TRU BOGO 50 - February 7-13

@rtisan

I couldn't resist and picked up 2 mint AA in TRU store + 1 random Lego Movie minifig/polybag just hoping to get that panda for my son haha...didn't read the thread about smooshing so rolling the dice.  Whomever he ends up getting he'll be happy :)

AA's might be around until the end of 2015 (or longer) but that's ok...I think there's good value here at this price for Canadians.  Not too many sales in CAN for this set and for buyers who only buy domestically like me (foolish I know when I read about awesome deals from US/Euro) haha.

After paying, the cashier handed the reciept - looked up surprised and said, 'you save $105!'  Yup.       

• Like 1

Based on investment potential, soon to retire, and price points, the Spiderman cycle chase and arctic batman combined would net the most in the shortest period of time.

Arkham Asylum has 2-3 yrs to go. Better to wait for the black friday sale where they go for about $135USD.

This is the time to load up arctic batman.

Very good point. I`m very tempted to grab some Arkham Asylums, but if it is around for another 2 years, it`s not worth it to me right now. I`m a small time investor and tying up that kind of capital for, what we assume is another 2 years or so, just isn`t worth it. Even to a very large investor, a move like this usually isn`t optimal. 25% off is amazing, no doubt about it, but not sure if it`s worth tossing the capital at it. SSD is at a very good price and if anyone here has the capital to toss at a couple, that`s probably the best you`re going to get anytime soon. Arkham I can grab in the future closer to retirement with x2 VIP, and that will only cost me $10-$15 more, when shipping is taken into account, but hopefully I`ll get a much quicker ROI. Any of the smaller sets like you mentioned, load up on those if you can. Great sets and should do very well now that they are, presumably, near the end. 

• Like 1

Very good point. I`m very tempted to grab some Arkham Asylums, but if it is around for another 2 years, it`s not worth it to me right now. I`m a small time investor and tying up that kind of capital for, what we assume is another 2 years or so, just isn`t worth it. Even to a very large investor, a move like this usually isn`t optimal. 25% off is amazing, no doubt about it, but not sure if it`s worth tossing the capital at it. SSD is at a very good price and if anyone here has the capital to toss at a couple, that`s probably the best you`re going to get anytime soon. Arkham I can grab in the future closer to retirement with x2 VIP, and that will only cost me $10-$15 more, when shipping is taken into account, but hopefully I`ll get a much quicker ROI. Any of the smaller sets like you mentioned, load up on those if you can. Great sets and should do very well now that they are, presumably, near the end. 

Agreed, with 2-3 yrs to go, you wait for the optimum deal. I wouldn't jump on AA unless it's at $150 or under. The trending price for AA is $145-$150 brand new in box. Not taking the risk ordering from TRU and end up getting a damaged box. I rather buy from individuals on ebay and see the pictures of the box.

With the SSD, yes, this is as good as it'll get. Since it's closer to retirement than AA, this is the one to hit on. The exit strategy on this even this X'mas will net you around $470. And if it discontinues, you'll be seeing north of $600 fast. I can guarantee you that during Black Friday, you'll hear a few cheers about landing AA for $130. Book it. Why tie up money now and pay a premium for it?

• Like 1

Trying to dump the Millenium Falcon for $140 and the same with that junk. I realized that star wars is quite dead these days. The prices I listed my goods at are cheaper than any TRU bargain and no takers.

Just need to be selective on what to bring in. Some fool emailed me and said "$90 for your falcon, see you later, ok?" I told him, how about I give you $95, you get me 10 falcons.

I know what you mean about low ballers locally sometimes on GL/Kijiji :)  Damn, $140 all in for Falcon is pretty good...maybe I should buy from you and than flip it lol. 

yeah, even at BOGO 50% off some/most SW sets available are not worth it...investment wise people might be sitting on it for a LONG time unless you get lucky with desperate buyers. 

As I buy/sell and learn more...being selective is the key for good cash flow, inventory level and general investing/flipping success (IHMO).  Those early days of buying anything at 20% off were sooo bad it's funny/painful as I think back :)       

• Like 2

Agreed, with 2-3 yrs to go, you wait for the optimum deal. I wouldn't jump on AA unless it's at $150 or under. The trending price for AA is $145-$150 brand new in box. Not taking the risk ordering from TRU and end up getting a damaged box. I rather buy from individuals on ebay and see the pictures of the box.

With the SSD, yes, this is as good as it'll get. Since it's closer to retirement than AA, this is the one to hit on. The exit strategy on this even this X'mas will net you around $470. And if it discontinues, you'll be seeing north of $600 fast. I can guarantee you that during Black Friday, you'll hear a few cheers about landing AA for $130. Book it. Why tie up money now and pay a premium for it?

