Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

14 minutes ago, SpaceFan9 said:

I found this under two ASIN.  One restricted: B01AW1R5YU (sales rank:276) , and one unrestricted: B012NOD05C (sales rank:53,945).

I don't get it.

The first one is the "official" ASIN. The second one is created by someone else who use an incorrect UPC to generate a new listing for whatever reason.

Edited by tacsniper
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, asharerin said:

I was cutting back but now that Amazon has gated Lego in the USA I am going big again. I only see growth in demand for Lego and with competition now capped on the selling side for my platform it will be a new golden age. Previously reseller growth was eclipsing demand and counterfeits were becoming a real issue. Now both of those concerns are gone completely on Amazon. I have never been more bullish on the brand. Instead of having to pick out diamonds in the rough here and there I can just close my eyes and order anything Lego and know it will be gold. I still won't be holding Star Wars sets for the long term that are in the revolving door program though (x-wings. AT-AT, falcons. snowspeeders, landspeeders etc).

Brilliant example of same product different market dynamics. 

5 minutes ago, asharerin said:

I was cutting back but now that Amazon has gated Lego in the USA I am going big again. I only see growth in demand for Lego and with competition now capped on the selling side for my platform it will be a new golden age. Previously reseller growth was eclipsing demand and counterfeits were becoming a real issue. Now both of those concerns are gone completely on Amazon. I have never been more bullish on the brand. Instead of having to pick out diamonds in the rough here and there I can just close my eyes and order anything Lego and know it will be gold. I still won't be holding Star Wars sets for the long term that are in the revolving door program though (x-wings. AT-AT, falcons. snowspeeders, landspeeders etc).

I must have missed this development as I'm in Canada. Is it that no one new is allowed to sell Lego? 

Yes, that should be a plus (unless as I mentioned this is just step 1 by Amazon).

I am shocked that no one much has been discussing the Amazon change, since it is huge.

The marketplace options available for selling (for non previous Amazon sellers) have been cut in half!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asharerin said:

I've enjoyed your posts over the last few days and your perspective, but I'm waiting until Sep 1 to order anything.  I just want to make sure the "grandfathering" thing is legit. 

Amazon could change it's mind at any time, even November or December.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KShine said:

Yes, that should be a plus (unless as I mentioned this is just step 1 by Amazon).

I am shocked that no one much has been discussing the Amazon change, since it is huge.

The marketplace options available for selling (for non previous Amazon sellers) have been cut in half!

Step 2 is going to be forced comminglement. Amazon's end game is 3 hour delivery for any product in their catalog. This can only happen if sellers commingle, and Amazon needs legitimate sellers to make commingled work, hence the recent brand restrictions. As time goes on further brands are going to be included. At the end Amazon will not sell a single retail item itself (it loses money on that part of its operation) but will just provide the distribution network for its army of vetted 3P sellers.

Just updated myself on the Amazon shenanigans and my thoughts on why this will keep me in Lego, and thus thread related, are as follows: Before migrating to Amazon from ebay early in 2015, I was already well established on Craigslist and Kijiji and price my sales on those sites to make the same as I do off Amazon, which is easy to do because there are no shipping or other fees to be paid so I can price them lower which is good for the customer. Assuming this move by Amazon has the desired effect, it will likely push Amazon prices higher for those of us grand-fathered in. Win number 1. Win number 2 is that my discount prices on Craigslist and Kijiji (which I can raise but still keep at a discount) will become more attractive due to the higher Amazon prices. Even if I got knocked off Amazon, this move should be good for me, though I'd prefer than not happen. 

5 minutes ago, weitzel78 said:

I have been selling only on eBay and CL up to this point. With the new restrictions am I still able to sell via Amazon FBA? I was really wanting to send them a few sets to try it, but after reading about the changes it sounds like I won't be able to do it?

It's easy to find out... go to a listing of a product you wish to sell, click on "Sell on Amazon" and see where it gets you. Reports in this thread have been that those who sold LEGO before and are in good standing are able to continue to sell, but those who have never are outside the gate, so likely you are also on that side. But it never hurts to try.

12 hours ago, redcell said:

What is the 5% that is allowed?  Is it Lego or non-Lego?

It's Lego.  The worst part is that I hit the summer clearance heavy in preparation for 4 qt, over $20k deep.  I have been selling Lego for the last three years and was only inactive for 1 month for vacation. Now I am on the wrong side of the gate. 

Step 2 is going to be forced comminglement. Amazon's end game is 3 hour delivery for any product in their catalog. This can only happen if sellers commingle, and Amazon needs legitimate sellers to make commingled work, hence the recent brand restrictions. As time goes on further brands are going to be included. At the end Amazon will not sell a single retail item itself (it loses money on that part of its operation) but will just provide the distribution network for its army of vetted 3P sellers.

Just curious if that is a fact or an educated guess. I tried commingle for few weeks and never again . U can reply in the Amazon thread . 

14 minutes ago, weitzel78 said:

I have been selling only on eBay and CL up to this point. With the new restrictions am I still able to sell via Amazon FBA? I was really wanting to send them a few sets to try it, but after reading about the changes it sounds like I won't be able to do it?

You will need to apply to be able to sell Lego on Amazon and pay the $1k fee now. If you don't have invoices from TLG or an authorized distributor you won't be approved. Gate came down 8/23 so anyone new after that will have to jump through the hoops.

Edited by Bold-Arrow
Edited by BA

Time to have someone here act as the BrickPicker.com Amazon selling agent. We all send our inventory to that person, who sells it on Amazon, takes a 1% cut of the profits and funnels the rest back to whoever supplied the stock :) Sort of a FBBP.

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Phil B said:

It's easy to find out... go to a listing of a product you wish to sell, click on "Sell on Amazon" and see where it gets you. Reports in this thread have been that those who sold LEGO before and are in good standing are able to continue to sell, but those who have never are outside the gate, so likely you are also on that side. But it never hurts to try.

Seem to be blocked. Does buying a pro plan help? It says I need a pro plan at $40/month.

16 minutes ago, asharerin said:

You will need to apply to be able to sell Lego on Amazon and pay the $1k fee now. If you don't have invoices from TLG or an authorized distributor you won't be approved. Gate came down 8/23 so anyone new after that will have to jump through the hoops.

Is there an official Amazon release about this? I'm only asking because it's mostly been trial and error/heresay, and other forms of less than perfect internet information thus far. I'm inside the gate *knocks on wood*, but I want to understand more of how Amazon does business. I've been burned by them before. Amazon is not only the elephant in the room, but it also carries a big stick.