LEGO Ideas Results

TheOrcKing

I would like to see the Nautilus win... really... because I want it to be built and displayed. But there are about 0.001% chances it'll win (and I'm optimistic).

The concorde would be awesome in my country as an investment if we can wait long enough (let's give it a 1% chances it'll make it).

I think the next Ideas set will be either the Jurassic Car, Yellow submarine (see big bang theory, ecto-1, dr who), national park (see research institute)... or again no set selected ?

3 hours ago, dinner41 said:

No new results yet, but here is the list of sets in the next review (not the one that they are currently wrapping up, but the one after that):

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/56

• Jurassic Park Explorer
  • 20.000 Leagues under the Sea NAUTILUS
  • Toyota Landcruiser 40 Series
  • Beatles Yellow Submarine
  • HMS Beagle
  • Apollo 11 Saturn-V
  • Concorde Display Set
  • National Park Service Centennial Vignettes
  • Victorian London Christmas

Which do you like, and which not? Which do you think have a chance of being made, and which not?

I like most of them, except the National Park Service vignettes and the Jurassic Park Explorer. 

Which submissions I think might have a chance? 

• Jurassic Park Explorer --> Nope, not in the Ideas series. There's already a Jurassic Park / World series where it would belong.
  • Nautilus --> The smaller model MIGHT, if TLG feels daring to expand the boundaries of the Ideas series.
  • Landcruiser --> Not in the Ideas series. It would fit with the Epert Creator models (VW Camper, Mini Cooper, F40) after a refinement by a Lego designer.
  • Yellow Submarine --> If TLG can get a license deal with the current owner of the Beatles license, this could become a real Ideas set.
  • HMS Beagle --> Gorgeous ship, but I'm not sure TLG would find it fitting within the Ideas series. 
  • Saturn-V --> This could have a real chance to be an Ideas model. I would buy it!
  • Concorde model --> Another maybe.
  • National Park vignettes --> Sorry, just doesn't do it for me. 
  • London Christmas --> Beautiful MOC scene, but probably simply too big to be packaged and sold through retail. Comparable with 3 Advanced Modular houses combined! 
  • Like 2

Nice group of sets with some great candidates for Ideas set.

Jurassic Park Explorer - why the hell is somebody voting for it? Its not iconic vehicle at all + TLG has special Jurassic serie.
Nautilus - beatifull steampunk issue, but probably too big for Ideas. My favourite.
Toyota Landcruiser - very nice, but TLG has special serie for cars.
Beatles Yellow Submarine - great set, but dont know the license issue, they probably need the acceptation from all members + crazy Yoko Ono. But ideal set in size and theme for Ideas.
HMS Beagle - nice ship, but probably too big.
Apollo 11 - nothing extra, but has big chance...
Concorde  - nice, but it will have same destiny as Titanic from last round ...
National Park Service - nothing special, worthless ,redundant set. But has biggest chance, because is similar to Research Institute.
Victorian London Christmas - really a joke. NO WAY to issue such big set within Ideas, extremly big, plus modular style conflicted with creator modulars serie.

I still cannot understand, why people nominate and vote for sets, which have NO CHANCE to be a Ideas set, or are simple, with standard figs and parts, worthless to take a place in Ideas, which can be cover by something rare. Everybody, who is nominate and vote within Ideas, should know that:

a) TLG will never make a big set. At least he cannot show that somebody is better designer than TLG employee. So forget all big MOCs, modulars, big buildings, etc.

B) TLG will never make a set in theme, which has its own serie within TLG production - i.e. forget all LOTR MOCs, SW, jurassic items, heroes, but also advanced vehicles, etc - these set could be just an inspiration for TLG, as Ghostbusters HQ or Helicareer.

c) its crazy and out of logic to nominate a set, which is simple, without special parts and figs, and which can be EASY built using classic parts. Why to spend the rare 2 Ideas places / per year by simple creator / city looked sets as Research Institute, Birds, etc. Ideas is ONE AND ONLY serie, when we can see special sets and rare figs, which have no chance to have their own serie within TLG production. Without Ideas we would never see for example Deloreen or Dr. Who. This is the only chance to see legendary movies / themes as lego.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, mesje said:

c) its crazy and out of logic to nominate a set, which is simple, without special parts and figs, and which can be EASY built using classic parts

My take on this is that probably LEGO doesn't only use the submissions to pick a few that will be made as IDEAS set, but uses them as well to just gauge interest. They would be stupid not to. This way, something might just be out of scope for Ideas, but some great idea might still make it eventually into a regular set; probably changed quite a bit, but it would be an influence on what's to come down the line. The few sets that are made directly out of Ideas are just an incentive for the masses to participate.

