TRU BOGO 50 - February 7-13

@rtisan

To each their own. I don't have to score big profits - my bigger issue is time. So to maximize I go bigger with the time I do spend in it.

As far as gains, I have done well with that. When I first started I was flipping things for next to nothing. Learned quickly there were better and quicker ways to make money if I was smarter about it.

Sometimes not buying something is the best thing you can do for yourself too. Funny how that is but it is an important lesson in all of this.

Any of you Canucks out there having any luck or taking any chances to flip some SSDs or Xwings for a small profit? I know the EV was popular at least according to one member but TRU has gone so far as to remove it from their website for now. My local store doesn't stock them.. :(

I also mean a _real_ profit. It's not worth it for $10 to me. After taxes and a modest shipping cost (TRUs free shipping doesn't quite cover these big sets), SSDs will be about $427 a piece and the Xwings will be $215 each. Not much meat on the bone if to beat Lego VIP & free shipping.

Any of you Canucks out there having any luck or taking any chances to flip some SSDs or Xwings for a small profit? I know the EV was popular at least according to one member but TRU has gone so far as to remove it from their website for now. My local store doesn't stock them.. :(

I also mean a _real_ profit. It's not worth it for $10 to me. After taxes and a modest shipping cost (TRUs free shipping doesn't quite cover these big sets), SSDs will be about $427 a piece and the Xwings will be $215 each. Not much meat on the bone if to beat Lego VIP & free shipping.

Calculate profits based on percentage. Mutual funds returns last year was about 10-15%. If you can return more than 10% a year, you are doing very well, especially when you get to see the lego set in person whereas mutual funds, all you get is a piece of paper and a bunch of junk mail from the bank. I held an SSD on the shelf for 6 months, bought it for $380 after taxes, sold it for $420 after enjoying it on my shelf for 6 months. That's more than 15% profits, had I not done that, I would've shoved a few hundred more into my RRSP and the money is dead in there until I retire.

Calculate profits based on percentage. Mutual funds returns last year was about 10-15%. If you can return more than 10% a year, you are doing very well, especially when you get to see the lego set in person whereas mutual funds, all you get is a piece of paper and a bunch of junk mail from the bank. I held an SSD on the shelf for 6 months, bought it for $380 after taxes, sold it for $420 after enjoying it on my shelf for 6 months. That's more than 15% profits, had I not done that, I would've shoved a few hundred more into my RRSP and the money is dead in there until I retire.

I am well aware of how to calculate profits... But to me, $25 even $50 on an SSD isn't worth it if I have to sit on it for 6 months. If I put $425 into an RRSP the government eventually gives me back $100+ in taxes. So my RRSP (in a mutual fund) might only net 6% yearly (10%-15% hahaha, that is funny. Do you work for a bank or something?) but I get some money back to spend elsewhere in the mean time. Flipping also does absolutely NOTHING for your retirement... Personally, I plan on retiring on a beach somewhere so investing in a few different money makers is of great interest to me.

I also have a mortgage, a line of credit costing me 5% a month (home renos, yuck) and a car payments (soon to be two). 15% is really 9% because I could of put the money on debt and having to wait over a year would be even worse (my highest loan is 6%). Now, I do have some longer term investments that I am betting will beat that 6% yearly cost on debt but for me, to flip, I need to net closer to 25% to make it worth my time.

I also do not have the space to hold 8 SSDs for 6 months. My Lego storage space on my third floor is busting at the seams! :)

So... Have you quick flipped any SSDs you just stocked up on? I believe they may net the highest % and $ return with the right buyer, but to me those $500 sets seem to be hard to move unless they are retired. The $200-$400 range seems to move a lot more (which the EV and Xwing fall into).

** EDIT: I should add that I also have two small kids, a dog, some hobbies, and an office that really needs a cleaning. On some level, small profit flips would always be nice because you are right, money is money, but my time is valuable to me and my family. **

I am well aware of how to calculate profits... But to me, $25 even $50 on an SSD isn't worth it if I have to sit on it for 6 months. If I put $425 into an RRSP the government eventually gives me back $100+ in taxes. So my RRSP (in a mutual fund) might only net 6% yearly (10%-15% hahaha, that is funny. Do you work for a bank or something?) but I get some money back to spend elsewhere in the mean time. Flipping also does absolutely NOTHING for your retirement... Personally, I plan on retiring on a beach somewhere so investing in a few different money makers is of great interest to me.

