Shop at Home Store Calendar and offers - October 2014

pickleboy

So far so good with my experiment. Here is what I've ordered so far. Each order has come with the free elves workshop promo set, in addition to the free hot dog cart with the fairground mixers and free poster with tower of orthanc, as well as the double VIP points. Every order has gone straight to processing and then shipped status (no customer service status). The pet shops went to back ordered status at first but have since shipped.

10/1 Santa workshop / ecto 1

10/2 pet shop

10/3 palace cinema

10/4 fairground mixer

10/5 Mini Cooper

10/6 tower of orthanc

10/7 Santa workshop / ecto 1

10/8 pet shop

10/9 palace cinema

10/10 fairground mixer

10/11 Mini Cooper

10/12 tower of orthanc

10/13 Santa workshop / ecto 1

10/14 pet shop

I plan on continuing the same rotation through the rest of the month, except I will swap out the fairground mixer and tower of orthanc with camper vans, arkhams, and R2D2. I only wanted two mixers and orthancs. Total promos earned so far = 14 elves workshops, 2 hot dog carts, 2 lotr posters, and $170 worth of VIP points. Once November hits I will spend the points on ewok villages to get those at a reduced price.

Well, today is the last day of double VIP. Here is how I finished the month...

10/15 palace cinema

10/16 vw camper van

10/17 Mini Cooper

10/18 r2d2

10/19 santas workshop / ecto 1

10/20 pet shop

10/21 Parisian restaurant

10/22 arkham asylum

10/23 Mini Cooper

10/24 ewok village

10/25 maersk triple e

10/26 pet shop

10/27 vw camper van

10/28 maersk triple e

10/29 r2d2

10/30 vw camper van

10/31 ewok village

Total promos earned were 30 elves workshops (my last order on 10/31 didn't get one), 2 hot dog carts, 2 lotr posters, 1 creator thanksgiving turkey, and $415 in VIP points. I used the points on the two ewok villages to bring their cost down to just under $45 each.

Throughout the entire month not a single order was sent to customer service, and everything was shipped amazingly fast, with the exception of the pet shops which were back ordered at first but have all since been received. If anyone hasn't tried ths method, it may be the way to go in order to take full advantage of double points and promos while accumulating exclusives under the radar. Keep in mind that I don't have access to a brick and mortar lego store. The closest one near me is 90 miles away.

Edited by terrymc4677
  • Like 4

I never considered exceeding the purchase limits over the lifetime of my purchase history. For example, I've only purchased 3 GEs from Shop at Home (one at a time). Maybe that's being too conservative.

Possibly, but who knows? The method in which they ban people is one of the many mysteries unknown to man. I only ordered one set per order, and never the same set two days in a row to avoid raising any red flags. If they were ever to pull my entire purchase history it should be pretty obvious that I would fit their "reseller profile", whatever that may be. They have limits set on their site for certain sets, but I wonder if they actually track it since I exceeded those limits on a few. Maybe they only care if you try to exceed the limit in a single order. Again, who knows?

Edited by terrymc4677

Well, today is the last day of double VIP. Here is how I finished the month...

10/15 palace cinema

10/16 vw camper van

10/17 Mini Cooper

10/18 r2d2

10/19 santas workshop / ecto 1

10/20 pet shop

10/21 Parisian restaurant

10/22 arkham asylum

10/23 Mini Cooper

10/24 ewok village

10/25 maersk triple e

10/26 pet shop

10/27 vw camper van

10/28 maersk triple e

10/29 r2d2

10/30 vw camper van

10/31 ewok village

Total promos earned were 30 elves workshops (my last order on 10/31 didn't get one), 2 hot dog carts, 2 lotr posters, 1 creator thanksgiving turkey, and $415 in VIP points. I used the points on the two ewok villages to bring their cost down to just under $45 each.

Throughout the entire month not a single order was sent to customer service, and everything was shipped amazingly fast, with the exception of the pet shops which were back ordered at first but have all since been received. If anyone hasn't tried ths method, it may be the way to go in order to take full advantage of double points and promos while accumulating exclusives under the radar. Keep in mind that I don't have access to a brick and mortar lego store. The closest one near me is 90 miles away.

Wow. Lots of exclusives! Lots of money! More power to you!

USING accumulated VIP Points DURING double VIP periods is not the best idea. Using them while you only get 1x VIP points for your orders makes much more sense.

I realize that and agree with you, but I used them for two reasons...

1. I wanted the additional promo set which would not be available after double VIP was over.

2. I wanted to use the accumulated points as soon as possible just in case they did flag and block me. I didn't want to risk losing them.

• Like 2

USING accumulated VIP Points DURING double VIP periods is not the best idea. Using them while you only get 1x VIP points for your orders makes much more sense.

What's the logic behind this? My understanding was the same VIP points are earned regardless of if any VIP points were redeemed in that transaction?

What's the logic behind this? My understanding was the same VIP points are earned regardless of if any VIP points were redeemed in that transaction?

