76012 - Batman: The Riddler Chase

jaisonline

At this point, the entire Batman 1 (2006-2008) theme is doomed. The Tumble and Croc sets are just about the only ones that will hold their value...for now.

Although the 2012+ Batman sets are basically a rehash of Batman 1 (with the exception of the Funhouse), I still prefer the style and darker tone if the older sets. The new Arkham is sharp though.

At this point, the entire Batman 1 (2006-2008) theme is doomed. The Tumble and Croc sets are just about the only ones that will hold their value...for now.

Although the 2012+ Batman sets are basically a rehash of Batman 1 (with the exception of the Funhouse), I still prefer the style and darker tone if the older sets. The new Arkham is sharp though.

I don't think that the Batman I releases are doomed - Most of the new ones don't even come close to the quality of the old ones. Yes, whenever you have rereleases they will go down a bit, but most of the Batman 1 sets have overshot to the downside (creating a buying opportunity) & have come back a bit. I have found that many buyers of the new sets realize how much better the 1st wave was, and are now looking to get them. I agree - I think that the old sets are beautiful. They look more like display pieces (most of the newer ones just look like toys).

Have the originals really been affected by the new realeases? A lot of the original sets still seem to fetch a pretty penny.  Might be wrong since I never really followed them.  The minifigs still seem popular though.

Some have certainly been affected, but I would say they have held up pretty well. I know I was worried about the impact when word first broke about the new Batman releases, but once I saw some of the images I was much less concerned. A similar event taking place right now is with the SW Walker & Sail Barge. The old sets are getting hammered right now, but the new ones don't appear to be nearly as impressive - so in time the old ones will bounce back.

• Like 1

Hmm, that's weird with Flash just randomly there. Seems a bit like reaching.

Not as weird as having Aquaman in an "artic" set.  :D

This set looks like a depiction of a race between the Riddler, Batman, and the Flash.  I do not know why they bother to try.  Per the LEGO Batman 2 game, Flash is the fastest thing in that universe and can run circles around the batmobile.

Cool. A cheap way of getting Edward Nigma, and we finally get The Flash! No idea what is with the Riddler Roadster though (and the banana). Eh, who cares.

This set looks like a depiction of a race between the Riddler, Batman, and the Flash.  I do not know why they bother to try.  Per the LEGO Batman 2 game, Flash is the fastest thing in that universe and can run circles around the batmobile.

Wasn't there a point where The Flash ran so fast, he almost faded out of existance?

Still, I'd like to see Flash take on Sonic! He is the fastest thing alive afterall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KMrZ5TGFmo

Some have certainly been affected, but I would say they have held up pretty well. I know I was worried about the impact when word first broke about the new Batman releases, but once I saw some of the images I was much less concerned. A similar event taking place right now is with the SW Walker & Sail Barge. The old sets are getting hammered right now, but the new ones don't appear to be nearly as impressive - so in time the old ones will bounce back.

They have declined in value especially the sets that have been refreshed. I just submitted a 4843 Hogwarts blog for approval and it talks about how the refreshes impacted the Batman 1 Arkham and Batcave sets. I'm a collector of the Batman 1 line and have been picking up sets the past yr for a song and dance of the pre-2012 prices on eBay. On avg, sets have dropped 20% to 40% in the last 18 months.

Yes, the older 6210 Sail Barge started taking a hit. Open sets can now be had for $100 to $160 with q few outliers. I have both and can tell you, the older one is more true to the movie while the new smaller one is more for play and needs rhinoplasty.

I don't think that the Batman I releases are doomed - Most of the new ones don't even come close to the quality of the old ones. Yes, whenever you have rereleases they will go down a bit, but most of the Batman 1 sets have overshot to the downside (creating a buying opportunity) & have come back a bit. I have found that many buyers of the new sets realize how much better the 1st wave was, and are now looking to get them. I agree - I think that the old sets are beautiful. They look more like display pieces (most of the newer ones just look like toys).

Oh I agree. The Batman 1 line is a work of art. I agree about the buying opportunity as a collector for that theme. Not sure if I would buy as an investor anymore unless since I'm not sure how it can appreciate. Anyway, I live my 7888, 7781, 7785, and 7783 sets. I still need the original Batwing set.

Oh I agree. The Batman 1 line is a work of art. I agree about the buying opportunity as a collector for that theme. Not sure if I would buy as an investor anymore unless since I'm not sure how it can appreciate. Anyway, I live my 7888, 7781, 7785, and 7783 sets. I still need the original Batwing set.