I also have a mortgage, a line of credit costing me 5% a month (home renos, yuck) and a car payments (soon to be two). 15% is really 9% because I could of put the money on debt and having to wait over a year would be even worse (my highest loan is 6%). Now, I do have some longer term investments that I am betting will beat that 6% yearly cost on debt but for me, to flip, I need to net closer to 25% to make it worth my time.

I also do not have the space to hold 8 SSDs for 6 months. My Lego storage space on my third floor is busting at the seams! :)

So... Have you quick flipped any SSDs you just stocked up on? I believe they may net the highest % and $ return with the right buyer, but to me those $500 sets seem to be hard to move unless they are retired. The $200-$400 range seems to move a lot more (which the EV and Xwing fall into).

** EDIT: I should add that I also have two small kids, a dog, some hobbies, and an office that really needs a cleaning. On some level, small profit flips would always be nice because you are right, money is money, but my time is valuable to me and my family. **

haha.......you got it wrong bud. RRSP, what are you investing in? You're subjecting yourself to massive risk. SSD, it won't suddenly get shaved 50% if you got it at $400, but if you bought a high risk fund, you can get a crash within the next 10-20 yrs. AND you still get taxed when you take money out. BUT if you take below the minimum tax range, are you sure you'll live that long to grab that money? 

What has higher risk? Stock markets or a SSD? The thing is, you get to see the SSD all night and day while you got dead money locked up. The tax return from RRSP is meaningless. You put $425 in, get $100 back, what about the rest? Stuck for life. 

With RRSP and mutual funds, you are hoping for best case scenario. With the SSD, you are guaranteed a scenario. Think again bud. 

Perhaps you missed the parts about..

• My time is worth something to ME.
  • I don`t have room to store SSDs for a year (I've got two, I`m all full up).
  • I have debt I need to pay NOW.
  • I am not criticizing the way you play, please be respectful of how others choose to play.
  • I am asking about FLIPPING this set right now.

Big deal, you flipped an SSD for $420 and a $40 profit. With the current sale, I would lose $7 on that. I flipped a Cafe Corner that I bought for $1300 for $2k after 10 months of holding. $700 profit and 55% ROI on ONE sale.

Perhaps you missed the parts about..

• My time is worth something to ME.
  • I don`t have room to store SSDs for a year (I've got two, I`m all full up).
  • I have debt I need to pay NOW.
  • I am not criticizing the way you play, please be respectful of how others choose to play.
  • I am asking about FLIPPING this set right now.
Big deal, you flipped an SSD for $420 and a $40 profit. With the current sale, I would lose $7 on that. I flipped a Cafe Corner that I bought for $1300 for $2k after 10 months of holding. $700 profit and 55% ROI on ONE sale.

With cafe corner, that's a one time deal that's not scalable long term. And with $1300, you need to pay off that house first. The SSD is available and you can keep flipping nonstop and inventory is ready. Try finding another cafe corner, and you didn't get 100% return. With the wolverine chopper, buy at 20, sell at over 40. Percentage my friend. And ensure it can be done repeatedly.

This is something Suprab.., I mean TheHobbyRat, doesn't understand.

The guy was talking investment and RRSP so he needs to understand where money is better used. Business people don't put money in RRSP, that's plain stupid to lock up money there. The tax return is nothing but a government scam.

The guy was talking investment and RRSP so he needs to understand where money is better used. Business people don't put money in RRSP, that's plain stupid to lock up money there. The tax return is nothing but a government scam.

If you aren't paying taxes are you even legal? Are you reporting your business income?

I pay my taxes. Taxes are paid for when I buy my products. What I do with the products afterwards is for me to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I think there was a big huge thread about how the IRS or CRA might disagree with that assertion...

This is something Suprab.., I mean TheHobbyRat, doesn't understand.

I had to take my kids to hip hop dance class then to my parents for a visit, but the whole time I've been gone I was thinking this exactly.