As far as I know you only get VIP points for the MONEY you spend, not for the accumulated points you use. Meaning if you buy items for $100 and you "pay" all of that with your existing points, then you get 0 points back. So it's better to earn in 2xVIP periods and spend in 1xVIP periods.

• Like 1

I realize that and agree with you, but I used them for two reasons...

1. I wanted the additional promo set which would not be available after double VIP was over.

2. I wanted to use the accumulated points as soon as possible just in case they did flag and block me. I didn't want to risk losing them.

Exactly you don't want to be out the points or you're not getting any discount to begin with. During october i would just build up to 150-200 and use them on a seperate transaction. That way i wasn't losing any double points as i wasnt spending anything to begin with and still got the free promo. Got 2 ToO 1 AA 1 TH 1 Tumbler for free during the month. I had bought a lot of damage box so the double points and 500-1000 bonus points added up quick. Theres no point to build them up to high and risk potentially losing them.

• Like 1

Exactly you don't want to be out the points or you're not getting any discount to begin with. During october i would just build up to 150-200 and use them on a seperate transaction. That way i wasn't losing any double points as i wasnt spending anything to begin with and still got the free promo. Got 2 ToO 1 AA 1 TH 1 Tumbler for free during the month. I had bought a lot of damage box so the double points and 500-1000 bonus points added up quick. Theres no point to build them up to high and risk potentially losing them.

Everytime you spend VIP points you lose the VIP points you would have gotten had you paid with money instead of points. This is an imminent characteristic of the VIP points system and of course cannot be avoided. But nonetheless, spending points during 2x VIP periods instead of money means doubling your VIP points loss. Doesn't matter if you say "the whole transaction was free because of points use, so I didn't lose anything" - you DID lose points x2 any way you put it.

Everytime you spend VIP points you lose the VIP points you would have gotten had you paid with money instead of points. This is an imminent characteristic of the VIP points system and of course cannot be avoided. But nonetheless, spending points during 2x VIP periods instead of money means doubling your VIP points loss. Doesn't matter if you say "the whole transaction was free because of points use, so I didn't lose anything" - you DID lose points x2 any way you put it.

But if you weren't going to make that purchase UNLESS it was with points only because you've hit your spending limit, then it's moot. I did the same thing.

The choice wasn't whether I was going to pay with money or points for a set after I was done with all the spending it took to accumulate the points, the choice was whether to make another transaction with points only, or to not make another transaction at all. It's an easy choice then.

• Like 1

If I go in planning on not spending a dime it doesn't matter as I wouldn't of made the purchase to begin with.  I'm just clearing out points.

You could say that of single points as well.  You don't get the points then either when redeeming your points.  So under that logic you would never use your points at all in fear of not gaining points.   I made a personal choice to clear out every $150 to $200.  So yes I'm not earning double points on that free purchase but I wouldn't of made that purchase to begin with.  I didn't lose any double points as I wasn't buying anything more that day.  Just cashing out so I "realize" my discount in the first place.  I much rather get my $150 cashed out than possibly lose it all.  

If I go in planning on not spending a dime it doesn't matter as I wouldn't of made the purchase to begin with. I'm just clearing out points.

You could say that of single points as well. You don't get the points then either when redeeming your points. So under that logic you would never use your points at all in fear of not gaining points. I made a personal choice to clear out every $150 to $200. So yes I'm not earning double points on that free purchase but I wouldn't of made that purchase to begin with. I didn't lose any double points as I wasn't buying anything more that day. Just cashing out so I "realize" my discount in the first place. I much rather get my $150 cashed out than possibly lose it all.

Good point:

My 0.02 if you are going to pay with mix points and $$ then I would say it might be worth to hold onto points and pay the whole by $$ so that one can accumulate 2x .

Beside that paying full for a set by points don't make a difference whether it's 1x or 2x.

Yes one gave up opportunity to earn 2X but used points and kept the cash. $$ in hand worth 2x points :)

• Like 1

Have you had any problems with your order status?

I've been stuck at "Please check later" for almost a week.

click on the order and see. if they have shipped then there will be tracking information.. @ least that's what's shows up for me :).

although it says "please check later" looks like they have shipped my orders.

my assumption is that they are changing their software/backend-infra-technology for their inventory system which must be why status is not what it used to be and/or its not proceeding like before....

click on the order and see. if they have shipped then there will be tracking information.. @ least that's what's shows up for me :).

although it says "please check later" looks like they have shipped my orders.

my assumption is that they are changing their software/backend-infra-technology for their inventory system which must be why status is not what it used to be and/or its not proceeding like before....

Thanks, I've been periodically checking but a lot of my orders are back order (TH, Santa Workshop, Tumbler). 

More concerned to see if they cancelled my Elf Toy Workshops

Beside that paying full for a set by points don't make a difference whether it's 1x or 2x.

No, it does of course make a difference. Otherwise it would also make no difference at what time you buy a set for money - meaning that 2x VIP months are meaningless, which is not the case asl we all know. The difference is in what you give up by paying with points. You give up more in a 2x points period. Hence my advice to spend points in 1x VIP months, not in double points months.