LEGO Flash Mob - Bone Cancer Child

BrickLegacy

If we can get 20 to pledge and pay, I'll make the purchase and deliver it to him.  Count me in for one of the $20 donors.  Please post to this thread if you are interested in doing this and if we can get enough support I'll make it happen.  This would be the ultimate gift for this courageous young boy.

I'm in for a donation.  PM me your PayPal e-mail address so I can send the donation.

New to Brickpicker,

Came out of the dark ages about 3 years ago.  Currently building inventory. 

I am working on building a business model to help kids like this out.  One aspect of the business will be taking in used Lego to resell which will provide funding for NIB sets.

So far all of my local Childrens Hospitals (St Louis area) cannot accept used Lego for reasons already described above.

I would also like to offer my services to hospitals looking to turn over their used inventory into fresh NIB Sets.

I am looking for community opinion on this matter.

I will be a for profit entity, that gives heavily to children in need of Lego enjoyment.

Thanks for any opinions provided

Scott - BrickElements

If we can get 20 to pledge and pay, I'll make the purchase and deliver it to him.  Count me in for one of the $20 donors.  Please post to this thread if you are interested in doing this and if we can get enough support I'll make it happen.  This would be the ultimate gift for this courageous young boy.

I think they would prefer NIB sets based on isocleas' point above.  I'll confirm that tonight.

Unfortunately they live about 90 minutes from the nearest LEGO store so they probably wouldn't be able to use the PAB boxes based on his current condition.

As Darth_Raichu pointed out, duplicates won't go to waste.  In fact, I'm sure Gavin would love to know that others in his situation are benefiting from this cause.

Thanks again everyone!  

Pool $20 each and buy him a DEATHSTAR!

New to Brickpicker,

Came out of the dark ages about 3 years ago.  Currently building inventory. 

I am working on building a business model to help kids like this out.  One aspect of the business will be taking in used Lego to resell which will provide funding for NIB sets.

So far all of my local Childrens Hospitals (St Louis area) cannot accept used Lego for reasons already described above.

I would also like to offer my services to hospitals looking to turn over their used inventory into fresh NIB Sets.

I am looking for community opinion on this matter.

I will be a for profit entity, that gives heavily to children in need of Lego enjoyment.

Thanks for any opinions provided

Scott - BrickElements

Really dont think it would be profitable to be honest . I think you should just do it as a non profit to help the kids!

Here is a quick rundown of what everyone has pledged.  This is a pretty impressive list for just one day of awareness.

• lego rules - misc. set
  • Bold-arrow - misc. set
  • brickinifinite - misc. set
  • brickcrazyhouse - mixels (set of 9)
  • exciter1 - Captain America vs Hydra, Doc Ock Truck Heist
  • isocleas - Chima, Hero Factory, Star Wars, Super Heroes
  • holleman67 - spidey cycle or Sponge Bob
  • leaningjowler - one or more of..Ultra Striker, Corporate Alliance Tank Droid, Spidey Cycle
  • DirtyZ - $20 DS donation
  • BrickLegacy - Millenium Falcon + $20 DS Donation
  • Ed Mack - BP donation or a few personal sets
  • Quacs - $20 DS donation
Let me know if I missed anyone or if I need to make any updates to this list.

So far we have at least a dozen sets and $60 towards the Death Star!  Thanks to everyone for their support!
  • Like 1

Pool $20 each and buy him a DEATHSTAR!

Really dont think it would be profitable to be honest . I think you should just do it as a non profit to help the kids!

Thank you for the input.  The lose Lego turnover to buy NIB sets for donation is only one apect of the business.

Reading thru the posts from just this one occassion leads me to believe I could be buried in lose lego for donation purposes.

Since most hospitals or kids in need like this young lad cannot risk "contaminated" lose lego I can help fill the gap to take donations and in return provide new sets or funds for new sets.  Not mention I could get the chance to build a lot of sets.  Win win. 

Cons - Extremely timeconsuming.  to date I have sorted approx 150lbs of lego.  It takes a while...pulling sets from loose lots is quite tedious as well.

Traditional (if you can call it that) Lego investment for resale will provide nearly all of the profit.

I just want to use my joy of Lego and building a business from it to help others enjoy a toy that still makes me smile.

Just spit-balling ideas.

Been chasing the idea of my own Lego Side business for about a year.

We are up to $140 for the Death Star.  That's incredible!

If you would like to donate to the DS fund, please PM me with the amount you'd like to give.  I'll coordinate everything once we hit our goal.

In the meantime, I'll be heading to the event tonight to give him a set from our personal collection, meet the family, and try and gather some intel for what other kinds of sets he might need, want...or better yet, DREAM of having.

Thanks to all who have pledged so far.  Keep spreading the word out!

• Like 1

I'm in for $20.   Are we doing this by Paypal?  Where do I send the cashola?

Quick question though.  The Death Star is not doubt a great set.  But what does it offer in playability compared to maybe Technic Sets.

More importantly Technic sets with motors controllers received etc?

What about buying an EV3 with supporting sets for parts.

Why do I suggest that?  Well we can help this young lad in a couple of ways...escape boredom and in the process he might start to pick up interests in robotics engineering math and/or programming.

When my nephew was 8 (10th birthday next month) we, grandparents and I, gave him the 8043 Excavator Set.

His interest in all things moveable with gears exploded.  The following Christmas I made mention of a deal for the EV3 from Barnes and Noble to my Brother he jumped on it.

My nephew has grown his engineering knowledge by leaps and bounds.

Just before Christmas he asked his parents where the BEST engineering school was.  Come on how do you beat that?

He will be 10 soon and he loves building.  I like to take a little credit for influencing him with Lego.  Been buying him sets for a good 6 years.

Thanks

Scott - Brickelements

Should we not consider something similar?

We only need $110 more to reach our Death Star goal!

I'll PM everyone with the paypal address once we he hit the goal.  For those of you who pledged sets, I'll PM you the shipping address tonight.

You guys are awesome.  I'll try and take some pictures of the surprise birthday event and post them later tonight.

• Like 1

Bricklegacy, you may want to find out if Gavin already owns a DS (it has been around for a while). Based on the pictures in that article, he also owns several sets from the LEGO Movie. In case he already has a DS, the Sea Cow may be an alternate for the gift.

Good call.  I'll definitely gather some intel tonight on what he currently has, what he received, and his ultimate "dream set".

I met Gavin's Aunt today.  I can't begin to tell you how happy she was to hear what everyone is doing for him.  She was extremely grateful.

She did give me Gavin's home address so I'll PM everyone that wanted to mail him something.  I told her to warn his mom that some random packages will start arriving over the next couple of weeks :-)

I also told her about the Death Star.  She couldn't believe that either!  $65 more until we reach our goal!  She suggested that I wait until after the event is over tonight before making the purchase just in case he receives one.  I will send her an email to see if he got one.  He did receive some bigger sets, but not a Death Star from what I could tell.

Here are some pictures from the event.  I think this will be a birthday to remember :-)

Gavin_001.jpg

Gavin_002.jpg

• Like 5