9473 - The Mines of Moria

I found 2 of these at Walmart the day after Christmas for $54 each on clearance.  They must have brought them out from the back because they weren't there before Christmas.  I haven't seen these anywhere else around here though.

Same here - found 3 in a rural Iowa WM when with family over the holidays, and bought all three.  Just listed one at $100, although there's been very little traffic so far for it.  I have a feeling once it's gone from S@H eBay pricing will jump again.

Amazon UK has 54 left as of writing.  I was checking this out and saw amazon.com has only one left @ $101.00, so even accounting for a Christmas rush, this set is doing alright as it is newly EOL.

Two with shipping to Canada was just under 91 pounds.  I used xe.com to check the conversion and it worked out to $160 Canadian.  Considering S&**** sold out of them at $78 Can., this is not a bad deal.  It seems likely Amazon UK won't get any more in stock after this, so might be time to grab a couple if you've been sitting on the fence.

I've still successfully fought 99% of brokerage fees and have had them refunded.  It is getting to the point where I cut and paste a previous complaint and send it to amazon.co.uk.  They always refund.  Maybe because I buy enough from amazon uk, ca and .com, or maybe I'm just lucky, but I refuse to pay any more than the amount I pay at the initial purchase.  Or perhaps I am more elequent in my lengthy complaints and they just refund me $$ because they are tired of reading my emails.

I bought these right after Christmas last year (2012) for 54 thinking I had scored HUGE. Only to see them last on shelves all of 2013 and go right back to clearance at 54 again after Christmas 2013. And with toys r us well stocked at 99.99 they won't see true price gains soon.

Now I know not to invest in a set just because it's on 30% clearance. Especially if it's just 1 year old at the time.

....says the guy who pounced on some pirate ambush sets for 30% last week. I'll never learn.

• Like 1

I bought these right after Christmas last year (2012) for 54 thinking I had scored HUGE. Only to see them last on shelves all of 2013 and go right back to clearance at 54 again after Christmas 2013. And with toys r us well stocked at 99.99 they won't see true price gains soon.

Now I know not to invest in a set just because it's on 30% clearance. Especially if it's just 1 year old at the time.

....says the guy who pounced on some pirate ambush sets for 30% last week. I'll never learn.

Ed always says that buying at 30% plus off should be a winner. Even if the set only goes to close to RRP after EOL. If the set is EOL now I don't think it will start to go up for another few months.

My rule is that don't buy sets that have just come out. Problem is I keep breaking it :) too many good bargains....

I agree that at 30% and with sets I believe in I won't "lose" any money, it's just the opportunity cost of having 216 tied up in those for sets all year when I could have used that $$ elsewhere.

True, but it depends on whether you have a flipping or investment mentality, If the latter, then just think. "Fine that's going to take ****** number of years to appreciate so I will forget about until I want to sell it" That's what I do. Of course in reality i am checking the monthly price updates from BP and the ebay price.

Now if you are a flipper you need to be much more pro-active. Checking prices daily (hourly) for bargains that you can turn round relatively quickly. Tabbyboy does this. He recently bought 175 of 4407 for 60% off that he thinks he can sell for RRP or above.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eightbrick

Yes, where? I'm looking for one for myself (and investing at that price). I see Lego is doing the ol' tease us by lowering price on discontinued items all wave 1 LOTR is showing up as 50% off. You might be able to price match to the 49.99 on Lego.com even though its sold out.