eBay Spring Seller Update

Wow Ebay.

I mean, the defect rating may be a good thing and I certainly would like to keep myself high up in the Best match so hopefully this will give me more of an edge since I am riding a 3 month span with perfect detailed seller ratings.

However, the holiday returns stuff is a load of Bull. you just can't offer returns like that when your system is SO in favor of buyers opening cases. I have hassle free returns, so hopefully my restocking fee will prevent too many - but you can still have people lying to get a return after they have already opened something up.

What this is going to do is encourage a bunch of returns near the end of January because people realize they spent too much money. Selling figures and things that don't come sealed, there is really no way to tell if they used it or damaged it, etc.

December is really stressful in the toy business. I would really rather not be cleaning up everything until the beginning of February.

The new "Defect rate" looks like it could be a disaster. The Return initiated due to not as described isn't fair. Any time that someone wants to return something they almost always use this as a claim, to avoid having to pay for return shipping. Although it does look as if they won't be able to ding you for shipping charges any longer.

• Detailed seller rating of 1, 2 or 3 for item as described
  • Detailed seller rating of 1 for shipping time
  • Negative or neutral feedback
  • Return initiated for a reason that indicates the item was not as described
  • eBay Money Back Guarantee (previously known as eBay Buyer Protection) or PayPal Purchase Protection case opened for an item not received or an item not as described
  • Seller-cancelled transactions

However, the holiday returns stuff is a load of Bull. you just can't offer returns like that when your system is SO in favor of buyers opening cases. I have hassle free returns, so hopefully my restocking fee will prevent too many - but you can still have people lying to get a return after they have already opened something up.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you enforce a restocking fee and how much?  That sounds like a good idea.

So there is a longer return window for "holiday" purchases but I didn't see when ebay considers that this "holiday" period begins.  Did anyone else find that?

I was pretty reluctant to offer any returns until ebay made it mandatory to get the 20% FVF discount.  Honestly I have not had any issues with this because buyers have to pay for return shipping if they decide they didn't want something and this usually deters them from returning anything just because they changed their mind or found it for a lower price.  Of course I probably don't sell at the same volume some of you do so you may encounter this more often.

And so the slaves of the eBay Policy Gods must adapt and obey. Lame.

RIP Perfect 5.0 DSR's in every category.

If they wanted longer return periods, sellers should be compensated for bearing more risk, i.e. 40% Discount on FVF. Now they ask sellers to bear more risk in order to achieve the same level of FVF discount.

So there is a longer return window for "holiday" purchases but I didn't see when ebay considers that this "holiday" period begins.  Did anyone else find that?

I was pretty reluctant to offer any returns until ebay made it mandatory to get the 20% FVF discount.  Honestly I have not had any issues with this because buyers have to pay for return shipping if they decide they didn't want something and this usually deters them from returning anything just because they changed their mind or found it for a lower price.  Of course I probably don't sell at the same volume some of you do so you may encounter this more often.

Click the link on the first post and read to about 2/3 of the page:

• Like 1

Every update many sellers freak out and predict the End of the eBay World.

So far, the sky has not fallen. Breathe, people. :-) The strong will adapt and survive, the weak shall perish. Nothing different this year.

Keep in mind that in the returns process eBay has put the buyer under the microscope, too. Like Amazon, when eBay gets a squirrely buyer they do take steps to quell them, starting with revoking their Buyer Protection privileges for a period of time and ending with banning them if need be.

For the person asking above, the extended return period starts Nov 1 and they can return up to January 31, so in effect it is possible you'll get a return 90 days after the sale if it happens on November 1.

Note: When eBay implements something like this, the next step is often to make it all year long, so don't be surprised if you see mandatory 90 day returns in the Spring Seller Update next year (at least to gain the TRS Plus status and discounts).

If the buyer abuses the return (sends back something you didn't send him, sends it back with pieces missing) and you have a good track record as a seller, eBay will back you.

• Like 1

What I don't like is that ebay is treating me like I'm a retailer.  I am not.  I know some people have stores on ebay.  Retailers have protections against return fraud, I don't have that luxury as I'm selling stuff out of my basement as a hobby.  If someone opens up a Lego set and returns it 90 days later, will ebay credit me for the amount of the sale, or are they going to credit me the retail value of the item?  How much hassle is it going to be to get help from them to begin with?  Would be a real tough pill to swallow if someone returns an opened Vampyre Castle they bought from me sealed for $200, and ebay is only going to credit me the original retail value.

• Like 1

What I don't like is that ebay is treating me like I'm a retailer.  I am not.  I know some people have stores on ebay.  Retailers have protections against return fraud, I don't have that luxury as I'm selling stuff out of my basement as a hobby.  If someone opens up a Lego set and returns it 90 days later, will ebay credit me for the amount of the sale, or are they going to credit me the retail value of the item?  How much hassle is it going to be to get help from them to begin with?  Would be a real tough pill to swallow if someone returns an opened Vampyre Castle they bought from me sealed for $200, and ebay is only going to credit me the original retail value.

eBay doesn't give two hoots about the original retail value. If they decide you're legit and believe you, they're going to either allow you to refuse to refund once you receive the return, or they're going to pay the buyer out of their own pocket.

If they decide you don't have a good track record, they may very well force you to refund, and that also will be the amount it sold for, not the original retail value.

Hobby sellers don't get a free pass, they are expected to maintain certain minimum standards to sell on eBay at all, and greater standards if they want TRS Plus status. 

eBay doesn't give two hoots about the original retail value. If they decide you're legit and believe you, they're going to either allow you to refuse to refund once you receive the return, or they're going to pay the buyer out of their own pocket.