Definitely a good point, I`d say if someone wants to build, this is decent, but ya, I can`t justify having them sit there for that long. If other can, good for them, it`s a great set that will perform very well when finished,I wish I could, but not today  :thumbsup: My local TRU was pretty picked over earlier this week so I won`t be venturing there today, but still deciding if it`s worth risking anything by buying online. Already got a few Venoms and Arctic Batman`s, so not desperate for more, but still trying to figure it out. And I`m ranting, so I`m going to stop now  :laugh:

EDIT: One SH set I`d have gotten is Daily Bugle Showdown. It looks promising and though 25% off isn't the best price, it`s probably not a bad one either. 

I know what you mean about low ballers locally sometimes on GL/Kijiji  :)  Damn, $140 all in for Falcon is pretty good...maybe I should buy from you and than flip it lol. 

yeah, even at BOGO 50% off some/most SW sets available are not worth it...investment wise people might be sitting on it for a LONG time unless you get lucky with desperate buyers. 

As I buy/sell and learn more...being selective is the key for good cash flow, inventory level and general investing/flipping success (IHMO).  Those early days of buying anything at 20% off were sooo bad it's funny/painful as I think back :)       

Bingo, hence, the AA is one of those examples where those who bought today will look back and say, "I locked in $180*2 for 3 yrs......" As mentioned in an earlier thread, I had a hard time flipping these even at $180 cash and had to go to $175 each. Each set I flip that's a fast flip requires a 10% gain minimum. 2 month hold requires 20% gains. Anything more than a year, at least 80% gains. With the wolverine chopper, I got lucky swooping TRU shelves in December and flipped them all in the past 4 weeks for 80-100% gains. This sort of stuff doesn't happen every week.

AA is a good build, that's for sure. I love the set, no knocks on the build and play, but a big no to today's sale. Prepare to baghold at $360 for 2.......

I know what you mean about low ballers locally sometimes on GL/Kijiji  :)  Damn, $140 all in for Falcon is pretty good...maybe I should buy from you and than flip it lol. 

FYI, I sold two MFs for $125 each during x'mas. Picked them up for $85 during black friday in November. This second round, I picked up a few from TRU on that $25 off $75. :) Came up to around $110USD taxes included.

Definitely a good point, I`d say if someone wants to build, this is decent, but ya, I can`t justify having them sit there for that long. If other can, good for them, it`s a great set that will perform very well when finished,I wish I could, but not today  :thumbsup: My local TRU was pretty picked over earlier this week so I won`t be venturing there today, but still deciding if it`s worth risking anything by buying online. Already got a few Venoms and Arctic Batman`s, so not desperate for more, but still trying to figure it out. And I`m ranting, so I`m going to stop now  :laugh:

EDIT: One SH set I`d have gotten is Daily Bugle Showdown. It looks promising and though 25% off isn't the best price, it`s probably not a bad one either. 

Daily Bugle Showdown, I racked up 20 of those sets for an avg of $32.99USD. :) Flipping for $50CAD, but I'm willing to sit on these. The best spiderman set by far and I'm willing to wait.

Really wish that LOTR and/or Hobbit sets were part of the deal. Those I`d be buying for sure. There is nothing in City worth buying, unless you are building, only a couple in SH worth grabbing, and as for SW, I`d say SSD is the best bet, followed by Ewok Village. Both of those can make you money quickly at this price, and it would be well worth it for anyone who can pick some up.  

Daily Bugle Showdown, I racked up 20 of those sets for an avg of $32.99USD.  :) Flipping for $50CAD, but I'm willing to sit on these. The best spiderman set by far and I'm willing to wait.

Great stuff!  :thumbsup: I don`t have any yet, only started paying attention to it in the last few months or so and haven`t found a good price on them since. Apparently I was blind for a year and a 1/2, as I now see what you mean by the best Spider Man set haha. 

Canada only is my guess.

Ironic if you ask me. We get a pretty good deal up here and there are very few sets worth buying. Maybe TRU knows this and wants to screw us all by selling as poor investments  :shifty:

• Like 1

Really wish that LOTR and/or Hobbit sets were part of the deal. Those I`d be buying for sure. There is nothing in City worth buying, unless you are building, only a couple in SH worth grabbing, and as for SW, I`d say SSD is the best bet, followed by Ewok Village. Both of those can make you money quickly at this price, and it would be well worth it for anyone who can pick some up.  

Great stuff!  :thumbsup: I don`t have any yet, only started paying attention to it in the last few months or so and haven`t found a good price on them since. Apparently I was blind for a year and a 1/2, as I now see what you mean by the best Spider Man set haha. 

Ironic if you ask me. We get a pretty good deal up here and there are very few sets worth buying. Maybe TRU knows this and wants to screw us all by selling as poor investments  :shifty:

Quiet please.....I picked up 2 SSD already, thinking about 2 more. :)

• Like 1

If you buy in the US, the SSD is a better deal in the US at this price point. This assumes that you clear customs without paying tax. If you are a Canadian only buyer then this is hands down the best price for the set.

I really appreciate how thehobbyrat exclaimed that the sale was garbage in page one and has been proclaiming his/her love for all the sets he/she is buying. :)

Ex astris, scientia.

• Like 1

If you buy in the US, the SSD is a better deal in the US at this price point. This assumes that you clear customs without paying tax. If you are a Canadian only buyer then this is hands down the best price for the set.