Thanks for the laugh. Makes this thread worth it!

Sent from my iPod touch using Brickpicker

Haha, you're funny. How about we all understand a little English. I like to have multiple strategies. I also have NO ROOM even for a short term hold on Lego right now so I was asking about quick flips for a decent return.

$380 sold for $420 is 10.5% which I agree is good but a far cry from your "more than 15% profits" claim. Did you account for the gas in your big truck doing multiple border crossings? Did you pay tax when you crossed the border?

Talk all you want, your an arrogant piece of work and I'm done with you. I have enjoyed it though, so don't feel too badly about it. Worth ever nickel of my time... Or is that a 18.9% ROI?

Haha, you're funny. How about we all understand a little English. I like to have multiple strategies. I also have NO ROOM even for a short term hold on Lego right now so I was asking about quick flips for a decent return.

$380 sold for $420 is 10.5% which I agree is good but a far cry from your "more than 15% profits" claim. Did you account for the gas in your big truck doing multiple border crossings? Did you pay tax when you crossed the border?

Talk all you want, your an arrogant piece of work and I'm done with you. I have enjoyed it though, so don't feel too badly about it. Worth ever nickel of my time... Or is that a 18.9% ROI?

That's $380 everything included buddy. And I didn't just bring back one SSD, it also included a bunch of other stuff which I've offloaded. This game is a game for those who have deep pockets. I realized that since day one so I had to fork out cash to play this game. If you're busy paying off your mortgage, don't cry about a dollar here and there. Then you turn around and say you got $1300 to buy a Cafe corner then flip for $2000? What did you do with that $2000? You can now load up at least 6 SSD in one shot, but then again, it's possible that $2000 just evaporated into thin air.

If you really want to know, I spent $60,000 renovating the outside of my house this past summer. I did all the work except the foam insulation and eave troughs.

Sold a few sets that I was going to hold long term to take the edge off.

My initial investment was $5k last year instead of buying extra RRSPs. I've been slowly adding to it and I have flipped a few sets.

As we know with another ex-user around here deep pockets don't always equal brains.

PS I'm not crying, I'm simply asking "anyone have any luck flipping the SSD or Xwing for more than a $10 profit?" You answered with your experience, hooray for you. You are so wonderful. I can't believe I've been doing this for over a year without your wonderful advice.

Supraboy888, I was just thinking how well you were doing being less abrasive since evading your ban. But then I got to this thread. The way you communicate really rubs people the wrong way. Maybe it's intentional, maybe you don't even mean to. Anyway, this is a sincere suggestion: You've said before that buying and selling Legos is a game to you. Why not make a game of this forum, too? See how long you can go without antagonizing anyone. See if you can make us forget the old supraboy and make us actually look forward to interacting with you. I bet if you treat it as a game, you'll do well. 

Hey gregpj, I didn't buy the SSD or Xwing myself...reasons because if I'm stuck holding on to sets I'd rather have EW and AA just because I like them more :)  Unless I know for sure I have customers or can flip it easily I prefer not to buy sets I don't like/have interest in.  if i'm holding EW and AA for a couple (few) yrs no biggie.  I'll flip other sets along the way to 'take the edge off'/lower the cost of my inventory.  Since I buy only domestically I know the chances of me getting EW and AA for cheaper is pretty slim, so this TRU sale was good enough for a small time investor/flipper like me.  

Agree with your earlier post too...sometimes I prefer not to leave the house/family/free time for a quick $10-$20 profit flip.  A buyer wanted Wolverine yesterday for $50 which is great ROI but I refused to go meet up outside my regular 2min drive exchange location.  I'd make more of an effort when I'm flipping sets I want to sell off or it's bigger cash value.  I'm still happy making as low as $5-$10 profit flips but it has to be on my terms...not worth it to drive around etc.  It's a fun hobby so I like to keep it that way.     

All gone...the first 5, I sold for $65-70 because I wasn't familiar with the game, the rest I sold for $80 each. I ordered so many I was pissing my pants worried about not being able to offload. I won't be this stupid again.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

You sound like someone I know. Too bad he got banned :( I really want you to meet him. 

+1 well said..