eBay Spring Seller Update

That would make sense - but the numbers uploaded wasn't the problem there - I have 99.52%. So I was dinged twice, but we are talking like 4-5 transactions. The handling time was the bigger one there, but that wouldn't affect the carrier scan.

Do not pay attention to the percentage.  Each percentage is only true for its particular section.  You need to calculate the actual numbers to get 88% (I do not know why you were missing 1 transaction though):

88.08% = 554 / 629 * 100%

554 = 629 - ((626 - 578) + (626 - 600))

counted transaction = total transaction - ((trans w/ tracking - w/ handling time) + (trans w/ tracking - w/ carrier validation))

The only way to make that percentage works ;)

88.08% 554

99.52% 626

91.89% 578

95.39%

Do not pay attention to the percentage.  Each percentage is only true for its particular section.  You need to calculate the actual numbers to get 88% (I do not know why you were missing 1 transaction though):

88.08% 554

99.52% 626

91.89% 578

95.39%

The report is usually off by a few. I believe that it is due to sold items pending, that are not yet shipped.

counted transaction = total transaction - ((trans w/ tracking - w/ handling time) + (trans w/ tracking - w/ carrier validation))

The only way to make that percentage works ;)

88.08% 554

99.52% 626

91.89% 578

95.39%

Hmm ok I see what you mean. Hopefully if that report ever works it will validate that. I had an influx of sales this past weekend so my defect rate has fallen a little bit.

DoNot, keep in mind that if you're on a 3 month cycle (which I expect you are at your rate of sales) that your first period that "counts" is May 1 to July 31 (defects during that time, evaluated on August 20).

You might see if you can make that webinar today, it may help clarify some things and people may have some of the same questions/issues you're dealing with that'll get some answers.

(If you can't make the time, they usually put the recorded webinar up in a day or two afterwards).

I agree that it's ridiculous to punish us just for a case being opened, even if it is resolved to the buyers satisfaction (such as lost packages). Another interesting thing I just noticed is that DSR ratings of 3 are considered a defect, where before it was just ones and twos.

DoNot, keep in mind that if you're on a 3 month cycle (which I expect you are at your rate of sales) that your first period that "counts" is May 1 to July 31 (defects during that time, evaluated on August 20).

You might see if you can make that webinar today, it may help clarify some things and people may have some of the same questions/issues you're dealing with that'll get some answers.

(If you can't make the time, they usually put the recorded webinar up in a day or two afterwards).

I can't but I bookmarked it as I will watch it when they throw it up there for sure.

I really don't a problem with any of the changes if it was just easier to understand where they get their stuff.

I did notice, there are several tracking items that I look up in Ebay and don't show a scan. I look at the tracking number on USPS website - show delivered. I need to figure out whats doing that.

The bulk shipping tool does all mine so I don't understand whats not working there.

I did notice, there are several tracking items that I look up in Ebay and don't show a scan. I look at the tracking number on USPS website - show delivered. I need to figure out whats doing that.

Sometimes the status never updates automatically. If you click on the tracking number link it will open a modal window and kick off a manual sync of tracking. It usually works but not always.

So here is some fun knowledge:

Lets say you have 10 items to one person. You DO get dinged per item as far as tracking goes.

I found the source of mine (still haven't found out why it says it was late) but it says tracking was late for 11 items - all to the same seller - in my report. I got dinged for every single one.

What probably happened is that guy bought some stuff, told me he would buy more, and I waited to ship it. I got dinged on every item because of it.

So here is some fun knowledge:

Lets say you have 10 items to one person. You DO get dinged per item as far as tracking goes.

I found the source of mine (still haven't found out why it says it was late) but it says tracking was late for 11 items - all to the same seller - in my report. I got dinged for every single one.

What probably happened is that guy bought some stuff, told me he would buy more, and I waited to ship it. I got dinged on every item because of it.

Yes, that would be correct. You can try to have them wait to pay until they are finished with their purchases (the clock starts once they pay).

I've been searching and found no answer that I am happy with so I bring my question to our resident experts. With Ebay listings, if I post on figure with multiple quantities, does that constitute as more than one listing? As of right now I have not opened a store so I have 50 free listings per month before I get charged. I have plenty of multiples of minifigures and need to know how they stand. This will help me figure out if it would be cost effective to open a basic store via ebay. 

For purposes of listing limits in dollars, I know that each individual item in a multi-quantity listing counts - so if your dollar limit is $5000 and you list two $2500 computers in one listing, you've hit your limit for the month.

For purposes of quantity, I just don't know - my smaller i.d.s without stores I use only for certain clearance, and none of it's multi-quantity. If you don't find anyone who knows for sure, just run the experiment -- check how many listings you have left this month, list a multi-quantity item of 2, and see what your listing limit on number of items is reduced by. I'm guessing each will count against your total just like dollars, but that is just a guess.

Ok I am refilling my inventory on ebay as most of my stuff ended. I am showing that they are counting each item individually but when I make a listing with 2+ items they are only charging me the $.30 insertion fee once regardless of the quantity put in the listing. That was my main concern. 

Yes, you'll only get hit with one fee - it's just your listing limits and/or free listings remaining that you need to worry about.

I have an acquaintance who, back when they were starting to implement listing limits on the larger, longer-time sellers, suddenly ran up against hers because she bought a LOT of a few items, and went ahead and listed them all on eBay at once, figuring why not put her accurate inventory numbers in there. She hadn't ever hit her listing limits before (I've never hit mine) but she did then, suddenly and without warning!  :shocked:

Needless to say, she corrected that for the next month, listing only a few dozen of each of the new items and then adding inventory to the ones that sold as she went along.