Edited by dinner41
  • Like 1

Out of all submissions, The Nautilus is the most unique and being from a classic tale in poetry far ahead of its time about a subject no one could even fathom back in the day aside from the pen of Jules Verne deserves to succeed. Also the 1954 film is still considered to be one of Disney's best live-action adventures.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Deanfjr said:

I can't help but to laugh at the National Park set, as far as the Everglades go, those people are in a canoe!? umm yea no, airboat sure thing,

but then I will just buy Swamp Police if I want an airboat and gator.

You can't take an airboat in the everglades...  Yes, there is this beautiful long path called the wilderness waterway, and you go by canoe or kayak. 

I personally think the NPS sets, and the Yellowsubmarine are shoe-ins.  The rest are probably not going to get done.

1 hour ago, fossilrock said:

You can't take an airboat in the everglades...  Yes, there is this beautiful long path called the wilderness waterway, and you go by canoe or kayak. 

I personally think the NPS sets, and the Yellowsubmarine are shoe-ins.  The rest are probably not going to get done.

I am aware that you COULD go by canoe or kayak, if you want to run into gator's in a small boat like that? good luck to you!

I was on an airboat tour in the everglades, so yes you can take airboats in the everglades, I can attach a pic later when my wife gets home

(not sure where our camera is)

7 minutes ago, Deanfjr said:

I am aware that you COULD go by canoe or kayak, if you want to run into gator's in a small boat like that? good luck to you!

I was on an airboat tour in the everglades, so yes you can take airboats in the everglades, I can attach a pic later when my wife gets home

A majority of the park is wilderness, so no motor's are allowed.  You were probably in an area outside of the National Park boundaries.  There are plenty of places outside of the park boundary that allow that. 

5 hours ago, mesje said:

Nice group of sets with some great candidates for Ideas set.

Jurassic Park Explorer - why the hell is somebody voting for it? Its not iconic vehicle at all + TLG has special Jurassic serie.

Not iconic? This is one of the MOST iconic vehicles from my childhood, and i'm sure many others. Maybe not for today's kids, but it definitely has it's fan-base.

I do agree though chances of them making it an ideas set is pretty slim, but maybe someday in their own JW/JP line.

5 hours ago, mesje said:

Victorian London Christmas - really a joke. NO WAY to issue such big set within Ideas, extremly big, plus modular style conflicted with creator modulars serie.

These buildings are not like modulars as the back is open for easier access/lowering parts count. By the way, I would be willing to pay serious money for this set or a set in a similar vein.

5 hours ago, mesje said:

I still cannot understand, why people nominate and vote for sets, which have NO CHANCE to be a Ideas set, or are simple, with standard figs and parts, worthless to take a place in Ideas, which can be cover by something rare. Everybody, who is nominate and vote within Ideas, should know that:

a) TLG will never make a big set. At least he cannot show that somebody is better designer than TLG employee. So forget all big MOCs, modulars, big buildings, etc.

B) TLG will never make a set in theme, which has its own serie within TLG production - i.e. forget all LOTR MOCs, SW, jurassic items, heroes, but also advanced vehicles, etc - these set could be just an inspiration for TLG, as Ghostbusters HQ or Helicareer.

c) its crazy and out of logic to nominate a set, which is simple, without special parts and figs, and which can be EASY built using classic parts. Why to spend the rare 2 Ideas places / per year by simple creator / city looked sets as Research Institute, Birds, etc. Ideas is ONE AND ONLY serie, when we can see special sets and rare figs, which have no chance to have their own serie within TLG production. Without Ideas we would never see for example Deloreen or Dr. Who. This is the only chance to see legendary movies / themes as lego.

Personally, I vote for ideas that I like. I don't take into account set size or theme. Although I'm disillusioned by LEGO Ideas in this regard by now I still hope that TLG regognizes there's demand for certain kinds of themes and set sizes. If a really amazing Ideas set were to be released with an RRP of 300€ I would buy it just as I bought 75079 Sandcrawler.

7 hours ago, Deanfjr said:

I kayak around alligators all the time, never had a problem. Oysters, on the other hand, will mess you up.

Edited by Migration
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, fossilrock said:

7 hours ago, fossilrock said:

A majority of the park is wilderness, so no motor's are allowed.  You were probably in an area outside of the National Park boundaries.  There are plenty of places outside of the park boundary that allow that. 

Not sure elsewhere but all along highway 75 through Everglades people are putting their airboats in the water.....

Edited by Lordoflego

35 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

Not sure elsewhere but all along highway 75 through Everglades people are putting their airboats in the water.....

Here you go.  It's a common mistake.  Since these are National Park related lego sets, they'll have strict approval standards on what they could showcase.  So, that's why you see a canoe instead of a motor boat since a majority of the national park is dedicated as wilderness from the 1964 wilderness act.  

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/airboat-tours-everglades-national-park-60240.html

Edited by fossilrock

11 minutes ago, dinner41 said:

That would be most ... disappointing.

I like the idea, but think the sets themselves are too plain jane, but then again their focus is probably to attract kids ages 5 to 10 with these, and not afol's.   But places like Yellowstone, Yosemite, etc could be interesting if they could make them more appealing.