I really appreciate how thehobbyrat exclaimed that the sale was garbage in page one and has been proclaiming his/her love for all the sets he/she is buying. :)

Ex astris, scientia.

How is it a better deal in the states?

I was dismayed that my TRU had little to titillate.  I did nab two Red Cargo trains...one left on the shelf, but nothing even comparable in price to BOGO it with, so I left it.  The Windsor TRU had only Superman sets and a couple Malibu Mansions for Superheroes, so if you live in the area, not much to get.  There was one open and *poorly* re-taped Arctic Batman, but that was it.  Ugh.

The only thing I did notice was my TRU had some Space Shuttles (3367) for $49 with Bogo.  This is not showing up on TRU.ca so thought it might be my best bet if I wanted to go back.  I think there were about 8 pristine boxes, but I'm not sure what the ceiling is on these.  Any thoughts?

I was dismayed that my TRU had little to titillate.  I did nab two Red Cargo trains...one left on the shelf, but nothing even comparable in price to BOGO it with, so I left it.  The Windsor TRU had only Superman sets and a couple Malibu Mansions for Superheroes, so if you live in the area, not much to get.  There was one open and *poorly* re-taped Arctic Batman, but that was it.  Ugh.

The only thing I did notice was my TRU had some Space Shuttles (3367) for $49 with Bogo.  This is not showing up on TRU.ca so thought it might be my best bet if I wanted to go back.  I think there were about 8 pristine boxes, but I'm not sure what the ceiling is on these.  Any thoughts?

Space shuttle ready to take off!

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=11259138

Anyhow, I feel sorry for you for not finding anything at your TRU. Since you're in Windsor, just drive down to the US.

My mistake as I thought that the US retail was $349.

The TRU Canada deal works out to the same price as if one purchased it with double VIP in the US.

Sorry for the confusion. (:

Ex astris, scientia.

$399 retail in the US. Considering that you don't pay any state tax if in Oregon for example, $399 convert to CAD without commissions is $440CAD. Right now, even with an HST/PST/GST in British Columbia, it comes up to $420CAD shipped.

The lowest I got for a SSD through ebay was $350USD free shipping, box was in decent shape. If you are assuming a 1:1 exchange, sure, buy it in the US. You are also assuming that you get double VIP in the US, all that work just to get these through the border, AND sneaking it through customs. I don't think that's an easy thing to do. Finding buyers for SSD at $450CAD is easy. Nobody wants to really punch in two orders, especially those who wants to buy and build, that's where we flippers come in to satisfy two hungry customers who can only afford just one. :)

$399 retail in the US. Considering that you don't pay any state tax if in Oregon for example, $399 convert to CAD without commissions is $440CAD. Right now, even with an HST/PST/GST in British Columbia, it comes up to $420CAD shipped.

The lowest I got for a SSD through ebay was $350USD free shipping, box was in decent shape. If you are assuming a 1:1 exchange, sure, buy it in the US. You are also assuming that you get double VIP in the US, all that work just to get these through the border, AND sneaking it through customs. I don't think that's an easy thing to do. Finding buyers for SSD at $450CAD is easy. Nobody wants to really punch in two orders, especially those who wants to buy and build, that's where we flippers come in to satisfy two hungry customers who can only afford just one. :)

I annually spend over 10,000 us and I declare everything upon returning. I look at holding long term with zero interest in flipping and there is never a reason to 'sneak' through customs.

If anyone has some out of the way toys r us in your areas, you might make some great finds. (:

Side note - some items have shipped already so this is a good sign.

Ex astris, scientia.

I annually spend over 10,000 us and I declare everything upon returning. I look at holding long term with zero interest in flipping and there is never a reason to 'sneak' through customs.

If anyone has some out of the way toys r us in your areas, you might make some great finds. (:

Side note - some items have shipped already so this is a good sign.

Ex astris, scientia.

Holding long term......that's a lot of money left on the table there. I prefer to squeeze as much juice as I can. I'm considering loading up 20 Arctic batman now, then unload each for a $5 profit, and roll in more Arctic batmans. :)

Holding long term......that's a lot of money left on the table there. I prefer to squeeze as much juice as I can. I'm considering loading up 20 Arctic batman now, then unload each for a $5 profit, and roll in more Arctic batmans. :)

5$ is not a lot of money for a lot of work. I think thats the majority of the reasons people hold them for a while.

Sweet spot for a $20 set is to buy a lot of them a couple of months before reitirng. Obviously its guessing, but I bought 15 or so Wolvernines in November. Already more than doubled. If I bought those a year ago, not the same story.

Went to TRU after work, loaded up 6 Arctic Batman, 4 Spiderman cycle, and 8 Baxter Robot Rampage.

Why Baxter Robot Rampage? Go to Lego.com and check the price, $24.95. TRU did a price match for $24.95 for the TMNT Baxter Robot Rampage. I basically cleared the shelves. Will hit the other TRU later and grab at least 10 more if I can.