Super Heroes 2015

jaisonline

I like the designs on 'the Ultron collective' minifigures in Iron Man vs Ultron set best as I can see great uses in other scenarios followed by the Ultron in Avengers Tower second seeing how battle scarred he looks that reminds me of the comic book character more than the other LEGO variants. Avengers Tower has a ton of big pieces mostly of the translucent variety which is fantastic. It's one of those sets I could purchase a few in its near perfect selection of pieces to put towards that dream space base of mine. I think the vehicles in the other Marvel sets are fun while the scenery is a tad lacking but it usually always is for the price range LEGO has to work with so I can't fault them much for the standard we all know by now.

With all considered if we were to play the "Which side takes the year?" game then unfortunately I am not quite sure about a clear winner. Marvel's Ultron sets are a mixed bag of "new with a pinch of the same", then there is Carnage who wins by default just for being himself even if the vehicle is so-so, then the Ant Man set with some clever builds of macro sized LEGO bricks made out of LEGO, and finally the Sand Man set that although Rhino is the hardsuit film version thankfully Sand Man is true to the comic. DC's side does have yet more Batman sets but a couple like Jokerland or Gorilla Grodd are quite good either in the build or selection of characters and thank LEGO for finally giving us more superheroes & villains from the DC universe like Captain Cold or Sinestro. Now if I am honest, I only want the Gorilla Grodd Goes Bananas set for Captain Cold and then perhaps the Black Manta Deep Sea Strike for the parts.

I think that if you're a comic book fan looking for a deep character roster....DC wins this hands down.  I don't think that's indicative on how they're handling each franchise though.  With the Age of Ultron movie....MARVEL's focus is naturally going to be on getting as much movie merchandise out as possible.  I think in their "off movie" years....you'll see a wider roster variety (kind of like in 76018 LAB SMASH).

I think in terms of TLC's success.....Age of Ultron sets will outsell the DC sets.

In terms of investors success..........I give that to the DC sets because A) the characters have more of their traditional look which is what traditional comic fans are looking for, B) they're probably under-ordered compared to the Ultron sets....so you'll probably see less of them and C) I'm not sold on movie LEGO sets anymore as an investment. 

Hello,

I've got a budget of about $700 (plus tax) that I can afford to sink into sets I might only be able to play with. Because they might lose value, I've decided on Marvel sets. I love the whole Marvel Universe. Are there any sets that you guys can suggest might net a CAGR of 25% or preferably more in a 6-24 month time frame? Not risk averse.

Thanks

Brickler

Just some personal opinions:

I like the Hulk Buster and Avengers Tower sets for the newest Marvel sets.  Walmart has just marked down GOTG Milano to $35 a lot of places.  Now would be the time to jump on that if you can find it.  The Ant-Man set that is coming soon is another one I like.  I have a feeling that the GOTG set with Groot in it will probably be popular down the line; I think it's the only place to get Groot.

This thread should probably be tossed into the Marvel Super Heroes thread.  You might some more responses there.

Grab your retiring sets of choice for discounts (malibu, bugle,etc) isn't a bad plan. Use those proceeds to buy current sets

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

These would be the ones to target. I would only get GotG sets at more than 30% off at this stage in their lifespan. Obviously getting 50% off would be a no-brainer - even with all the Chinese fakes, sealed sets should probably still do alright. While I think the Ant-Man and Ultron sets will do well, no need to buy these until this time next year when they are probably on clearance.

If you're focused on sets that will appreciate in the next 6-24 months then look for the ones likely to retire this year. The new sets while cool likely will be around for 18-24 months so you won't make money on them. Daily Bugle, Mailbu Mansion attack, Milano spaceship, and x-men vs sentinel would be my picks...especially if on sale!. 

If ant man movie flops (I think it will do fine) then set won't be popular and less reorders and make it more scarce for the hardcore fans in years down the road.

TH wasn't popular remember?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

I doubted the GOTG movie. How'd that work out for me? I am never doubting Marvel again. I like the Ant Man set. It's unique as far as Super Hero sets go.

I'm in agreement with many that these avengers sets are no great investments save the hulkbuster...maybe the quintet and fortress will be ok. If the ant man movie is a huge success then it will do well.

Problem is...everyone knows the hulkbuster will be good so will be heavily hoarded

I think the dc sets are all better save the black manta one...

I think brainiac attack is going to be a nice gainer...little high on the piece count price but also has 4 figs...as a target exclusive I see this as easy money down the road especially if we don't see duplicates of Martian and supergirl.

I agree. Funny that they add one extra figure compared to 6862 and they bump the price up $5.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

I think brainiac attack is going to be a nice gainer...little high on the piece count price but also has 4 figs...as a target exclusive I see this as easy money down the road especially if we don't see duplicates of Martian and supergirl.

Being a target exclusive helps. Only prob is that lego is churning out new superhero refreshes just like Kenner did with Batman in the 1990s. How long can this set stay in demand by kids when there is so many more offerings? not sure. Superman and brainic are popular with kids, not sure about supegirl and Martian manhunter..

not sure about supegirl and Martian manhunter..

There's a Supergirl TV show being made right now and the first photo of the actress came out yesterday. I can see this minifigure going for good prices thanks to the show just like it happened with the Flash and others.