In this case, I don't think that the old sets are down because buyers can just go buy the new sets at the store (which is the typical reason). I believe that there are just so many more sellers who are all dumping their sets because they think they need to (before prices go lower). Since there are so many sellers thinking that they should sell, the prices go down - but I haven't seen a decline in buyers wanting the classic ones (If the prices for the classic sets were higher, the collectors would still be buying).

In this case, I don't think that the old sets are down because buyers can just go buy the new sets at the store (which is the typical reason). I believe that there are just so many more sellers who are all dumping their sets because they think they need to (before prices go lower). Since there are so many sellers thinking that they should sell, the prices go down - but I haven't seen a decline in buyers wanting the classic ones (If the prices for the classic sets were higher, the collectors would still be buying).

This is similar to stock dumping (based on speculation) that triggers drastic price declines. This is all about supply and demand. 18+ months ago, demand always exceeded supply for Batman 1. Now, the opposite holds true. Hence, the lower sold prices. Regardless of the reason (refreshed sets or buyers selling lower for no reason), Batman 1 demand is lower than ever.

My opinion can be expressed with an example. Both little Johnny's and his dad love Batman and Lego. The dad wants to buy his son a Batcave. Why would the avg dad like Johnny's spend $200+ on a used older one when a new (as in unopene) one can be had for only $55q to $69? In summaqry, we wouldn't be seeing these Batman 1 price declines if the refreshes weren't made. If a dad wanted to buy his son a Lego Batcave, the only option would be 7783 if 6860 wasn't made . Thus, 7783 would be the only choice in town.

This is similar to stock dumping (based on speculation) that triggers drastic price declines. This is all about supply and demand. 18+ months ago, demand always exceeded supply for Batman 1. Now, the opposite holds true. Hence, the lower sold prices. Regardless of the reason (refreshed sets or buyers selling lower for no reason), Batman 1 demand is lower than ever.

My opinion can be expressed with an example. Both little Johnny's and his dad love Batman and Lego. The dad wants to buy his son a Batcave. Why would the avg dad like Johnny's spend $200+ on a used older one when a new (as in unopene) one can be had for only $55q to $69? In summaqry, we wouldn't be seeing these Batman 1 price declines if the refreshes weren't made. If a dad wanted to buy his son a Lego Batcave, the only option would be 7783 if 6860 wasn't made . Thus, 7783 would be the only choice in town.

I think the reason is very important. If the newer ones were not inferior to the old ones, yes - the old ones would be dead (poor Jabba's Palace). But in this case, that isn't the case. I still find that the demand for the old ones (sets & minifigs) is pretty strong. Prices are what they are & there is no absolute method of justifying them (high or low). Over the years, I have seen fluctuations that could really only be attributed to the fact that that is what people have been paying lately. Take the SDCC NYCC exclusive minifigs, the 1st year they were released to very high demand and you could get them for comparatively cheap prices. The second year prices were higher, so the 1st wave all went up higher. The TMNT exclusives came out with insane prices, right out of the box. If the new SDCC minifigs sell for 300-400, the older 200 ones will go up, but not because supply/demand - it will be because buyers have shown they are clearly willing to pay more.

In my house little Johnny would have to go without if the 7783 was the only choice in town ;)

Hey, same here since most of us on this web site are purists. Once I saw the new Sail Barge. I began shopping for the older 6210 set. Same with the Batman 1 theme. It seems Lego usually does a decent job with refreshes (e.g. the $130 Falcon and Jabba's Palace) but the new Sail Barge, Mini Tumbler, Batwing, and Batcave sets can be considered 'shotty' compared to their older siblings. ...and 99% of every open set I buy are for my son. Hence, this 4 yr old has one nice Batman 1 collection. He also likes those better than the newer ones.

I think the reason is very important. If the newer ones were not inferior to the old ones, yes - the old ones would be dead (poor Jabba's Palace). But in this case, that isn't the case. I still find that the demand for the old ones (sets & minifigs) is pretty strong. Prices are what they are & there is no absolute method of justifying them (high or low). Over the years, I have seen fluctuations that could really only be attributed to the fact that that is what people have been paying lately. Take the SDCC NYCC exclusive minifigs, the 1st year they were released to very high demand and you could get them for comparatively cheap prices. The second year prices were higher, so the 1st wave all went up higher. The TMNT exclusives came out with insane prices, right out of the box. If the new SDCC minifigs sell for 300-400, the older 200 ones will go up, but not because supply/demand - it will be because buyers have shown they are clearly willing to pay more.

Amen about you comment regarding originals being dead in the water (e.g Jabba's Palace that looks like it was built before Jabba had his ga gangsta fortune - ha).

Regarding the other promo examples, I'm not sure if they apply here since those are truly exclusive and not typical sets that can be purchas at retail.