10237 - Tower of Orthanc

Funny you say about missing pieces...

The one I built last year had 3x "1x3 Flat plates" instead of "1x4 Flat plates" to go above the windows.

If it was a common fault reported, then they could've recalled sets to have bags replaced.
It might only be a few pieces but it certainly noticeable on the structure once completed

Do you think that it is a good idea to tie up some money with it being listed as OoS or is it the consensus that these orders will be cancelled at some point? Want to use 2x VIP Points on this if possible. 

not entirely tying up money because they won't charge your card until it ships.  i would get one now if you want it or are afraid you'll miss out.  i would expect the order to be filled, and even if not, worth the shot, especially with double VIP pts. 

ToO is not going to perform like Haunted House though, IMO.

No, probably not close to Haunted House, but it still should perform decently 1-2 years after retirement, or perpetual sold out status.  It's been debated on here before, but a $400-500 range 2-3 years after retirement may be reasonable.  Although, there are no new LOTR or Hobbit related movies coming out to spur interest.

No, probably not close to Haunted House, but it still should perform decently 1-2 years after retirement, or perpetual sold out status.  It's been debated on here before, but a $400-500 range 2-3 years after retirement may be reasonable.  Although, there are no new LOTR or Hobbit related movies coming out to spur interest.

I rather they have the movie come out after the retirement of ToO which will take a few years.

I rather they have the movie come out after the retirement of ToO which will take a few years.

That's what I meant.  If the set retires and a new movie comes out, it may help increase post-retirement prices through increased interest. But, LOTR and Hobbit movies are done, unless Peter jackson decides to take on one of JRR Tolkien's works that deals with Middle Earth.

Similar to what people are expecting and already seeing with the Star Wars sets ahead of Star Wars 7 in December.

The Tower of Orthanc is quite interesting in design and build, and a lot more famous than the lego HH.  I think it's going to do quite fine.  I tend to shy away from listening to the naysayers on this site very when it comes to the LOTR/Hobbit lines, because they seem to be wrong.  Shelob Attacks, like someone mentioned is now more than double retail, and it's been out for what 6 to 7 months?  Attack of the Wargs is also now flying higher than retail.  You can't buy this under retail anymore, and same can be said for many other sets that are now OOS.  Sure they may flatline in growth for a few months here and there, but all of them are rising to where they were around Christmas time.  I"m also noticing that many sets are getting scarcer in numbers on ebay than where they once were a few months ago too.  Let the fun begin with this series.

• Like 3

No new movies from Peter Jackson in Middle Earth for the next years. The Tolkien heirs didn't like certain "artistic freedoms" he took with the original material and say they aren't allowing anyone touch The Silmarilion for an adaptation. There are many stories they could adapt but it seems they are fierce in not letting anyone touch them. And on top of that, despite a lot of stories being really good, none is as famous as LoTR or The Hobbit.

So... let's see ToO and other sets climb in value but stagnate due to lack of interest because no new movies out?

• Like 1

Just to clarify, I meant that ToO now is like HH last year in that each set was the last in a discontinued theme remaining in production, so retirement in the next several months could be expected.  I expect ToO to do alright after retirement, but I'm not predicting it will equal HH.  It does look great though, and is the most easily displayable of any large exclusive building.  It has a very small footprint, so you can stand it up anywhere.  I live in a midsize house, but I honestly have nowhere to display something like HH without its getting in the way (granted part of the problem is the stack of 12 MISB HH's that takes up 24 x 20 inches of floor space).  ToO I could stick on a bedside table (though that might be bad mojo; Saruman was a creepy dude).

• Like 1

No new movies from Peter Jackson in Middle Earth for the next years. The Tolkien heirs didn't like certain "artistic freedoms" he took with the original material and say they aren't allowing anyone touch The Silmarilion for an adaptation. There are many stories they could adapt but it seems they are fierce in not letting anyone touch them. And on top of that, despite a lot of stories being really good, none is as famous as LoTR or The Hobbit.

So... let's see ToO and other sets climb in value but stagnate due to lack of interest because no new movies out?

All I got to say is "Harry Potter" and "Indiana Jones".  Those series are still doing well, and I don't think either have new movies on the horizon anytime soon.. Point is that the LOTR is one of the most popular series of the last 20 years. 

All I got to say is "Harry Potter" and "Indiana Jones".  Those series are still doing well, and I don't think either have new movies on the horizon anytime soon.. Point is that the LOTR is one of the most popular series of the last 20 years. 

But according to many here, it's a lukewarm theme that, despite a handfull of sets that increased in price very well, the rest didn't increase that well.

Personally I don't have an opinion on this theme. I came out from the dark ages only last year, missed a lot of themes and sets but bought one ToO (arrived today) and I'm dying to open it because it's awesome.

Thanks, didn't know that about The Silmarilion. I guess Peter Jackson went a bit overboard with the 3 Hobbit movies.  Just watched Battle of the Five Armies and it seems the 3 movies could have been easily condensed into 2 movies.

So, ToO will stand on its own.  

I expressed some skepticism about this set before but I ultimately ended up buying one more. Regardless of how the rest of the theme has done, it can't really be compared to those sets. All of the other LotR sets have been seriously compromised renditions of their respective scenes from the film. The ToO is big, uncompromised and a great display piece, which may be the single most important criteria when evaluating a set for AFOL consumption. I'm still not sure it's going to skyrocket or anything like that but I don't think there's a ton of risk in it either.

Edited by bricketycricket