One thing i hate with this is that if you ask a seller where is my item it automatically opens  a case .I once asked a seller where is my item?and he sent me back a nasty email about opening cases with ebay without contacting him first. I never meant to open a case.I think what happened is that when you click on contact a seller and they give you options of different issues you may have and you click where's my stuff that automatically opens a case.If a seller gets dinged for that it's stupid and unfair because it's a question not a complaint.I may be wrong but that's what I remmember happening

It does open a case, and will count against a sellers defect rating in some cases. However, it's extremely unprofessional for a seller to bother you with their behind the scenes eBay problems.

I was just pointing out that even though I never meant to open a case a simple question to a seller opened a case even without me meaning too. I think that stinks.A defect should only be if a  buyer is unhappy not because of a simple question. As for the seller being unprofessional you are right and i left him a negative for being a jerk.

I was just pointing out that even though I never meant to open a case a simple question to a seller opened a case even without me meaning too. I think that stinks.A defect should only be if a  buyer is unhappy not because of a simple question. As for the seller being unprofessional you are right and i left him a negative for being a jerk.

eBay's metrics indicate that certain problems will make a high percentage of buyers unhappy enough to decrease their buying on eBay, from any seller, in the future. That's why they made those things defects.

Not every single buyer reacts the same way, but all eBay can go on is percentages and probabilities, like any large corporation or government. As such, some sellers will get some defects that they don't "deserve".

It's definitely not a good system now, though, because you're not the only buyer who is chided or shrieked at for "opening a case" and that sort of behavior makes buyers even LESS likely to return to eBay. They're going to have to try to fix that aspect of it, and the only direction that fix is going to go is more restriction on buyer/seller communication in future.

Yes, you'll only get hit with one fee - it's just your listing limits and/or free listings remaining that you need to worry about.

I have an acquaintance who, back when they were starting to implement listing limits on the larger, longer-time sellers, suddenly ran up against hers because she bought a LOT of a few items, and went ahead and listed them all on eBay at once, figuring why not put her accurate inventory numbers in there. She hadn't ever hit her listing limits before (I've never hit mine) but she did then, suddenly and without warning!  :shocked:

Needless to say, she corrected that for the next month, listing only a few dozen of each of the new items and then adding inventory to the ones that sold as she went along.

I have a question about listings where you can offer different quantities, colors, sizes, etc., within the one listing. Do you have to have a store to have this listing option? Do they still count as just one listing fee?

I have a question about listings where you can offer different quantities, colors, sizes, etc., within the one listing. Do you have to have a store to have this listing option? Do they still count as just one listing fee?

I don't know a lot about this multi-variation type listing because I don't use it for selling (as a buyer, I find it very irritating as inevitably the color/size I want is no longer available in the listing, so I tend to avoid even looking at these and move on to singe color/size listings).

It does count as one listing fee, it is available only in certain categories, and I don't know whether a store is required.

My apologies if this has been covered...but here is an example of a glitch that resulted in a transaction defect:

A.) Buyer Opens Case for Item Not Rec'd

B.) I respond with Tracking Info

C.) Buyer eventually finds the item at neighbor's

D.) Buyer closes case

I rec'd a transaction defect bc the buyer opened a case, despite working with the buyer to help them locate their item. Had I escalated this case at Part B, the case would have been decided in my favor (tracking info showed d/c) and not rec'd a defect. Since the buyer closed the case on their own after finding the item, I still rec'd a ding for transaction defect simply bc they opened a case in the first place. If this were the holiday season, I'd surely call CS to see if this one should be removed, but at this point, it has no ill effect on any of my ratings. I guess the lesson is to escalate to eBay ASAP the moment I know I've fulfilled all obligations.

My apologies if this has been covered...but here is an example of a glitch that resulted in a transaction defect:

A.) Buyer Opens Case for Item Not Rec'd

B.) I respond with Tracking Info

C.) Buyer eventually finds the item at neighbor's

D.) Buyer closes case

I rec'd a transaction defect bc the buyer opened a case, despite working with the buyer to help them locate their item. Had I escalated this case at Part B, the case would have been decided in my favor (tracking info showed d/c) and not rec'd a defect. Since the buyer closed the case on their own after finding the item, I still rec'd a ding for transaction defect simply bc they opened a case in the first place. If this were the holiday season, I'd surely call CS to see if this one should be removed, but at this point, it has no ill effect on any of my ratings. I guess the lesson is to escalate to eBay ASAP the moment I know I've fulfilled all obligations.

That is the recommendation when you "know" you'll win a case (yeah, I know, sometimes I "know" I'm right and the eBay CS on the other end of the line has the IQ of cheddar cheese and doesn't agree) - but packages showing delivered on tracking SHOULD be a no-brainer for escalation, I agree.

Edited to add: On these tracking ones, you can call CS and they will check the tracking and escalate and close the case for you right over the phone, btw.

• 10 months later...

2015 Spring Seller Updates are here.  

In short, effective May 1st, these things will happen:

- Insertion fee credits for sold auction listings

- Additional $1 charge for 1 & 3 days auction listings

- Store owners get additional 100 free auction listings under Collectible categories ONLY

- Category changes

- etc

Read the details here:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2015/index.html