eBay Spring Seller Update

I have my new dashboard and am well under 1% on defects, so as expected this change, like so many others, will have little effect on me.

It's only retroactive for those who don't sell enough to be on a 3 month lookback cycle. For those on the 12 month cycle, yes, it's retroactive. For me, my first period of time that will "count" is May 1 through July 31.

You are lucky then.

Mine is at 1.5%. Mostly because Ebay has people open cases for no freakin reason which they need to change. The greatest thing about mine? All but 3 of my defects were not my fault - they were USPS. I had 6 cases for where's my item because 5 of them just got delayed like 5 days in the middle of shipment and the other one was lost.

Its pretty stupid too because once they open that case, I have already lost whether I fix it (obviously I do with 100% feedback) or not.

What this means is I am probably going to carry something cheap and sell at even or at a loss thats easy to ship to keep my rating up. If Ebay didn't push you to open cases, I would be at like .5%.

You are lucky then.

Mine is at 1.5%. Mostly because Ebay has people open cases for no freakin reason which they need to change. The greatest thing about mine? All but 3 of my defects were not my fault - they were USPS. I had 6 cases for where's my item because 5 of them just got delayed like 5 days in the middle of shipment and the other one was lost.

Its pretty stupid too because once they open that case, I have already lost whether I fix it (obviously I do with 100% feedback) or not.

What this means is I am probably going to carry something cheap and sell at even or at a loss thats easy to ship to keep my rating up. If Ebay didn't push you to open cases, I would be at like .5%.

Similar to your last paragraph except I'm building my ratings, I bought 30 friends poly bags on clearance to build my ratingsand transaction history up. Prior to that I have been doing sealed sets with limited parting out

You are lucky then.

That doesn't leave much wiggle room at all. We will now all be vulnerable to lose the TRS from time to time (yes, even the frog). It can take just 1 buyer with multiple purchases. There will be no warning, no real wrong doing - and you are done.

That doesn't leave much wiggle room at all. We will now all be vulnerable to lose the TRS from time to time (yes, even the frog). It can take just 1 buyer with multiple purchases. There will be no warning, no real wrong doing - and you are done.

I.believe a buyer with multiple transactions only can cause one defect. Don't quote me on that though

A bunch of low priced items is no guarantee either. I have usually had more headaches on small sales than on large ones.

Technically if it started right now mine would be lost because of the tracking. I am not getting their tracking stuff at all - I have to figure that out.

Ill post this because hopefully someone will be able to help me out with this:

88.08% 554 90.00% 99.52% 626   91.89% 578   95.39%

So I always upload tracking. The only time I don't is if they buy multiple items and Ebay doesn't let me combine them because of their shotty user interface. Thats just laziness, but I have started changing that. 99.52% is almost all of them anyway.

Tracking uploading during handling time confuses me though. I thought if they bought something on Thursday, no matter what time, I had to upload tracking by Friday at Midnight, right?

And if they buy something on Friday, Sat or Sun, it has to be shipped by Monday at Midnight?

I do that. No idea how thats that low.

As far as validated by carrier, all of them should be but Ebay doesn't pull the scans correctly because they are somewhat worthless. If you go into the "shipping labels" page, a bunch of mine just say "electronic shipping info received" but when I click on them, they are all delivered.

Any ideas people?

Technically if it started right now mine would be lost because of the tracking. I am not getting their tracking stuff at all - I have to figure that out.

So I always upload tracking. The only time I don't is if they buy multiple items and Ebay doesn't let me combine them because of their shotty user interface. Thats just laziness, but I have started changing that. 99.52% is almost all of them anyway.

Tracking uploading during handling time confuses me though. I thought if they bought something on Thursday, no matter what time, I had to upload tracking by Friday at Midnight, right?

And if they buy something on Friday, Sat or Sun, it has to be shipped by Monday at Midnight?

As far as validated by carrier, all of them should be but Ebay doesn't pull the scans correctly because they are somewhat worthless. If you go into the "shipping labels" page, a bunch of mine just say "electronic shipping info received" but when I click on them, they are all delivered.

Any ideas people?

