Price Guide Update and Brickfolio Dataset Update

One obvious fact that people seem to leave in the background of their coments at times is that this site is currently free. FREE!! F-R-E-E! It just boggles my mind when people complain/whine about anything free, whether it`s a product or service, all the while seeming to expect a premium offering. Unrealisitc, no matter what medium you are refering to. Bascially you`re saying "Give me a premium product for free. Oh, and it`s really an inconvenience to have to wait, even though I`m not paying for it in the process." Where is the disconnect?

I obviously do not know what goes on in detail behind the scenes, but it should be apparent to people that it is a lot of work. Doesn`t matter how savvy Jeff is (not questioning your abilities by any means), it`s still a considerable amount of time and effort. And these guys offer this information to us for free! Now I`ve seen talk of a possible introduction of a premium member price, not sure if that it sitll up in the air, but if it is, who wouldn`t be happy to pay a bit to continue gaining access to this data? It`s very handy, and coming from 1 of how ever many thousands of others browse price pages in ebay and such, this is a far quicker, more efficitant, and accurate way of getting the same info. Kudos as always :thumbsup:

One obvious fact that people seem to leave in the background of their coments at times is that this site is currently free. FREE!! F-R-E-E! It just boggles my mind when people complain/whine about anything free, whether it`s a product or service, all the while seeming to expect a premium offering. Unrealisitc, no matter what medium you are refering to. Bascially you`re saying "Give me a premium product for free. Oh, and it`s really an inconvenience to have to wait, even though I`m not paying for it in the process." Where is the disconnect?

I obviously do not know what goes on in detail behind the scenes, but it should be apparent to people that it is a lot of work. Doesn`t matter how savvy Jeff is (not questioning your abilities by any means), it`s still a considerable amount of time and effort. And these guys offer this information to us for free! Now I`ve seen talk of a possible introduction of a premium member price, not sure if that it sitll up in the air, but if it is, who wouldn`t be happy to pay a bit to continue gaining access to this data? It`s very handy, and coming from 1 of how ever many thousands of others browse price pages in ebay and such, this is a far quicker, more efficitant, and accurate way of getting the same info. Kudos as always :thumbsup:

What confuses me though - Jeff is using TeraPeak data and paying thousands per month in subscription fees, and they cannot provide even basic level of service predictability-wise? Or it is not TeraPeak issue, but rather eBay itself?

Oh, and don't forget the fries.  I want fries with that.  

Thank you for the support and I do agree with you, but I also do agree with justgod as well.  The site is indeed a service, and I would like it to be one that can be trusted and counted on.  It does bother (especially me), that I can't forecast to have the update to everyone by no later than the 10th of the month.  Ed and I have had conversations about dumping the other regions and just going back to just US only.  It was obviously much cheaper for us and the reliability was much greater.  Don't get excited about that now, we are not changing anything like that, but it is annoying.

What confuses me though - Jeff is using TeraPeak data and paying thousands per month in subscription fees, and they cannot provide even basic level of service predictability-wise? Or it is not TeraPeak issue, but rather eBay itself?

There have been plenty of conversations about how and why and this and that, but I have no idea what is a true story or not.  All I know is that yes we do pay thousands and thousands for this data and can't get reliable service.

There have been plenty of conversations about how and why and this and that, but I have no idea what is a true story or not.  All I know is that yes we do pay thousands and thousands for this data and can't get reliable service.

I am guessing they are using their monopolistic position - it's not like you can go anywhere else for the same, so they have no incentive to improve things...

I really don't know if any other site/company/person aggregates eBay's data like we do...at such a massive clip.  On topic...I know Jeff tries his best to get the data out each month.  He doesn't get any help from me and to sub it out is not possible.  There are many things Jeff does sub out and most of the time he has to redo what others F-up.  This site is very finicky and has more data and code than most, so to let some other person mess with it will not happen.  Even if we charged for the site, it probably wouldn't change the inability of Terapeak/eBay to give us the proper data and on time.  

You guys rock and the site rocks. People can go do their own due diligence if they want it right now. The site is free folks! Now if the site had the brickpicker had the guide as part of a paid service then i beleive expectations would be different. I love it(sarcasm) when people complain about something that is free. This is why i charge fees for my advice, folks take it more serious when they pay for it.

• 4 months later...

I have run the September 2014 update in the price guide.  I need to continue to review, but overall looks pretty solid.  Saw quite a few Star Wars increases.  Big gain on the #10179, up over 14% and nearing $3600, an all time high.  Star Wars also is continuing to take over the Brick Index, now holding 13 of the top 20 spots. Have you unloaded your Star Wars sets?

• Like 1

I have run the September 2014 update in the price guide.  I need to continue to review, but overall looks pretty solid.  Saw quite a few Star Wars increases.  Big gain on the #10179, up over 14% and nearing $3600, an all time high.  Star Wars also is continuing to take over the Brick Index, now holding 13 of the top 20 spots. Have you unloaded your Star Wars sets?

That's amazing. I never thought that the MF would increase over 14% in one month. Did you see any other SW sets that had big gains over the last month?

That's amazing. I never thought that the MF would increase over 14% in one month. Did you see any other SW sets that had big gains over the last month?

These sets all had gains of 10% or more

Republic Frigate   30242-1
Cad Bane's Speeder   8128-1
Clone Turbo Tank   75028-1
Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon
Utapau Troopers   75036-1
Kashyyyk Troopers   75035-1
Twin-Pod Cloud Car & Bespin
Clone Turbo Tank   8098-1

Are there any plans to include the graphs for UK data into the product descriptions - sold qty and sold value?

The UK value data set is great, and really helpful so thanks for including it. It does show some big variations vs USA info, so just wondering.

There will be enhancements to the price guide pages to include graphs for the other locations

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...