If they decide you don't have a good track record, they may very well force you to refund, and that also will be the amount it sold for, not the original retail value.

Hobby sellers don't get a free pass, they are expected to maintain certain minimum standards to sell on eBay at all, and greater standards if they want TRS Plus status. 

I'm not asking for a free pass.  I just think it's wrong to hold *any* ebay seller to the same policies that actual professional retailers implement.  If you buy something that's supposed to be brand new and it arrives open and broken, then yes you have a case and you should get your money back.  However, I don't think I should have to deal with taking back an item 90 days after I sell it, 2 weeks is plenty for someone to decide if they want it or not.  But hey, that's just my opinion.  Ebay's going to do whatever they want.

At least we have bricklink...

One thing caught my eye: under the new "defect" rating seller cancellations will count against us.

Right now, if a buyer asks me to cancel the transaction, I simply cancel it for them, they accept, I get my fees back, no harm done.

If those "seller initiated cancellations" are now going to count against me, that's annoying. I'm signed up for the Thursday seminar, so hopefully either I or someone will be able to ask that question.

What they NEED is buyer initiated cancellation requests, as on Amazon, and they've needed it for awhile now.

(OTOH, I do LIKE that seller initiated cancellations will count against the yahoos who didn't get the price they wanted at auction, or who don't have the item in hand.)

• Like 2

I'm not asking for a free pass.  I just think it's wrong to hold *any* ebay seller to the same policies that actual professional retailers implement.  If you buy something that's supposed to be brand new and it arrives open and broken, then yes you have a case and you should get your money back.  However, I don't think I should have to deal with taking back an item 90 days after I sell it, 2 weeks is plenty for someone to decide if they want it or not.  But hey, that's just my opinion.  Ebay's going to do whatever they want.

At least we have bricklink...

The 90 day returns aren't required for everyone, just for those who want TRS plus status. If you want to be called a Top Rated Seller, eBay expects you are a professional seller or want to be mistaken for one. ;-)

For hobby sellers who want to meet less stringent standards, they allow that too.

One thing caught my eye: under the new "defect" rating seller cancellations will count against us.

Right now, if a buyer asks me to cancel the transaction, I simply cancel it for them, they accept, I get my fees back, no harm done.

If those "seller initiated cancellations" are now going to count against me, that's annoying. I'm signed up for the Thursday seminar, so hopefully either I or someone will be able to ask that question.

What they NEED is buyer initiated cancellation requests, as on Amazon, and they've needed it for awhile now.

Agreed - that is asinine. I have NEVER canceled a transaction on my own.

Problem with managed returns (what you have to have to use a restocking fee) is that they can claim whatever the crap they want when returning it.

Every update many sellers freak out and predict the End of the eBay World.

So far, the sky has not fallen. Breathe, people. :-) The strong will adapt and survive, the weak shall perish. Nothing different this year.

Keep in mind that in the returns process eBay has put the buyer under the microscope, too. Like Amazon, when eBay gets a squirrely buyer they do take steps to quell them, starting with revoking their Buyer Protection privileges for a period of time and ending with banning them if need be.

For the person asking above, the extended return period starts Nov 1 and they can return up to January 31, so in effect it is possible you'll get a return 90 days after the sale if it happens on November 1.

Note: When eBay implements something like this, the next step is often to make it all year long, so don't be surprised if you see mandatory 90 day returns in the Spring Seller Update next year (at least to gain the TRS Plus status and discounts).

If the buyer abuses the return (sends back something you didn't send him, sends it back with pieces missing) and you have a good track record as a seller, eBay will back you.

I am more angry at myself for being too comfortable with the 20% off fvf carrot. I have been using eBay long enough to know better than getting too attached to an eBay feature. I can see the potential problems with the 90days return policy and will need to weigh the proper approach to adapt to this.

Agreed - that is asinine. I have NEVER canceled a transaction on my own.

Problem with managed returns (what you have to have to use a restocking fee) is that they can claim whatever the crap they want when returning it.

Yes, they can, but you do have some recourse if they're making things up.

I don't personally use a restocking fee and won't, I think it causes more problems than it's financially worth to me, but if the buyer claims not as described, you get the item back, and it is as described, report the buyer and get on the phone to eBay.

eBay will look at your track record, at the buyer's track record, and make a decision. Might not always go in your favor, but for good sellers with few problems it will more of the time, and for abusive buyers with bad return records they'll be sanctioned one way or another.

"The defect rate won't affect your status until you have transactions with defects with at least 8 different buyers (at least 5 different buyers to impact Top Rated status) within your evaluation period."

It sounds like you won't get dinged until you have a history of transaction defects?

The 90 day returns aren't required for everyone, just for those who want TRS plus status. If you want to be called a Top Rated Seller, eBay expects you are a professional seller or want to be mistaken for one. ;-)

For hobby sellers who want to meet less stringent standards, they allow that too.

I was just about to say the same thing.

If you want to continue selling out of your basement (or for those of us in Southern California, our garage), go right ahead.  Okay, so I won't get the highest match on "Best Match."  If I want to continue to grow this business, and become bigger than a hobby seller, then I'm going to have to use some business sense and figure out ways around it, until it doesn't affect me negatively.

Competitive price, listings that stand out, etc.

Maybe I'm not the the smartest guy, or a big time seller, but if I'm pricing it just slightly better than the big guy, I'm probably going to get a couple of sales.