79018 - The Lonely Mountain

I'm also sure that Amazon and TRU has a load of these to get rid of as well, and we all know how well TRU can keep a set on life support. I still see some green box Star Wars and LOTR trilogy sets at most of the stores that I visit. Amazon also has to sell out of their stock, which means some of the normals out there will have to be willing to shell out full retail price for this set. Amazon's new directive is to not lower their prices unless a competitor blinks first, They have miles and miles of warehouse space to accommodate this.

I'm not saying that there's no hope. This set can reach $200 with some luck in a couple of years. Anything above that is highly unlikely. With that, I'll leave this discussion. Thank you all for the fun discussion.

Thanks for your opinion! You know, generally party pooper posts are "a little less welcome" on this forum than comments from people chiming into the hype full-force ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buyer%27s_remorse ). Hence more realism and more skeptical analysis like yours might do all of us good. So, please keep those party-pooping comments up.

Really, there should be no hate for this set. Awesome character. Awesome maxifigure. The set itself is solid with some unique colors and parts. My only issue is finding it at a discount, which I haven't yet. But that hasn't stopped me from buying at full MSRP. I fear this set might just disappear before seeing too many discounts.

I just got some on eBay under MSRP, free shipping, and no tax.

Are people ignoring the amount of sand green pieces on this set?

• Like 1

Really, there should be no hate for this set. Awesome character. Awesome maxifigure. The set itself is solid with some unique colors and parts. My only issue is finding it at a discount, which I haven't yet. But that hasn't stopped me from buying at full MSRP. I fear this set might just disappear before seeing too many discounts.

The most common hate this set seems to get is the "build" itself, but honestly after putting it together; it isn't all that bad... at least from a display perspective. As always i don't think the box does it justice (nor does the box do Smaug justice).

I know i was one criticizing the build originally when we saw the pictures. Is it the best looking build ever? probably not, could it be improved upon? yes, but it is far from the worst. Maybe i will upload a photo of how i have it set up tonight. I have limited display spots for my sets, and am constantly changing which are displayed, but this set has stuck around for a long time now as i think it looks quite good in a small square display box.

As a side-note i have seen this popping into Physical TRU stores up here in Canada (03/05R5 Codes i believe), but i think we are unlikely to get another %20 Hobbit for a while since we had one recently.

Aaron schock said it best, "haters are gonna hate"

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

Dang, when I fired this old thread up I didn't think it would be so popular. I have one and we built it. Sucks being banned and having no lego stores. I think amazon will become my best friend on this one. I am not expecting discounts on it unless lego.com slashes it while it is actually in stock. A great set.

unfortunately it's a lot less under the radar now

Perhaps the question should not be if this set is going to increase, but how much the increase will be compared to other similarly priced sets at the moment.  Speaking simply from the point of view of someone with limited budget :)

• Like 3

A very good question. If we had some insight as to whether this really will be a short run or not, it would be much easier to answer.

can anyone site any other set that was marked down nationwide @ Lego stores only & didn't retire? Edited by dcdfan

Besides the UN headquarters, bike shop, x men vs sentinel that are on sale now o think of bttf a few months back which is doing great on eBay right now.

previously. Not currently.

Well, BTTF should give an idea if this is retiring then...

Edited by dcdfan

I just came back from the future! Smaug will ultimately be the second largest maxifigure in Lego's history. (The largest being the hybrid maxifigure/build Galactus and Giganta being the third biggest maxifigure)!! Jokes aside, this set is gonna be a good bet. Building the set and having Smaug as a display piece is second-to-none. I got my third set on Sunday :) gonna buy my fourth and Simpsons houses this weekend too ;)))

• Like 2

Got 4 more for $83 today. I'm a believer in dragons but man this set has nothing attractive other than that awesome creature.   

You mean other than 5 exclusive mini figs, arkenstone, lots of sand green bricks, gold, and most of the hobbit story wrapped into it? 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled across a lone (ha) one of these at a Target for $90. I am on the fence on this at this price, are you guys snagging/passing at this price? Hoping they linger and can be found for half off at some point at TRU or something? Any opinions?

Buy! $40 off retail is a no brainer, this set is a winner in my opinion.  Smaug goes for around $60 right now alone.  

• Like 2

Stumbled across a lone (ha) one of these at a Target for $90. I am on the fence on this at this price, are you guys snagging/passing at this price? Hoping they linger and can be found for half off at some point at TRU or something? Any opinions?

Not sure these will last to a big sale/clearance. At least here in Canada these were devoured at just %20 off at Walmart/TRU. Restocked now, but full price. Will likely go poof again on another %20 sale.

• Like 1

I doubt these will hit 50% off at TRU unless they buy a stockpile from LEGO.  It's more likely they will be stocked sparingly and just disappear from retail shelves by the end of the year.  I would be surprised if LEGO overproduces this set since retailers have had little stock and many have already dropped it from their planogram.  Here's what we know so far:

Target - available on their website but virtually gone from retail stores

Walmart - OOS on their website and very HTF at retail stores

TRU - in stock online and at retail but above MSRP

LEGO - in stock online but being discounted and likely phased out at retail stores

• Like 1

This set is so amazing and when you place Smaug the wyvern on top of ToO, it's spectacular spectacular! But why is Kili in the set??? Didn't he get poisoned and then his heart was captured multiple kilometers away from the mountain by Tauriel??? On a side note, I worked hard this week so I am buying and building a Fairground Mixer or High Speed train this weekend!!!