Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

Amazon support got back to me via email.  Basically, they are blaming Lego.  I'm just shaking my head.  Note: I talked to big Amazon FBA Lego reseller (2 years selling FBA)  He's current stock seems fine but he's now noticing approval restrictions on new listings.  He was unaware of all of this until I called him

What listings is that seller getting blocked on?

2 minutes ago, asharerin said:

So what part of the gating process have they not rolled out exactly?

I believe you'll know the initial rollout is complete when the official message shows up in seller central and/or most everyone has their email from Amazon. Some users reported restrictions as early as 8/24, some 8/25 and more on 8/26. Again, trying to figure this out currently is akin to making beef jerky out of amiibos, it's going to be a waste of time and it leaves a really bad taste in your mouth. For whatever reason whether it be multiple servers or something else we don't know of, they usually don't manage to make these changes to all accounts in one immediate sweep.

Please note that the manufacturer of this product must have requested our categories team to restrict sellers from listing this product.

That makes it sound like he's just guessing at the reason for the gating. My understanding from what I've read elsewhere is that many of the newly gated brands were not driven by the manufacturer, which would make sense because it is not like something happened in the last few weeks that would have caused Nike, Lego, Calvin Klein, Funko, and a host of other brands to simultaneously tell Amazon to gate their products.

16 minutes ago, tjenson said:

I believe you'll know the initial rollout is complete when the official message shows up in seller central and/or most everyone has their email from Amazon. Some users reported restrictions as early as 8/24, some 8/25 and more on 8/26. Again, trying to figure this out currently is akin to making beef jerky out of amiibos, it's going to be a waste of time and it leaves a really bad taste in your mouth. For whatever reason whether it be multiple servers or something else we don't know of, they usually don't manage to make these changes to all accounts in one immediate sweep.

LOL good luck on waiting on an official message from Amazon on seller central. Did you see one when they gated the other hundred brands or so over the past 2 years because we certainly didn't on either of our accounts. All they will do is add the new brands to the existing restricted brands list. There will be no official statement or divulging of criteria used to decide who stays and who goes and who gets permissions for certain ASINs. The only thing they will be crystal clear on is what is needed to apply for permission to sell in the newly restricted categories if you are on the wrong side of the gate. 

Just now, asharerin said:

LOL good luck on waiting on an official message from Amazon on seller central. Did you see one when they gated the other hundred brands or so over the past 2 years because we certainly didn't on either of our accounts. All they will do is add the new brands to the existing restricted brands list. There will be no official statement or divulging of criteria used to decide who stays and who goes and who gets permissions for certain ASINs. The only thing they will be crystal clear on is what is needed to apply for permission to sell in the newly restricted categories if you are on the wrong side of the gate. 

Perhaps, but this is different with many brands hitting at once and a charge to top it off. Time will tell, but don't be so quick to decide in the middle of everything. Remember when Yeti said their cups were the best on the market and they wouldn't be beat? Look what happened there. The ice melted and all that was left was just cold vapid water and sellers got burned. Not literally of course, because they do such an amazing job of insulating the temperature but strictly in the financial sense. The sellers started with a large amount of money invested in those, and ended with less money. The money didn't literally get smaller, but the amount of it did if that makes sense. Again, because of the decrease in demand and no one knew what was coming.

• Like 1

I think that this is more of an Amazon-led initiative given the breadth of brands that are impacted by it, but it is definitely the downside of an effort to address counterfeiting.  People seem to forget that, from the outside, neither Amazon nor Lego have any way of truly knowing who is and isn't a counterfeiter so the only practical way to address counterfeiting is through categorical exclusion of certain groups of sellers.  

• Like 2