Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

3 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I personally feel that they should have these certifications on file. When our items are checked in, they should be able to verify authenticity.

Realistically, there is no need for them to request safety documentation for items that Amazon currently sells or has sold in the past.  If the products were not deemed safe, then why was Amazon selling them in the first place?

These requirements make sense in certain situations such as when a new toy listing is created by a 3P seller, but not for products that Amazon sells/has sold. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

There are people on Amzn seller board who paid for the tests (for other toy items) and still got the same vague answers when their test results were rejected.

I hadn't keyed in on those, but if that is the case, then it sounds like this is more likely a case of over-zealous compliance staff.  With any luck, someone will wake up and pull this issue back into line.

23 minutes ago, redcell said:

Realistically, there is no need for them to request safety documentation for items that Amazon currently sells or has sold in the past.  If the products were not deemed safe, then why was Amazon selling them in the first place?

These requirements make sense in certain situations such as when a new toy listing is created by a 3P seller, but not for products that Amazon sells/has sold. 

100% correct. This whole thing is a bureaucratic clusterfuck. 

4 minutes ago, jbacunn said:

Someone on the Amazon forums just posted that the head of Product Safety at Lego had called to question Amazon on why they are doing this.  I'm hoping that this will all bubble up far enough that it gets brought back in line with reality.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, redcell said:

Someone on the Amazon forums just posted that the head of Product Safety at Lego had called to question Amazon on why they are doing this.  I'm hoping that this will all bubble up far enough that it gets brought back in line with reality.  

Well, the same guy also said he was sent the testing certifications directly from the head of Lego Product Safety, but never confirmed any approval of his flagged Lego items.  We'll see what happens.

16 minutes ago, jbacunn said:

The issue here is not about Amazon asking for toys safety documents. They mention in their policy that all sellers can be asked at any time to produce safety documents for the toys they sell. The issue here is that they refuse the certificates of compliance from Lego as proper safety documentation and ask for test results, pics and what not that as retailers we cannot and should not have to provide. I know that Lego does not have much love for us 3P sellers but they have the right to refuse giving to anybody who calls in the safety test results on their toys. There can be confidential information in these reports that Lego does not want to hand out. I am glad to read that finally Lego seems to be acting on this mess. It makes sense for Lego to question Amazon’s actions on these safety inquiries because it casts a doubt on the validity of their certificates of compliance. In the end, I think this will be sorted for the few authorized sellers out there but for us 3P sellers who practice AR we may be left on the side and ultimately screwed over.

I got approval this morning for my 8 non-Lego ASINs.  I only submitted CPC/test reports for 3 of the 8 items (all Hasbro.)  One item was a similar Hasbro item, but the other 4 items were Paw Patrol and Nickelodeon Blaze items that I did not submit any photos or documents for.  They said the test reports did not match the 10 Lego items on the list, so I'll probably just delete them and retract the approval request.  I have 1 unit pending sale and the rest are sold out.  Hopefully this won't be an ongoing issue with Lego items on Amazon.

2 hours ago, redcell said:

Yes.  This would make much more sense if the items they asked about were store exclusive sets, etc. that have 3P created listings that Amazon hasn't sold.

My fear is that since a number of 3p sellers are dropping prices to sell off sets instead of recalling product, Amazon will see this as a win and consider the result of the threat as lowered prices and clearing product out of their warehouses quickly as a plus. Why wouldn’t they do this again?

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

18 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

My fear is that since a number of 3p sellers are dropping prices to sell off sets instead of recalling product, Amazon will see this as a win and consider the result of the threat as lowered prices and clearing product out of their warehouses quickly as a plus. Why wouldn’t they do this again?

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Amazon is a HUUGE corporation. The product safety team, is different then the warehouse management team, which is different then the seller support team.. on and on..

The meeting of executives between product safety and the warehouse management isn't going to be "HA HA! Got those suckers, mission deweed 1% of our inventory is a success".

I am curious how the product safety team will continue to do there job in the future.

51 minutes ago, landphieran said:

Amazon is a HUUGE corporation. The product safety team, is different then the warehouse management team, which is different then the seller support team.. on and on..

The meeting of executives between product safety and the warehouse management isn't going to be "HA HA! Got those suckers, mission deweed 1% of our inventory is a success".

I am curious how the product safety team will continue to do there job in the future.

