9474 - The Battle of Helm's Deep

Didn't get as many of these as i wanted during clearances, but there are still lots widely available at retail price in the Toronto area. I just find it hard to pay full Canadian retail for them ($170 and around $192 with tax). and the small stores nearby that sell them usually never have sales :(

Torn as to whether or not i should get a few more... Right now i just feel the money is better spent elsewhere. I also don't want to regret not getting a few more if the gains (even at retail) are worth it.

:frantics:

• 1 month later...

Question for those who have done this far longer than I. What, in your opinion is the long term (2-3 years) potential for Helm's Deep? I've never bought a set for investment at retail, but I found two Helm's Deep on a shelf at retail price and I am debating if I should go back and buy them.

Question for those who have done this far longer than I. What, in your opinion is the long term (2-3 years) potential for Helm's Deep? I've never bought a set for investment at retail, but I found two Helm's Deep on a shelf at retail price and I am debating if I should go back and buy them.

If I didn't have any Helm's Deep and I had some capital to burn and there were two on the shelf at retail, I'd buy both of them.  Usually I don't like to buy sets at full retail unless they are exclusives with a promo (like 2-3x VIP points) OR they are retired and I want one for personal use / long-term investment.

Do some research on this site and you'll find plenty of wisdom regarding this set.  Everyone has a different philosophy on when to buy and what to buy.

I'll be tempted to buy them too but do try to find some coupons to get it cheaper. Also, thinking about alternatives or 'benchmark' sets would also help. For example, for the retail price of helm's deep you can easily get one VM T1 camper and two batcaves. Assuming both the camper and batcave retire this year (quite likely), two years later will helm's deep outperform or do as well as those two? Of course, the best option may be catch the appreciation ride of helm's deep now and sell and jump to other sets with great potential before its too late.   

• Like 1

I'm tempted to buy a couple at my local TRU at CANADIAN retail - which is $169 - so if you are getting them for $120, you should not be checking this forum but driving back there and buying them before someone else does.

I've seen a couple Canadian TRU's with HD still in stock in my area, but i do believe they are $10 over MSRP. I scanned one the other day as they have no price tag, and they came up $179.99. Yours may be different of course, but i'm personally waiting for some kind of sale at that price that actually includes LOTR.

I also have one in the area that has some Urak-Hai Army's, but they are $2 over MSRP.

Been a while since LOTR has been on sale at TRU, or included in any BOGOs :(

I think hd will do very well, very realistic to hit $300 I believe since it was an epic piece of the trilogy and the final battle I'm two towers. The whole built up to it and they really focused on the battle. I refuse to build any lego sets as they are investments but if I were to crack a set open to build this would be it.

I found one today in a store, at $130, but the box looks like it was opened (all seals open, some damage to the box), and "sealed" again using quite a bit of tape. I left it there, but I wonder if that was the right decision. It's hard to know without knowing the inside... Decisions, decisions...

I found one today in a store, at $130, but the box looks like it was opened (all seals open, some damage to the box), and "sealed" again using quite a bit of tape. I left it there, but I wonder if that was the right decision. It's hard to know without knowing the inside... Decisions, decisions...

Take it to customer service and tell them you want to open it and check with the intention of buying if everything is there.

I'll be tempted to buy them too but do try to find some coupons to get it cheaper. Also, thinking about alternatives or 'benchmark' sets would also help. For example, for the retail price of helm's deep you can easily get one VM T1 camper and two batcaves. Assuming both the camper and batcave retire this year (quite likely), two years later will helm's deep outperform or do as well as those two? Of course, the best option may be catch the appreciation ride of helm's deep now and sell and jump to other sets with great potential before its too late.   

I'm guessing you aren't aware but the Batcave retired last year. So far it hasn't done amazing since going retired but I imagine thats due to huge levels of stock out there. Otherwise I agree with your post, HD is one of my favourite sets of recent times and will be a great investment.

I'm guessing you aren't aware but the Batcave retired last year. So far it hasn't done amazing since going retired but I imagine thats due to huge levels of stock out there. Otherwise I agree with your post, HD is one of my favourite sets of recent times and will be a great investment.

The Batcave is not long retired in the UK, Amazon were selling these for