with a refund by Jan 06, 2021."

Still no USPS scans despite requests for tracking updates.

Would you hold the line and wait for it to arrive?  Any other course of action I should consider?

It was an $82 order.

18 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Item was purchased on 11/29 and delivered on 12/12.  Box snob requested a return and shipped the set back on 12/16.

Tracking hasn't updated since 12/16 (departed PO and arrived at first USPS facility - so two scans). No scans since.

They messaged me about it asking for a refund and I told them I haven't received it yet and that I need to confirm the contents first (USPS delays, covid, blah blah blah).

On 1/6 I received what appears to be an automated email from eBay: " XXXX indicated that they posted their return. The item should now be delivered and once you've received it, please issue the buyer with a refund by Jan 06, 2021."

Would you hold the line and wait for it to arrive?  Any other course of action I should consider?

It was an $82 order.

I would hold the line. Not worth calling ebay.

• Like 1

I'm sure this is a scam but need advice not opinions. I have a non-unique situation that the answer may help others:

Buyer request refund. (I don't accept refunds)

Buyer attaches blurry picture of a different item and says they received the wrong item.

I know for a fact that I did not send that item.

Ebay gives me these options:

293328106_ebayrefund.JPG.8752c79e96bbe430d98c89c4eeaa410a.JPG

Costs difference is a $20 item vs a $90 sale. 

I have perfect feedback (+400)and buyer has less than 10. 

How do I proceed?

I'm sure this is a scam but need advice not opinions. I have a non-unique situation that the answer may help others:
Buyer request refund. (I don't accept refunds)
Buyer attaches blurry picture of a different item and says they received the wrong item.
I know for a fact that I did not send that item.
Ebay gives me these options:
http://bp-forum.s3.amazonaws.com/monthly_2021_01/293328106_ebayrefund.JPG.8752c79e96bbe430d98c89c4eeaa410a.JPG
Costs difference is a $20 item vs a $90 sale. 
I have perfect feedback (+400)and buyer has less than 10. 

How do I proceed?
I would try to find out the weight of the item that they claim you sent them and the shipping weight of the package that you actually sent them. Not sure if USPS keeps actual weight of package data or not. But if they do and you are able to obtain proof of that weight and proof of the weight of the item they are claiming you sent, then you may be able to contact Ebay and show them this evidence. But even that may not be enough for Ebay to side with you.

On 1/8/2021 at 2:17 PM, BrickLegacy said:

It was an $82 order.

Well like clockwork two things happened last night:

1 - tracking updated (just a few miles from me)

2 - they escalated to ebay customer service

I expect the returned item to arrive on Monday. It says the case will be on hold for 10 days to wait for documentation.

I guess now I just wait for eBay to issue them the refund on my behalf? 

8 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Well like clockwork two things happened last night:

1 - tracking updated (just a few miles from me)

2 - they escalated to ebay customer service

I expect the returned item to arrive on Monday. It says the case will be on hold for 10 days to wait for documentation.

I guess now I just wait for eBay to issue them the refund on my behalf? 

You can just refund when you receive the item and forget about the whole thing.  Waiting for eBay will take 10 more days, at least

6 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Sounds like another eBay managed payments payout glitch today:

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/comments/2021/1/1610461705.html

Check your latest payout status. Mine says "Declined Waiting for retry"

Seeing the same.

While I was waiting for USPS to deliver some packages, a couple buyers opened claims for INR.  eBay placed funds on hold that they already had paid out.  When the cases were resolved and the funds were released they were gracious enough to send me payments for $0.00.  They've still got some kinks to work out.