9474 - The Battle of Helm's Deep

Yeah sorry to hear that but I don't know the market in Slovenia, I would take a wild guess and say it's not as good as Germany or he U.S. to resell items so you need to ship international?

But as mscheaf said: Then don't offer free shipping?

Well its a small market..... If i want to sell something and not wait for 6-12 months for a buyer, I need to go international yes.

Thats not the point, free shipping or not, shipping still costs as it costs.... if I put set for 150$ + 60$ shipment it is exactly the same as if i put it on 210$ and free shipping.....  the overall Worldwide value (US) still has to exceed the same mark in $$$ for buyers to consider buying mine with or without free shipping.

Its just I did not check this good enough, before buying, and effectively kicked myself, its just trouble, guess ill wait a lot longer.......

Let's be real, nobody on eBay is offering "free" shipping. If something costs a lot to ship then you just up the selling price to cover it. If shipping cost is the determining factor for a good investment, then all the high valued, retired exclusives are terrible investments.

I think the issue is that in a global marketplace that heavy packages favor those that can get the initial set cheap and have different postage options - with what I am guessing is a smaller market in Slovenia, he has to factor shipping into his ability to sell without being undercut. I have similar issues - CanadaPost is great for shipping within Canada but if I need to sell internationally, the cost is way higher, meaning I'm less competitive on price for larger, heavier sets.

Well, certainly Alcarin "offers" shipping because there's an option on ebay to select "free shipping only", like on amazon. :)

And I understand that, it's a good choice he made.

Unfortunately, there's also the option to select items "from cheaper to more expensive", so it will rank his items at the end.

It's a choice, both as a seller and as a buyer. I'm ok with both. And to be true: some of my items have free shipping, some not (it depends).

Edited by biniou

Well, certainly Alcarin "offers" shipping because there's an option on ebay to select "free shipping only", like on amazon. :)

And I understand that, it's a good choice he made.

Unfortunately, there's also the option to select items "from cheaper to more expensive", so it will rank his items at the end.

It's a choice, both as a seller and as a buyer. I'm ok with both. And to be true: some of my items have free shipping, some not (it depends).

Well usually I offer free shipping (and calculate it inside the price) or in other words....

Cheapest ''free shipping'' or cheapest item + shipping on ebay must equal my green point (so I make my desired profit) to list the item....

For example if cheapest Helm's Deep is being sold for 180$ + 32$ shipping so thats 212$..... now if i calculate that shipping worldwide (to compete with that price) is 65$ that means 212$ - 15% (for all costs from fees to packing etc) and then -65$ for free shipping  so thats 182$ - 65$ = 117$ would be my ''net'' outcome from the sale...... and i paid 90

• Like 1

Well usually I offer free shipping (and calculate it inside the price) or in other words....

Cheapest ''free shipping'' or cheapest item + shipping on ebay must equal my green point (so I make my desired profit) to list the item....

For example if cheapest Helm's Deep is being sold for 180$ + 32$ shipping so thats 212$..... now if i calculate that shipping worldwide (to compete with that price) is 65$ that means 212$ - 15% (for all costs from fees to packing etc) and then -65$ for free shipping  so thats 182$ - 65$ = 117$ would be my ''net'' outcome from the sale...... and i paid 90

If it is not a good investment under your circumstamces: why do you participate in lego investing business? Just to be a part of it? I dont want to offend you but for me it does not make sense at all!

And crying at the low us prices wont help your situation ;-)

If it is not a good investment under your circumstamces: why do you participate in lego investing business? Just to be a part of it? I dont want to offend you but for me it does not make sense at all!

And crying at the low us prices wont help your situation ;-)

But crying at the low U.S. prices still feels good ^.^

"What you bought XYZ for retail price at 99,99$??? I found it at target for 79,99$!" - "You're kidding right? Found some for 59,99$ at walmart clearance!" - "Haha, guess I'm lucky, got 10 for 30$ at a garage sale" - "I found 100 MINT boxes under the brooklyn bridge and some dudes helped me carry them and bought me free milk shakes and a diamond-studded watch and 10 georgeous ladies gave a me a foodmassage afterwards, did I mention that it was with happy ending?"

At the same time European are like "Yeah found XYZ (note: the same set!) for 148,99

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been posted. Most likely it has. WOW

http://imgur.com/gallery/oVNF2

Haven't seen it here before but have seen found it via google before ;-)

I love those MOCs and Helms Deep is one of those really nice ones that makes you wish that you could be a kid again and play with it ^.^

(Or have it at home and be able to play with it as an adult, I guess most people here'd do that anyhow xD )

O

M

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was looking at this set again the other day, in comparison to the Tower of Orthanc. It hit me that i think i'd pay more for Helm's Deep over the Tower, and i think other LOTR fans will feel the same in years to come.

I know that the Tower was 200 retail and Helms was just 130, BUT, just looking at them side by side, i much prefer Helms. 

There's variety of colors, more figures, its' more expansive, more details interior and exterior, and it's a castle with an invading army vs......a monochrome tower. 

If you add in the ability to augment Helms with Uruk Hai army and castle walls, i think that' much more interesting than adding 1 or 2 black gates to Orthanc. Again just more black sharp shiny bricks.

5 years from now if you told me these sets BOTH cost 169.99 at retail, i'd believe it.

5 years from now if they were both on a collectibles store shelf and i seeing them for the FIRST time, & wanted ONE of these sets, i'd pick Helms every time, and I'd pay more for it than the Tower.

I'm not a true LOTR fan, but i've seen the movies, and i much prefer Helms Deep to Tower of Orthanc. This realization surprises me, but there it is. Anyone with me?

Edited by mudcatsfan