LEGO Flash Mob - Bone Cancer Child

BrickLegacy

Brickpickers,

A local boy is battling a rare form of bone cancer and has been quarantined in his house for months.  His aunt is asking the community to cheer him up with a special Lego wonderland at his school. He was scheduled to make a trip to the Lego world headquarters in Denmark but that has been postponed due to recent setbacks.  

Read more here: http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2014/03/12/Lego-build-aims-to-cheer-ill-boy.html

I am planning to donate some sealed sets but I wanted to ask if there was anyone else that would be willing to donate?  The aunt's goal is 10,000 bricks.

I am hoping that we can get enough support to turn this into a LEGO Flash Mob. Imagine how awesome it would be if we could send him dozens of sets to build and create with?

If you have a set or two you are willing to donate, please PM me and I'll provide the address of their home or school.  I think this is a great way to give back and demonstrate the strength and goodwill of the LEGO community.

Thank you for the support.

P.S. If this is the wrong forum for this sort of thing, please move this thread.

• Like 8

Just a quick update for everyone. I haven't heard back from the mom or aunt yet.

His Facebook page did help though:

"This will be a complete surprise for Gavin...Some of Gavin's favorite Legos are Super Heroes, Star Wars, Chima, Hero Factory and the Mixels."

Tonight's drop-off was cancelled due to a snow storm, but they are having another one tomorrow.  I will be there to drop off a few sets and hopefully meet his family.  So far we have about 6 Brickpickers that have pledged to donate.  Can we get a few more so I can tell them to expect their porch to be loaded with LEGO this week?

I should have some details about where to send the sets after tomorrow night.  Please PM if you are interested and follow this thread for updates.  I'll PM everyone with the address as soon as I have it.

This is going to be pretty awesome.  Thanks again everyone!

Guest brickcrazyhouse

I love the mixels and will go out and get a set of 9 for him (called it)with a bag or two of childhood lego loose pieces 

Chima:

-Ultra Striker

-Worriz Combat Lair

-Gorilla striker

Hero Factory:

-Speeda Demon (6231)

Star Wars:

- Republic Striker-class starfighter (9497)

-Palpatine's arrest

Super Heroes:

-Spidey Cycle

-Funhouse Escape

I can send any of these, let me know if others already have committed to some. 

• Like 2

I can give up a spidey cycle or a sponge Bob set, I know it's nothing big but would love to participate

Whatever you can give will be appreciated. I know it's difficult for most of you to absorb the shipping costs on top of the set itself.

Thank you for the pledge!

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Im not sure what kind of treatment he's receiving but his immune system may be so weak they dont risk him coming in contact with any sickees (hence the isolation). In which case they probably wouldnt trust used legos. I've had family deal with this before.

Got it. Thanks

Also, I do not think we should limit our contributions based on what others have pledged to give. Any duplicates will go to a Children's Hospital, per the newspaper article:

The Legos would then be delivered to Gavin

I am new to investing so I don't have a bunch of inventory, but what to people think about pooling some money to buy this kid a death star? 20 people @ $20. Paypal OP and have him order the set to his house since its local.

If we can get 20 to pledge and pay, I'll make the purchase and deliver it to him.  Count me in for one of the $20 donors.  Please post to this thread if you are interested in doing this and if we can get enough support I'll make it happen.  This would be the ultimate gift for this courageous young boy.

I am in. A few questions for clarification:

1. Do you know if they only want NIB sets ?

2. Do they have a LEGO store nearby ? I still have a few of those free Christmas PAB boxes lying around. They expire at the end of March though.

Im not sure what kind of treatment he's receiving but his immune system may be so weak they dont risk him coming in contact with any sickees (hence the isolation). In which case they probably wouldnt trust used legos. I've had family deal with this before.

I think they would prefer NIB sets based on isocleas' point above.  I'll confirm that tonight.

Unfortunately they live about 90 minutes from the nearest LEGO store so they probably wouldn't be able to use the PAB boxes based on his current condition.

As Darth_Raichu pointed out, duplicates won't go to waste.  In fact, I'm sure Gavin would love to know that others in his situation are benefiting from this cause.

Thanks again everyone!  

And there is always ewok village, r2-d2, Arkham Asylum etc. if enough donors don't step forward. Think of it this way, sending him a set already in your possesion is going to cost you both loss of opportunity on the set plus shipping costs. Pooling for a new set gets free shipping and no loss of opportunity...