LEGO Ideas Results

TheOrcKing

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like LEGO spoiled the next Ideas set themselves, in a press release for the New York City Tour Fair:

Through the online LEGO Ideas community, fans may propose their original designs to become new LEGO sets and then vote for their favorites. Each year, several submissions are approved, produced and sold as official LEGO sets. Available in April, LEGO Maze ($69.99) lets fans build, customize and play a maze game.

Full press release via FBTB.

• Like 1

I've been pretty bummed out by the IDEAs theme.  I've only bought a couple of sets from the theme.  The whole process is just funky to begin with, and 99.99% of the sets that make it to review don't have a snowballs chance in hell to ever make it to production.  Plus it's been mentioned a couple of times, that there has been 2 very high profile incidents where it appeared Lego ripped off an IDEAs submission. One being the helicarrier, and the other, the ghostbusters firehouse.  I'm just not at all excited about the maze.  Cool idea, but meh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

Someone posted it about it on Reddit, and the person who submitted it to LEGO Ideas showed up and is discussing it.  Pretty interesting.

This is going to be real neat; I'm very excited for this set. The fact that you can change the maze adds to the entertainment value. And the mod that the designer discusses in the link above is awesome. Unlike a build and display set, this one's going to keep me occupied for some time. I feel this set is going to appeal to a wide demographic. Even if it tanks, I wouldn't mind having a ton of these for gift giving.

From reddit above:

Most of the changes they made were structural, and as a result it is far superior in terms of strength and stability. They made some minor changes to how the mazes are built as well, which don't really change much. The only real difference is that, as a result of the structural improvements, the 'deck' is 1 brick lower than in my original model. As a result the tilt is not uniform in each direction, which is something I paid special attention to in my original design. It doesn't really affect the gameplay though, so it's not that big of a deal. And I already designed a mod to raise the deck if people really want the unlock the 'full tilt' capabilities. It actually doesn't even require any additional pieces, just moving a few around. :)

I recommend checking the Maze Ideas creator YouTube channel: JK Brickworks.

Besides the maze, JK creates several moving constructions with and without using motors - they're reminiscent of the old toys that worked with mechanical devices. The walking duck, the dancing penguin, the moon & cow escapement device are some examples. Also a cookie sugar coat printing device :)

JK provides build instructions for all his constructions, so anyone could try at home building the mechanisms he presents in the videos.

It's all very worthy of paying some attention. For me his creations expand the frontier of what can be done with Lego. They somewhat cross the Technic theme (the workings on the inside) with the Classic theme (the appearance on the outside).

From the investing point of view, I would see this set as like the 21301 - Birds set, although with less potential as the theme in itself (mazes) doesn't drive an demand while the birds theme does. Imo the strongest point for the set is the exploration of the mechanical capabilities of Lego in applications other than those showed by the Technic line. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, CrabslayerT said:

I just read that the next 2 Ideas sets will be the Caterham 7 and adventure time figures. Apologies fuzzy_bricks if this is what you just posted but you is block at work by our POXY server.

THE CATERHAM?

YES YES YES YES YES!

• Like 2