Virtual LEGO Investing Game - Win Prizes!

Thanks people.  It's been fun putting it together.

My prediction is the bulk of us will loose a fair amount of value right away due to buying in at those historic December prices, and the $1000 cash guy and the Desert Skiffs will take an early lead. FWIW

$1000 cash guy definitely starts at the top.  I've just about finished a table that ranks everyone, which I'll post soon.  Taking the start value and subtracting off the two fees.  The $3 per set handling fee does hit a few people hard, the desert skiff guys in particular.  The 12% fee is almost the same for everyone and really only reflects the amount of cash remaining a player has, the more left the lower the 12% fee.

Thanks people.  It's been fun putting it together.

$1000 cash guy definitely starts at the top.  I've just about finished a table that ranks everyone, which I'll post soon.  Taking the start value and subtracting off the two fees.  The $3 per set handling fee does hit a few people hard, the desert skiff guys in particular.  The 12% fee is almost the same for everyone and really only reflects the amount of cash remaining a player has, the more left the lower the 12% fee.

I noticed a few people had over 1000$ invested. How did that work?

I just tried to pick sets at or near EOL and try to keep the total # of sets down to minimize the $3 per set penalty. I think I wound up with about ten sets total.

Same with me. I looked at sets that are EOL are close to it, and decided which ones would be the best investments. For me, I mostly picked Technic sets that are EOL or are close to it. Of course I picked a Unimog for the contest along with a Fire Brigade, with some other stuff.

6 months is not always long enough for sets to really show their value, so unless you picked something that is on shelves now, and wont be 5 months from now ( plus 1 month to reflect in prices), the $1000 cash entry will win. Sorry i missed out, as that was going to be my entry.

Glad that fees are being put into play, that's what many brickpickers who only accumulate seem to forget.

6 months is not always long enough for sets to really show their value, so unless you picked something that is on shelves now, and wont be 5 months from now ( plus 1 month to reflect in prices), the $1000 cash entry will win. Sorry i missed out, as that was going to be my entry.

Glad that fees are being put into play, that's what many brickpickers who only accumulate seem to forget.

I have to disagree. It all depends on the sets that members picked. I did a mix of sets that are officially retired and sets that are close to being retired. The hard part will be making enough money to break even with all the fees. After the fees are accounted for, i can see what my actual profit and ROI is.

I have to disagree, no chance for that $1000 cash entry, even my lazy 9 JP's should beat that and I would think many others will smoke my entry.

I wonder how will that simple $1,000 entry goes considering nothing was actually invested meaning nothing lost nor gained. How things turn out in the end will be interesting of course but considering the game here was about investing, it would be weird if the winning entry was the one that did not invest at all.

I wonder how will that simple $1,000 entry goes considering nothing was actually invested meaning nothing lost nor gained. How things turn out in the end will be interesting of course but considering the game here was about investing, it would be weird if the winning entry was the one that did not invest at all.

Yeah.  He's essentially invested in cash.  Stuffing it under the mattress for 6 months and saying it'll be worth more than putting it into sets.  Novel approach, and it'll be a cool benchmark to see how the other entries stack up against it at the end.  

Thinking next time we could even have some sort of Risk Free Rate of Return tied to bank interest rates or something and apply that to any cash remainder.

Yeah.  He's essentially invested in cash.  Stuffing it under the mattress for 6 months and saying it'll be worth more than putting it into sets.  Novel approach, and it'll be a cool benchmark to see how the other entries stack up against it at the end.  

Thinking next time we could even have some sort of Risk Free Rate of Return tied to bank interest rates or something and apply that to any cash remainder.

Don't forget though, sitting on $1000 in cash, there's always the temptation to spend it on hookers and blow. That's a big risk that the rest of us do not have to deal with.

• Like 2

Don't forget though, sitting on $1000 in cash, there's always the temptation to spend it on hookers and blow. That's a big risk that the rest of us do not have to deal with.

Unless we virtually fall off the wagon and break the virtual seals on our virtual investments for our own virtual use. That would virtually suck.

• Like 7

Unless we virtually fall off the wagon and break the virtual seals on our virtual investments for our own virtual use. That would virtually suck.

i'm totally virtually building all 74 desert skiffs into a fleet of virtual desert skiffs and an army of virtual boba fetts who's a virtual badass and virtual lukes who's virtually a jedi but just lacks confidence .... virtually

Well, I just virtually opened all my virtual Log Cabins to make a real sh*t shack that constantly keeps spontaneously combusting for no apparent reason. Fortunately, I also virtually built the virtual Fire Brigade down a ways from it as well. Unfortunately, all the virtual firemen are out on their coffee break so that sh*t shack didn't stand a chance. Now it's just a burnt outhouse.