Virtual LEGO Investing Game - Win Prizes!

RESULTS ARE IN:

Final results based on data to the end of June:

bp_1406176510__virtual_june_final_result

Congratulations to our winners:

1st = IAmElim

2nd = jojoyojimbi

3rd = checkers312

Ed or Jeff will be in contact with each of you in regards to your prizes, which I must publicly thank them for once again as when this comp was set up it was just going to be for a few Brickpoints from my stash, very generous - thank you.

Thank you to all entrants and I hope you all found it a bit of fun and perhaps even took away a few grains of learning from the exercise.

The winning strategy was IAmElim taking a full stake in 28 x Wolverine Choppers which appreciated by 75% over the run of the competition.  

I'll get around to posting a few more stats over the next week or so.  Things like what the best strategy would have been, what were the worst/best sets etc.

• Like 8

A big thank you to Grolim for running this.  This has been fun to watch.  Congrats to our winners.

I'd love to see some of the usual stats, if you get the chance.  And I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to know what sets you chose.  :)

Something interesting I noted, just by looking over it quickly - there was some talk that taking a lot of inventory (e.***., 28 items), might bring you down a bit because of the $3 selling fee.  While not the highest in fees out there, it was double mine ($39), so, by itself, the number of sets that you take (or don't take) wasn't as big a deciding factor as we may have thought.

A reflection on myself - I know that my own strategy has changed over the last 6 months.  So, thinking back on what I picked, and how I might do it over again...well, let's just say I like how I'm positioning myself, much more than where I was 6 months ago.

A big thank you to Grolim for running this.  This has been fun to watch.  Congrats to our winners.

I'd love to see some of the usual stats, if you get the chance.  And I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to know what sets you chose.  :)

Will do those stats when I can.  About to leave work now and off for a 3 day weekend so might not get a chance.  If you want to see what people had as their entries it's all in post #2 of the thread.  (please do not seek out my own shameful performance) 

Final results based on data to the end of June:

Well, I didn't do as well as I would have hoped but also not that bad either. Ended at 58, huh? Figures I would finish around the middle yet a little off closer towards the direction of last. I suppose I am just an average sort of guy. Ah well, bum cakes....

People should take a hard look at cash beating out almost 60% of the field. Flipping is not as easy as some may say hah.

The contest wasn't quite like real life because we had to buy in at market value rather than at a discount. I own all the sets I had in this game and paid about $670 for them rather than $1000.

• Like 1

A valid point, but my counter is that no one had to discover or compete for the price either. The goal here was to find the sets you thought had the most growth potential regardless of price. The winner doesn't have to contend with the realistic problem of selling 28 wolv choppers at once, nor everyone else who bought a wolv chopper either taking a piece of his buy-in action or dropping the price during sell off.

• Like 1

Could look at doing it again if there is enough interest.  Will let the dust settle on this one for a bit.  Ed/Jeff would have to give the ok, but even with no prizes it still might be fun.  There would be an opportunity to look at tweaking the rules to make things more complex/realistic, so would look at canvassing opinions on that once the time comes.

Congrats to the three winners of the contest.

I think that I did well in this contest. I had picked some great sets that went up 30%+ in one month, but then I also had some sets that went down 20%+ in one month. At least I was able to turn a profit in this contest.

It was a fun contest, and I would enjoy participating in another one when the time comes.

Guest TabbyBoy

Thanks Grolim, great competition.  I'm pleased that I've made a bit as I actually own the sets I added.  How about giving it another 6 months? ;-)

LOL. Mikemcd ranked 34th - in the top half - of the final standings. He invested in the USD... I'm really hoping that most of you are investing for the long stretch, or else you might have better luck in bonds! <I kid...>

It would be cool to have this as a new contest for another six months, regardless of prizes. Thanks for planning this, Grolim!

Congrats to the winners! Before this contest I had never considered a 6 month investment window. Even though I failed miserably, I want to think I learned a bit from this experience. Grolim, thanks for organizing this fun competition. And I will also say that I'd love a chance to redeem myself!

Great contest Grolim!  Thanks for your hard work.

Just a note to everyone that finished ahead of me (which was most of you):  Your lucky it was only 6 months...this goes another month or two and likely I pass everyone and finish first! 

Or not.

Lol Mikemcd at #34 with cash only while I was at #27. I should have just picked 1 set and left the rest as cash, instead of compiling a list of sets. :D

For new members, this was only a game confined by its rules. It did not 100% reflect real life conditions / scenarios. ;)

ETA: thanks Grolim for the time and effort you put to this :thumbsup: