21005 - Fallingwater

allen9917

I had my inventory at amazon and took advantage of amazon's free return shipping to hold them longer because I think selling these now is a bit too early. I think this set is popular enough to hit 300+ within the next year or so.

I personally believe that the architecture series greatly benefits from the demographics of individuals purchasing them, which allows the ceiling to be higher than a lot of other series.

18 hours ago, brickolodon said:

Thats why i sold all my stockpile...

• Like 1

I lost alot of money recently. A guy from the UK bought one set from me for $200 usd via ebay. I spent $40 usd shipping it to him, but my post office tracking number only allowed for the item to be tracked to the UK. Once it's there, I can't track anymore.

He claimed that the item never reached him so he opened a case and got his money back. I never got mine. The money I spent buying the Falling water, as well as shipping it was all lost. And now ebay still wants me to pay for the commision fee for the sale that screwed up. Seriously...

How do I prevent this from happening to me again? Pay for more expensive shipping and make sure I can track right to his doorstep?

That's going to jack the price up even more

I lost alot of money recently. A guy from the UK bought one set from me for $200 usd via ebay. I spent $40 usd shipping it to him, but my post office tracking number only allowed for the item to be tracked to the UK. Once it's there, I can't track anymore.

He claimed that the item never reached him so he opened a case and got his money back. I never got mine. The money I spent buying the Falling water, as well as shipping it was all lost. And now ebay still wants me to pay for the commision fee for the sale that screwed up. Seriously...

How do I prevent this from happening to me again? Pay for more expensive shipping and make sure I can track right to his doorstep?

That's going to jack the price up even more

Use eBay's global shipping center. You only need to get it to Kentucky, and then the rest is on eBay.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, msdontplay01 said:

+1 for eBay's Global Shopping Program, love it. It increases shipping costs for the buyer but as long as you get the package to Kentucky, eBay essentially assumes all the risk for the international leg of the shipment

Your alternative is a shipping service that gives you full tracking (potentially with signature on delivery) like FedEx,UPS, or DHL but it's unlikely you'll save much compared to the GSP.

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Nawoo said:

For some reason it's still super cheap here in Asia. 

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/LEGO-21005-Fallingwater-Architecture-/172265894697?hash=item281bd8f329:g:NjYAAOSw3xJVeRft

You can still get it brand new sealed for $200 SGD, which is $150 usd. Looks like I'm going to be sitting on my 24 sets for a very long time

Is Imperial Hotel more popular there? If so, yo may want to consider trading with a European as that one has tanked so far.

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Is Imperial Hotel more popular there? If so, yo may want to consider trading with a European as that one has tanked so far.

Architecture sets generally aren't as popular in Asia as in the West.  Imperial is still cheap, at $150 USD as well. 

I was better off selling my Falling waters on Ebay for $200 USD a few months ago. I've since stopped and decided to wait till the prices rise even more. 

3 hours ago, micbelt said:

Lowest price on Amazon is $255 currently, rising pretty quickly

I saw this too. It had been sitting at about $220 all year until a few days ago. When it jumped to $255 I listed one & it sold within a few hours. Bought for $145 in September. I'll hold the other few I have - $300 by Xmas maybe?

4 hours ago, fossilrock said:

The Imperial Hotel is showing signs it will hit 300 eventually.  Simply put, FLW sets are a golden egg.

I've always thought this one would be a big winner once it retired - so far so good.

I'm convinced this set will be at 350 by early next year.  The signs are looking good.  This set had over 120 sellers on amazon with a good amount of stock last year this time.  Now, it's down in the 40's.  By next year, should be in the 20's (or less) and prices will go up as less have stock.  Also, not a lot of people are holding Villa Savoye, or Imperial Hotel and they are sitting on a low reseller count.  I think they will see even quicker rises in their EOL CAGR ratio.  I think Imperial Hotel will be the moniest of moneymakers for the architecture sets.

1 minute ago, fossilrock said:

I'm convinced this set will be at 350 by early next year.  The signs are looking good.  This set had over 120 sellers on amazon with a good amount of stock last year this time.  Now, it's down in the 40's.  By next year, should be in the 20's (or less) and prices will go up as less have stock.  Also, not a lot of people are holding Villa Savoye, or Imperial Hotel and they are sitting on a low reseller count.  I think they will see even quicker rises in their EOL CAGR ratio.  I think Imperial Hotel will be the moniest of moneymakers for the architecture sets.

Nope, UN building and Savoye will do the best. Pisa is also a dark horse once stock has reduced.

9 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Nope, UN building and Savoye will do the best. Pisa is also a dark horse once stock has reduced.

Maybe in Europe, but not in the states.  In the states, UN is showing little signs of being a fast riser.  In fact, it's just recently gone into the reseller circle on amazon, and lingered in stock well past the retirement date.  Villa Savoye on the other hand was more limited.  Imperial Hotel was done by the most famous of American Architects, so those that work in the field will grab those sets up as time goes on because they add a nice little cool status symbol to the bookshelf..

I could easily run and get 10 UN buildings right now if I wanted.  Maybe it would be worth trading them to a european counterpart for some IH's......

Edited by fossilrock

23 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I agree, it´s all about S+D. Savoye is probably the worldwide winner as it went very quietly and has a nice price point to make appreciation easier to achieve.

Here in the states, all but one of last years architecture retirees have risen out of the gates.  Villa Savoye and Brandenberg Gate have seen around a 20% rise out of the gates, while IH is around 28%.  UN is sitting at 0%.  Space Needle is actually doing the best at 80%.  While Villa Savoye definitely shows potential, I think it is not anywhere near as universally recognized in the states compared to Europe.  So, I don't think it will do the best, but completists of this line will definitely be the ones buying it at higher prices.  Although, that set reminds me of Farnsworth House.  Last year, many people overlooked Farnsworth House, and it's now at 190.00 on the lower end - a definite winner . Perhaps the biggest winner from the architecture retirees from a few years back, so you might be right as time settles it out.

Edited by fossilrock

• 1 month later...

lowest price on amazon $271 :) and down to 38 sellers.  i'm appreciating this appreciation.  just repriced higher.

still, empire state building might have been the better investment, now hitting $45-60 on amazon, shipped first class, and easily obtainable for $12-15 in volume.

architecture continues to be a winner.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, cladner said:

lowest price on amazon $271 :) and down to 38 sellers.  i'm appreciating this appreciation.  just repriced higher.

still, empire state building might have been the better investment, now hitting $45-60 on amazon, shipped first class, and easily obtainable for $12-15 in volume.

architecture continues to be a winner.

at this point, i'm waiting till they hit 350, which I think they will within a year.

• Like 1