9474 - The Battle of Helm's Deep

That quantity shouldn't last more than a couple of days.  I've been watching closely for another discount, but if that doesn't happen, I'll just pay full retail. 

Amazon sold out so it looks like all retail sets are gone again. I found one at a toys r us today for $149.99. Talked to the manager and got them to price match the website ($129.99) and take the $25 off $100 deal as well, for $104.99 + tax.

Amazon sold out so it looks like all retail sets are gone again. I found one at a toys r us today for $149.99. Talked to the manager and got them to price match the website ($129.99) and take the $25 off $100 deal as well, for $104.99 + tax.

they took off an extra 25? nice! the 25 off is only for regular priced sets and when you price match they usually dont accept any extra discounts :/ nice catch tho

they took off an extra 25? nice! the 25 off is only for regular priced sets and when you price match they usually dont accept any extra discounts :/ nice catch tho

Yeah, the deal says in obvious writing it's only off regular priced sales, but their website takes it off all prices (even marked down ones), so I just asked if they would honor the same deal as their website. The manager (I'm assuming he was the store manager) said that the only way I could get that deal was if I ordered it online and picked it up. I told him the item wasn't appearing on the store inventory online, so wasn't sure how I could do it. He just said in the future that's how it goes but said he would take care of me this time.

I just chose to be respectful the whole time, told him I knew he was super busy that day (store was packed), and was calmly asking him, not being argumentative. I worked in fast food for 5 years throughout high school/college so know all too well how stuck up and snobby customers can get.

• 5 weeks later...

My local TRU still have a couple available with their hefty marked up price, $149 if I remember correctly. The current sale of 20 off 75 would bring it down to retail $129.  Good deal at this point for investment (already got one for myself before the holiday)? What do you guys think would be the ceiling for the set?

I suppose at this point, there is still money to be made, even if you pay full price for it.  You just might have to wait a little longer.  I feel like Helm's Deep is a "can't fail" type of set, so if you feel you don't have enough of them, you could pay full retail for it if it gives you peace of mind.  I have no doubt that this set will get up over $200 by next Christmas.

Wouldn't it be natural to just buy and sell this right away? Even if you don't want to hold, you can just buy and immediately put an auction up on ebay. I guess some people don't like the smell of money. 

1. How? Its about $160 on Ebay. IF he buys it for $130 plus tax, after fees you are probably losing money.

2. Not really smart to flip a set for peanuts if it is currently in the middle of its panic buying - Oh no its gone stage.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be natural to just buy and sell this right away? Even if you don't want to hold, you can just buy and immediately put an auction up on ebay. I guess some people don't like the smell of money. 

I get that some of you most sell so much that you have a billion boxes lying around and are making daily trips to the post office, but for the majority of people here, making a $5 profit after fees with a risk of bad buyers, finding a box, packing an item, driving to the post office, waiting in line, shipping it, just isn't worth it for most people.

I get that some of you most sell so much that you have a billion boxes lying around and are making daily trips to the post office, but for the majority of people here, making a $5 profit after fees with a risk of bad buyers, finding a box, packing an item, driving to the post office, waiting in line, shipping it, just isn't worth it for most people.

You are right, I only have about 8-15 sets stashed away. I would still buy it but not sell it right away. After fees it probably isn't worth it

Definitely buy; you can`t get them anymore and this set is only going to go up. May take a little while, but it is going to go up. Probably end up around the $300-$350 mark easy. Not quite as much as Hogwarts I don`t think, but not drastically off. In any case, it`s a winner.

I found one also, going to see if it is still on the shelf.

Our gut feelings seem to all point to this being a great set to sell in the future, especially since LotR still fresh and another movie will be due out by X-Mas.

It has a great castle feel, great pieces and count with plenty of minifigs!