76012 - Batman: The Riddler Chase

jaisonline

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like the set as does my son. The updated Batmobile is great looking, something different. The riddler's dragster is "meh". The minifigs are excellent. Future growth depends if it has the typical 2 yr retail life and if the minifigs are refreshed / remained exclusive.

Small FYI.. The batman minifig is based on "beware of batman" and it seems Cartoon Network has canceled it only after 12 shows.

It includes the Flash, which is probably the biggest plus. If it remains the only set with that figure, it will boost value. As far as buying goes, no, just no. WAY too early to do that unless you come across and substantial discount. Unless something changes, the set will likely be out for around 2 years (gonna say I minimum 18 months is likely), so plenty of time in the future. Overall 76012 is pretty neat, and is sure to be very, very popular once it`s released. Counting on it to be a solid investment as well, provided people don`t start stocking it like the Funhouse and crushing the value  xD

Right on the $$ - there are still old four digit superhero sets kicking around (not many in stores near me, but a couple places have limited stock online) that you should be able to invest in now that are going to turn you a profit much, much sooner.  Then take that profit and invest in the new sets (is the Steamroller the new Funhouse?  It is pretty cool looking and I could see a lot of people stocking up on it) about a year from now.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked one up from the online store and built it.  I like it.  Both vehicles look pretty cool and it has the Flash!

My local TRU and one I hit in Winston-Salem were both sold out at the $39.99 price earlier this week.

I should probably pay attention more to this hobby, I can't believe how much some sets are going for already from the Batman theme.

I saw the Riddler Chase at TRU today.  There was only one left and I was tempted to get it, but it was $39.99, which is $10 over MSRP.  If it hadn't been marked up, I probably would have bought it.  It's a nice looking set.

Toys R Us will price match Lego online. I've had them price match many times, especially when TRU increases their prices during their BOGO 50% sale.

• 8 months later...

It's only been out a year and Flash is coming back in the next wave of DC Super Heroes in January.  If it retires around this time next year it should be good, but if it hangs around like the Funhouse, Lex Armor, and Batcave then that's obviously going to hurt it's value.  Not to mention the Chinese bootlegs on eBay.

chinese bootlegs? on this item in particular or many lego sets? didn't know of such a thing, that's scary.  how can you tell? 

Apparently it is getting difficult to tell the difference. The fakes are getting better by the day, right down to the colours used on the box. I am only buying small SH sets for myself. Dodgy investments now when the fakes can be purchased for a fraction of the price.