No, this wouldn't involve a board room meeting or anything nearly so elaborate or conspiratorial. Amazon = data. I highly doubt someone isn't going to notice that the ASINs targeted experienced a flood of sell offs and I also doubt that this resulting increase in sales is going to reflect poorly on the product safety team. 

• Like 1

Following up on my request to Amazon to send me an example of what documents they are looking for:

"Hello from Amazon.com, 

Thank you for your cooperation.

We understand your concern but unfortunately we would not be able to provide the example test report.

However, we request you to contact the Labs listed by CPSC in the below link for further assistance: 
https://www.cpsc.gov/cgi-bin/labsearch/SearchResult.aspx?ReqId=VvOKqmsMe6czUqpa6fYwCA%3d%3d

We look forward to your reply."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, landphieran said:

Amazon Offers Free Shipping on all orders for the holidays. Juicy.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/04/business/amazon-holiday-shopping-prime/index.html

Surprisingly it was Target that pressured them into this by offering free 2 day shipping for everybody. Amazon is only offering standard shipping. Target stockholders have alot to smile about, Amazon has peaked.

20 minutes ago, asharerin said:

Surprisingly it was Target that pressured them into this by offering free 2 day shipping for everybody. Amazon is only offering standard shipping. Target stockholders have alot to smile about, Amazon has peaked.

I wouldn't go that far. Target meets its delivery estimates about half the time. I currently have a couple orders that were pushed out weeks. When they got slammed by Lego orders for the giftcards it was taking 2-3 days to just process the order.

Target and Walmart are definitely catching up in terms of relevancy. Not sure what their profitability looks like at the moment but I can't imagine they are as efficient as Amazon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, landphieran said:

I wouldn't go that far. Target meets its delivery estimates about half the time. I currently have a couple orders that were pushed out weeks. When they got slammed by Lego orders for the giftcards it was taking 2-3 days to just process the order.

Target and Walmart are definitely catching up in terms of relevancy. Not sure what their profitability looks like at the moment but I can't imagine they are as efficient as Amazon. 

I agree. But Target is all upside while Amazon Retail has peaked.

Just received this email from Amazon.

Greetings,

Amazon's policies require that all toys sold through the Amazon website meet specified certification standards. In order to sell these products on Amazon, you must apply by submitting the following items.

1. Please be informed that we can only accept genuine images. Therefore, kindly take clear photo of the product and product packaging clearly displaying:
i)  Manufacturer name
ii) Manufacturer address
iii) Warning label (as applicable)

2. A testing report confirming that your product was successfully tested to the standards listed below by a CPSC-approved laboratory:
i) ASTM F963-16 / ASTM F963-17
ii) The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA)

By applying to sell these products you certify that all materials you submit in conjunction with your application are true, authentic, and accurate. Note that Amazon may remove your selling privileges for failing to meet these requirements.

We appreciate your cooperation on this important matter.

Thank you for selling with Amazon,

1 hour ago, Lego_Monsters said:

Just received this email from Amazon.

Greetings,

Amazon's policies require that all toys sold through the Amazon website meet specified certification standards. In order to sell these products on Amazon, you must apply by submitting the following items.

1. Please be informed that we can only accept genuine images. Therefore, kindly take clear photo of the product and product packaging clearly displaying:
i)  Manufacturer name
ii) Manufacturer address
iii) Warning label (as applicable)

2. A testing report confirming that your product was successfully tested to the standards listed below by a CPSC-approved laboratory:
i) ASTM F963-16 / ASTM F963-17
ii) The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA)

By applying to sell these products you certify that all materials you submit in conjunction with your application are true, authentic, and accurate. Note that Amazon may remove your selling privileges for failing to meet these requirements.

We appreciate your cooperation on this important matter.

Thank you for selling with Amazon,

Welcome to the club. Most of us got the same email after submitting the toy safety certificates from Lego.com. As far as I know it is the end of the road with the ASINs you got tagged on.

1 hour ago, brickology101 said:

Welcome to the club. Most of us got the same email after submitting the toy safety certificates from Lego.com. As far as I know it is the end of the road with the ASINs you got tagged on.

Assuming this is the first time Amazon contacted you and not a reply to your original submission of Lego documents that is a terrible sign.

Lego Russian Roulette isn't very fun. I havent been flagged yet and I recently created listing for about half of the stickied list. I'll let everyone know if I get flagged for any