You need to add the tracking number for each transaction (multiple purchases) within the handling time - That is the reason you are low on the tracking requirement.

This new defect rate is just absurd.  Buyers can open a case for anything with out actually contacting me first to try to resolve the problem.  I don't see how it's fair to ding the seller when I never had a chance to address the issue in the first place.  Why should this be considered a defect if the package gets lost by the carrier and I end up replacing or refunding the money to the seller?  Ebay is getting really greedy here trying to knock some sellers from top rated status.

Any ideas people?

554 = (626 - 578) + (626 - 600) meaning your performance is based on uploading tracking on time AND the carrier scanning your packages on time.  Basically, if you are late sending your package, you get dinged TWICE

Why should I be reprimanded for the incompetence of the carriers ?

554 = (626 - 578) + (626 - 600) meaning your performance is based on uploading tracking on time AND the carrier scanning your packages on time.  Basically, if you are late sending your package, you get dinged TWICE

Why should I be reprimanded for the incompetence of the carriers ?

See the following, this is what I was thinking of a bit ago:

Each transaction is counted only once toward your defect rate, regardless of the number of defects associated with it. For example, if a buyer leaves you a 3-star rating for item as described and a 1-star rating for shipping time for the same item, that transaction still only counts once toward your defect rate. That gives you more leeway and will allow you to focus on fine-tuning your overall service instead of individual buyer actions.

So if you miss uploading the tracking for whatever reason and then they open a "where the hell is my crap" case then you will only get one defect for that transactions.

So essentially if someone opens a stupid case then I won't feel so generous on helping them out when they tick me off since it won't get counted twice. You know those people who open the case the day after the buy it then want a refund for a scratch in the box. Maybe now I can tell them to leave me the hell alone haha

Each transaction is counted only once toward your defect rate, regardless of the number of defects associated with it. For example, if a buyer leaves you a 3-star rating for item as described and a 1-star rating for shipping time for the same item, that transaction still only counts once toward your defect rate. That gives you more leeway and will allow you to focus on fine-tuning your overall service instead of individual buyer actions.

So if you miss uploading the tracking for whatever reason and then they open a "where the hell is my crap" case then you will only get one defect for that transactions.

So essentially if someone opens a stupid case then I won't feel so generous on helping them out when they tick me off since it won't get counted twice. You know those people who open the case the day after the buy it then want a refund for a scratch in the box. Maybe now I can tell them to leave me the hell alone haha

What you wrote is true for defect rate.  However, I was responding to DNIIM's question on the tracking requirement for Top Seller.  You are expected to maintain certain level of tracking to maintain the TS status.  This is completely separate from the defect rate as tracking is basically between you, eBay, and your lovely carriers. 

DoNot, remember the midnight is pacific time, so if you uploaded any tracking late at night your time, it may have rolled over past that time PST.

Yes, each transaction only counts the first defect for that transaction.

You must upload tracking for every item if they are purchased separately and shipped in the same package - just keep using the same tracking number for all of them.

The tracking is NOT a defect - it only counts against your 90% for TRS plus status, it does not count in your defect rate (that must be <2% for TRS+ and <5% to keep you from getting sanctioned as a seller).

What you wrote is true for defect rate.  However, I was responding to DNIIM's question on the tracking requirement for Top Seller.  You are expected to maintain certain level of tracking to maintain the TS status.  This is completely separate from the defect rate as tracking is basically between you, eBay, and your lovely carriers. 

My fault, I just went back and re-read what was posted. I am trying to make sense of all of this myself so I'll stop before I confuse anyone else haha

Yet ebay claims that this is to create a better buyer experience. You have previously been encouraged by ebay to resolve any issues with a buyer (and doing that did benefit both you and the buyer), but now (since the damage can't get any worse, regardless of the problem), you can just tell them to go to hell. 

The tracking is NOT a defect - it only counts against your 90% for TRS plus status, it does not count in your defect rate (that must be <2% for TRS+ and <5% to keep you from getting sanctioned as a seller).

