Virtual LEGO Investing Game - Win Prizes!

Thanks all, it was fun running it.

Might come back to these entries in 6 months to see how a 1 year investment window would have changed things.

Maybe you can continue this contest for fun and check/update the list every two to three months. It would be fun to see how people's choices turn out as time goes on.

just to illustrate what great money makers limited sets are i'd like to point out that if i had been able to buy marina bay sands for retail at $72 each it would have been 13 sets with a current value of $3636.75

Rovers at retail would have been 29.99 and for a thousand dollars you could get 33 of them with a current value of 2192

obviously limited sets are the way to go

My guess is that if a new contest would start now, the overall numbers are likely to be better - assuming a lot of sets do retire in the second half of the year. I've seen quite a number of people choosing sets I consider good investments - just not in that 6 month period. I consider 6 months almost "flipping".

Thank you Grolim again! And great job to the winners!

It's interesting to see some of the most opinionated vocal members here sitting pretty low on the list. Doesn't necessarily mean anything, just a simple observation.

Can't wait to do it again!

To a certain degree, it's a bit of spring training.  Since it's house money you're playing with, some of our more vocal members might have been playing a different strategy just to try something different out.

Thanks all, it was fun running it.

Might come back to these entries in 6 months to see how a 1 year investment window would have changed things.

I would love to see you revisit these numbers every six months into the future.  Just as a fun way to look at this, and see how it progresses long term.

Oh, and I don't care about the prizes.  It was just fun to play.

RESULTS ARE IN:

Final results based on data to the end of June:

Congratulations to our winners:

1st = IAmElim

2nd = jojoyojimbi

3rd = checkers312

Ed or Jeff will be in contact with each of you in regards to your prizes, which I must publicly thank them for once again as when this comp was set up it was just going to be for a few Brickpoints from my stash, very generous - thank you.

Thank you to all entrants and I hope you all found it a bit of fun and perhaps even took away a few grains of learning from the exercise.

The winning strategy was IAmElim taking a full stake in 28 x Wolverine Choppers which appreciated by 75% over the run of the competition.  

I'll get around to posting a few more stats over the next week or so.  Things like what the best strategy would have been, what were the worst/best sets etc.

what did we end up winning anyway, i know it was supposed to be sets but they did away with brickpoints right

just to illustrate what great money makers limited sets are i'd like to point out that if i had been able to buy marina bay sands for retail at $72 each it would have been 13 sets with a current value of $3636.75

Rovers at retail would have been 29.99 and for a thousand dollars you could get 33 of them with a current value of 2192

obviously limited sets are the way to go

There were a lot of people who would go with them if they were available. Limited sets are always no-brainers. But you can't always get a ton of them like that.

You did for the Rover but almost paid double for a lot of them. Not saying it was a bad choice, just saying you can't really only deal in limited sets.

• 2 months later...

I am going to convert the US dollar into pounds, today's rate is $1000 = 603.25 GBP, I'm then going to invest that 603.25 GBP on the U.K market price of 6866 Wolverine's chopper showdown, 66 @ 9.08 GBP = 599.28 ($993.6) . Those brickpoints are as good as mine.

I am obviously the gifted but flawed genius who's downfalls come from being unable to follow the rules and wanting to do things a little bit different.... But technically I won too :-)

Edited by glenbart

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Alpinemaps unpinned this topic
  • 10 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2014 at 7:15 PM, Grolim said:

All entries have been posted in full under post #2

Here are some stats from across all 84 entries:

• 120 different sets were chosen
  • Sets ranged across 26 different themes
  • Most expensive set chosen was $433.35, the 10188 Death Star
  • Least expensive was $5.60, the 30106 Ice Cream Stand
  • 65 of the sets were chosen by only one player alone
  • $84,000 was the total amount to play with across all players
  • There was $1,833.44 cash remaining, including $1,000 from one player alone who wanted to take the cash only.

Some more analysis provided these graphs:

The Virtual mimicks the real, with Fire Brigade the most picked set.

Three players going big on Desert Skiff push it to the top of the quantity list, and one player chose all 119 of the Desk set.  Though a better measure than quantity of investment popularity is value invested, here's that:

And here's the value by theme:

Interesting stuff I'm sure you'll agree.  Anything else that anyone wants to know?

I wonder what people will make of our investment choices from 2016 in three years´ time.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I came back to check how I did. I was 3rd LAST in this game but right now my sets are worth $3,015. 😆

I should have invested in more 9494 Anakin's Interceptor instead of the Goblin King Battles. Had I invested $1,000 in 24 Anankin's Inerceptors $40.91 at the time, my portfolio would be worth $6,120 today. 

The winner IAmElim invested in 28 Wolverine Chopper Showdown 6866 and his portfolio is worth about $5,000.

Screenshot (103).png

Edited by ibobpeb
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ibobpeb said:
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I came back to check how I did. I was 3rd LAST in this game but right now my sets are worth $3,015. 
I should have invested in more 9494 Anakin's Interceptor instead of the Goblin King Battles. Had I invested $1,000 in 24 Anankin's Inerceptors $40.91 at the time, my portfolio would be worth $6,120 today. 
The winner IAmElim invested in 28 Wolverine Chopper Showdown 6866 and his portfolio is worth about $5,000.
http://bp-forum.s3.amazonaws.com/monthly_2021_10/913775539_Screenshot(103).thumb.png.d3b9981ec64f3efb36b7bbab97fc2d4f.png

Thanks for the bump, I forgot about this! That was fun! I wish we did something like this every year...not only fun and challenging, but also supplied some interesting data...I was pretty proud of my 5th place finish...
My $1000 investment would be valued at $3050 now (7yrs later)...it had reached that ROI 3-4 years ago.
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Edited by odysea11
  • Like 1