79018 - The Lonely Mountain

So... any predictions on how long this lasts in the USA? What is the precedent for items retired in Europe but not North America... yet? 

LEGO Shop at Home is probably making room for SW so it'll probably be on sale here. I would think retailers would have it for weeks to months...

So... any predictions on how long this lasts in the USA? What is the precedent for items retired in Europe but not North America... yet? 

Batcave is a disheartening example.  I think it stuck around for 1.5 yrs after is disappeared in EU.  I don't think Lonely Mountain is the seller The Batcave is, obviously.

• Like 4

Other than TRU, Lego B&M, and a few small secondary chains, these seem to only be available online, which means they are stored in major retail warehouses.  I'd expect them to be around for a little while longer, but this is a big sign that the end is near.  I also think because of their limited release, that 3 or 4 years from now these 4 battle of the five armies sets could have a good resale value.  I'm pretty sure the witch king battle and the lonely mountain could do well.  Lake Town Attack and the Battle of the Five Armies may see only slight increases, but you never know.  None of these sets have seen any sort of decent discount yet.  Lonely Mountain was about 20.00 off in March, but that's the lowest i've seen.  Amazon has sold them for 125 for a while now.  Even still, all 4 of the Bot5A sets have great minifigures in them.  Everyone always talks about Smaug, but the LM set also has most of the key main characters, other than Thorin.

• Like 2

Lonely Mountain was 25% off at Meijer for a while, so $97.50.  There were some additional dollar discounts, I think a $15 coupon off $75 purchase, that brought it down to $82.50 plus tax.  It may have been cheaper if you had a Meijer credit card with an additional discount, but that's the price I bought mine at.

Edited by zskid00

Lonely Mountain was 25% off at Meijer for a while, so $97.50.  There were some additional dollar discounts, I think a $15 coupon off $75 purchase, that brought it down to $82.50 plus tax.  It may have been cheaper if you had a Meijer credit card with an additional discount, but that's the price I bought mine at.

This was the best price I saw and it sounds like Meijer was one of the few retailers who stocked this wave in abundance.

Now for some strategerrryyyy.....

Outside of Smaug and the LM, what about a few of these other sets that are available?

Is the Dul Guldur Battle a worthy set?  It won't last much longer but it's been out a while.  I don't know if anyone else here has built it, but if you have an extra pin, you can put the witch king battle, dul guldur ambush, and the dul guldur battle set together and they do make a nice large scale castle.  I personally think it looks very cool like that.  But, long term, would combining these three sets as a bulk package be worth it as an investment?  That would be my only strategy with these 3. I have a feeling very few have invested in any of these, to be honest.  I have a few....

What about the Battle of the Five Armies? Worth it?  I personally don't care much for the set and find it the weakest of all the hobbit sets, but the rarity of it could really make it's value rise in the future, especially with completionists. 

The Mirkwood Elf Army is retired, but it's still around too.  Worth it?  I see this as a decent set.. .but does it have potential like the Council of Elrond, or the Wizard Battle sets?  For the buy-in these aren't exactly going to break the bank.  Once again, I think not many have bought these or invested in them. 

Outside of Smaug and the LM, what about a few of these other sets that are available?

Is the Dul Guldur Battle a worthy set?  It won't last much longer but it's been out a while.  I don't know if anyone else here has built it, but if you have an extra pin, you can put the witch king battle, dul guldur ambush, and the dul guldur battle set together and they do make a nice large scale castle.  I personally think it looks very cool like that.  But, long term, would combining these three sets as a bulk package be worth it as an investment?  That would be my only strategy with these 3. I have a feeling very few have invested in any of these, to be honest.  I have a few....

What about the Battle of the Five Armies? Worth it?  I personally don't care much for the set and find it the weakest of all the hobbit sets, but the rarity of it could really make it's value rise in the future, especially with completionists. 

The Mirkwood Elf Army is retired, but it's still around too.  Worth it?  I see this as a decent set.. .but does it have potential like the Council of Elrond, or the Wizard Battle sets?  For the buy-in these aren't exactly going to break the bank.  Once again, I think not many have bought these or invested in them. 

The minifigure selection and eagle are what I find appealing about the Five Armies set, but I may be looking at it through an investor's eyes?

I actually like the Battle of the Five Armies and Dol Guldur Battle.  It really depends on how many people stockpiled these sets. It might be the sort of thing 4 years from now, people are kicking themselves for not buying more.

I actually like the Battle of the Five Armies and Dol Guldur Battle.  It really depends on how many people stockpiled these sets. It might be the sort of thing 4 years from now, people are kicking themselves for not buying more.

That's what i'm thinking.  I don't think many have stockpiled these at all to be honest.  If any of them are stockpiled it's the wave 1 LOTR sets, UG, and the Lonely Mountain.  The Dul Guldur sets have great minifigures... in the three sets that make up the castle you get elrond, galadriel, bjorn, radagast, azog...an early version of a ring wraith, and sauron.  To me those alone make the sets winners. 

I have plenty of MEA that I got at a nice discount, but it is not retired yet.  It's available now on Shop at Home with a limit of 5.

Sets like lonely mountain retired in EU. How long does it take to retire in US? Anyone has an idea?

The time span will dertemine when I should start to collect it.

2 weeks to 2 years - Lonely Mountain may have 6 months and harder to find the longer you wait.

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 1

Well, I just did a run through the sites.  Seems that a majority of the sites are getting lower on stock with the DoS sets that are now nearing 2 years.   Skipping the TRU site, only MEA and DGB can be found, and only at amazon and S&H.  They are gone everywhere else..  The Bot5A sets are still around on almost every site.  So, i'd expect there's a few weeks left, but anything can happen when people realize the end is near, and they taste blood in the waters.  Many of us that are hobbit/LOTR fans expected both lines to retire this year, so this isn't too far out of the norm that it's starting to occur heading into July.  I always sort of assumed these would be gone between the time Jurassic World came out, and before Scooby Doo appears.  We'll see if that happens.