I hate to disagree with you frog, but tracking has always been a requirement for Top Rated status, not just for TR+ discount

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2014/sellerstandards.html#top_rated

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/top-rated.html#what

Yet ebay claims that this is to create a better buyer experience. You have previously been encouraged by ebay to resolve any issues with a buyer (and doing that did benefit both you and the buyer), but now (since the damage can't get any worse, regardless of the problem), you can just tell them to go to hell. 

Sure, try that out. While your defect rate can't increase, a report by the buyer can and will (if you are rude) not go well for you - especially if you find yourself with a borderline defect rate and eBay reviews your account.

5% defect rate is incredibly generous before eBay starts considering real sanctions. For those who want TRS plus, it takes work and will continue to take work.

They can still neg your feedback.

I hate to disagree with you frog, but tracking has always been a requirement for Top Rated status, not just TR+

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2014/sellerstandards.html#top_rated

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/top-rated.html#what

Nah, no worries - I'm not very up on the differences between TRS and plus - I have been TRS from the beginning of the program, and TRS+ from the beginning of THAT program, so thanks for the correction.

DoNot, remember the midnight is pacific time, so if you uploaded any tracking late at night your time, it may have rolled over past that time PST.

Yes, each transaction only counts the first defect for that transaction.

You must upload tracking for every item if they are purchased separately and shipped in the same package - just keep using the same tracking number for all of them.

Right - Im down at 88% though. So those multiple purchases aren't that many - not enough to explain this at all. That only happens on international purchases.

More importantly, I think something is messed up in ebay's multi shipping tool. I do ALL my domestic shipping through it and it puts in the tracking numbers. According to those rules posted about Pacific time etc, I shouldn't be missing any.

I ran the seller report thing so I guess I will wait to see what transactions it says I was missing and I will take a peak at it and try to trace back.

Im Central time so I shouldn't have an issue making Pacific time. Only thing I could think is if something was purchased at 11 PM pacific, it would be 1AM the next day for me. But I would still ship it that day as I do all my shipping the same time every day right after work. So Im confused.

Whatever I find out Ill report back.

Sure, try that out. While your defect rate can't increase, a report by the buyer can and will (if you are rude) not go well for you - especially if you find yourself with a borderline defect rate and eBay reviews your account.

5% defect rate is incredibly generous before eBay starts considering real sanctions. For those who want TRS plus, it takes work and will continue to take work.

I wasn't being literal about telling them that - but the incentive to resolve an issue has very much been lost. There are even instances now where the only way not to get dinged is to fight an opened case. In the past you would want to resolve open cases (since resolved ones didn't hurt your account). But now, any opened case counts (regardless of the reason), so the cost of just taking the hit has gone up.  

Right - Im down at 88% though. So those multiple purchases aren't that many - not enough to explain this at all. That only happens on international purchases.

More importantly, I think something is messed up in ebay's multi shipping tool. I do ALL my domestic shipping through it and it puts in the tracking numbers. According to those rules posted about Pacific time etc, I shouldn't be missing any.

I ran the seller report thing so I guess I will wait to see what transactions it says I was missing and I will take a peak at it and try to trace back.

Im Central time so I shouldn't have an issue making Pacific time. Only thing I could think is if something was purchased at 11 PM pacific, it would be 1AM the next day for me. But I would still ship it that day as I do all my shipping the same time every day right after work. So Im confused.

Whatever I find out Ill report back.

Look at my first response.  Basically, you were dinged twice for those missing tracking numbers: one for not uploading them and the other for missing the status from carrier (no tracking = no status)

Yeah, taking a hit on your defect rate (which you must keep at 2% or below to qualify for the TRS discount) for someone opening a case because the carrier lost or delayed delivery of the package is just ridiculous.  You will be punished up front even if you work with the seller to resolve the issue.  That's just a backwards way for ebay to track your performance as a seller.  It's something that is almost entirely out of your control.

Look at my first response.  Basically, you were dinged twice for those missing tracking numbers: one for not uploading them and the other for missing the status from carrier (no tracking = no status)

That would make sense - but the numbers uploaded wasn't the problem there - I have 99.52%. So I was dinged twice, but we are talking like 4-5 transactions. The handling time was the bigger one there, but that wouldn't affect the carrier scan.